Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 level back fussion question
clipped wings Wrote:Hello highdsertguy...I have to say every person is different, every surgeon,injury,etc. as I'm sure you know. I am extremely frustrated after my level 3 spinal fusion. I have constant pain while sitting,standing,walking for more than 20 minutes. I am lying on my back constantly...even then I have pain. It has been since June08 I had the surgeries. I am seeing ortho here(not the surgeon who performed the surgery).He knows that with this procedure, he said about 70% of his patients are happy they had the surgery...the other 30% are not happy(I suppose for different reasons). I basically traded herniated disc pain,leg pains,etc. for different pains.I fall into the 30%..not at all happy.This is a personal decision for sure...I believe I made the choice I thought best at the time. Even with much phys rehab,it is still painful...perhaps my spine is more stable now...yes,it feels like it is
one long stiffly glued column. I cannot bend much at all...very limited mobility. I cannot return to my job. Try to talk with others before you decide to do this. From your last procedure to improve how you walk by a fraction...was it worth it???? I wish you the best!!

thanks for your reply, I honestly feel that I shouldnt do this surgery.
I thin k the benefit for me will be minimum
my brother had this surgery in 2006, he died in 2009
after years of pain,he was taking too many drugs for pain.
i honestly believed that the surgery I already had didnt help enough.
Iam still taking even more medication then before.
I truly believed I only changed the pain location
to a different side,even though doctor said it did help me.
I think he is just covering his ,,,s wish you the best!

I chose not to do the surgery I had a cervical fusion and they wanted to do a spinal fusion but had so much scar tissue with the cervical fusion they advised agaisnt the spinal one....I am not in charge of the amount of meds I take..my husband keeps my meds....I try floating in the pool,heat pads and the hot tub before meds....you cant let your brothers problem scare you....but be informed...if you are afraid let someone else hold your meds.....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

highdesertguy Wrote:can anyone who had this type of surgery give me some advice
I had a 3 level laminectomy- discetomy
the pain only got worst after surgery. got new MRI
doctor now recomending a 3 level back fussion.
Iam terrified about this type of surgeries
having had A brother that past away in 2009
after 3 years of dealing with the pain of a 2 level fussion.
his pain was so bad that hydrocodone killed him..
I would appreciate your input and thank you all
for all the information and help I have received!

The only answer for your question is within you. Only you know the answer as to what your body is telling you.

As for medication, I can't speak to what happen to your brother or why it took place. It doesn't mean it will happen to you. I just don't understand how hydrocodone killed him, unless he was taken it when he shouldn't have or taking way to much when he should not have. I know, pain can make people do strange things to themself when taking meds. There are safer ways, but it is also self controled.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 level acdf c5-t1 sore neck 6 2,505 09-10-2016, 04:00 PM
Last Post: sore neck
  Approaching my mmi after a 2 level acdf surgery and the nightmare has no end in sight gopack4mvp2 5 6,897 10-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Cost of 2 level spinal fusion in Illinois chicagoHdiscs 2 10,140 11-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Last Post: nursedina
  3 level fusion praders1 9 11,565 09-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  bad back question jimmyny 0 1,658 08-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Last Post: jimmyny
  At MMI-Illinois Claim-3 Level Spinal Fusion clipped wings 6 13,432 08-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Last Post: jayne
  3 level laminectomy-diskectomy,recovery highdesertguy 2 9,948 03-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Last Post: 1171
  3 level laminectomy-discetomy recovery highdesertguy 3 5,854 11-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  question on how long it takes for an answer back? blake 11 5,399 05-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Last Post: UndercovrAngel
  3 level laminectomie surgery highdesertguy 9 8,440 04-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Last Post: AQA