Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 level back fussion question
can anyone who had this type of surgery give me some advice
I had a 3 level laminectomy- discetomy
the pain only got worst after surgery. got new MRI
doctor now recomending a 3 level back fussion.
Iam terrified about this type of surgeries
having had A brother that past away in 2009
after 3 years of dealing with the pain of a 2 level fussion.
his pain was so bad that hydrocodone killed him..
I would appreciate your input and thank you all
for all the information and help I have received!

Where is the nerve impinged????? If not, then what is the explaination for the pain?????

I have had a single micro laminectomy/discectomy. That surgery allowed me to walk again. ( with a limp, but I do walk ). It was followed by a single level fusion. There were a few reasons as to why I elected to have that surgery. The main one was because I was able to see the impinged nerve in the mri films.

I will be on meds. (one of which is hydrocodone) and the scs for the rest of my life.

I wish you the best.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

AQA Wrote:Where is the nerve impinged????? If not, then what is the explaination for the pain?????

I have had a single micro laminectomy/discectomy. That surgery allowed me to walk again. ( with a limp, but I do walk ). It was followed by a single level fusion. There were a few reasons as to why I elected to have that surgery. The main one was because I was able to see the impinged nerve in the mri films.

I will be on meds. (one of which is hydrocodone) and the scs for the rest of my life.

I wish you the best.

the MRI shows 3 of my discs herniated badly L3-L4-L5
show 7mm 7 mm amd 6mm herniation
as the doctor explained to me the laminectomy was to help me
walk better,he said I had spinal stenosis so I needed to have that procedure,unfortunally that doesnt take care of the herniation on my discs, and you are Right on the Mri I could see clearly the damage
on the discs,what makes me nervous is 3 levels fussion.
wont this cause more unstability on my spinal cord>
thanks ..wish you the best..easy on the hydrocodone

My look on the situation is that if there are no complications. It will be more stable. You will have no flexation at the point of the fusion.

The issue of seeing the impinged nerve/s is a serious one. The longer the nerve/s are impinged. The less the chance of the nerve fully recovering.

That type of surgery is going to keep you out of commission for 6 months to a year. I forget, are you receiving SSDI????
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

AQA Wrote:My look on the situation is that if there are no complications. It will be more stable. You will have no flexation at the point of the fusion.

The issue of seeing the impinged nerve/s is a serious one. The longer the nerve/s are impinged. The less the chance of the nerve fully recovering.

That type of surgery is going to keep you out of commission for 6 months to a year. I forget, are you receiving SSDI????

I applied for ssi in 2009, currently receiving state disability
and also some money from the carrier in advance
for a possible settlement,my workers comp benefits ended in july.
thanks for your helpful info.

fusions do stress the the discs above and below the fusion site.
you also don't want to do too few levels-its not a procedure thats easier when repeated.

discuss with your doctor as to the minimum level of improvement (pain, Rx usage, functioning, etc.) that you need for it to be a "success."
all too often there is not a clear understanding between the patient and the physician as to what will be an acceptable outcome.
would you have the surgery if only marginal improvement was most likely?

Be aware there are a number of studies that show spinal fusion patients on workers' compensation have significantly less improvement of clinical outcomes as well as significantly less number of patients achieving substantial clinical benefit then those not on comp. patients on workers' compensation remain more disabled after lumbar fusion.

this site gives a summary of the many medical studies that have be done and has interesting information.
http://www.docguide.com
use the search function to get a list of studies in a particular area like spinal fusion
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I do agree with 1171. The upper and lower vertebrae has to carry the wieght (work) for the fused vertebrae. My comment was in reference to the spinal cord.

1171 Wrote:fusions do stress the the discs above and below the fusion site.
you also don't want to do too few levels-its not a procedure thats easier when repeated.

discuss with your doctor as to the minimum level of improvement (pain, Rx usage, functioning, etc.) that you need for it to be a "success."
all too often there is not a clear understanding between the patient and the physician as to what will be an acceptable outcome.

Be aware there are a number of studies that show spinal fusion patients on workers' compensation have significantly less improvement of clinical outcomes as well as significantly less number of patients achieving substantial clinical benefit then those not on comp. patients on workers' compensation remain more disabled after lumbar fusion.

this site gives a summary of the many medical studies that have be done and has interesting information.
use the search function to get a list of studies in a particular area like spinal fusion

thanks again for all your help and advice, I do apreciate it.
one of the things that this doctor told me yesterday
is that I will have pain for the rest of my life and all he can do.
is make it better, less pain, but then again.
thats what the other doctor told me before the laminectomy.
I can walk better the before that surgery.
but with this pain I now have, I honestly think.
it was a big price to pay only to improve my walking.(a little bit)
i will look at this website 1171 ,thanks again

highdesertguy Wrote:
1171 Wrote:fusions do stress the the discs above and below the fusion site.

thanks again for all your help and advice, I do apreciate it.
one of the things that this doctor told me yesterday
is that I will have pain for the rest of my life and all he can do.
is make it better, less pain, but then again.
thats what the other doctor told me before the laminectomy.
I can walk better the before that surgery.
but with this pain I now have, I honestly think.
it was a big price to pay only to improve my walking.(a little bit)
i will look at this website 1171 ,thanks again

Hello highdsertguy...I have to say every person is different, every surgeon,injury,etc. as I'm sure you know. I am extremely frustrated after my level 3 spinal fusion. I have constant pain while sitting,standing,walking for more than 20 minutes. I am lying on my back constantly...even then I have pain. It has been since June08 I had the surgeries. I am seeing ortho here(not the surgeon who performed the surgery).He knows that with this procedure, he said about 70% of his patients are happy they had the surgery...the other 30% are not happy(I suppose for different reasons). I basically traded herniated disc pain,leg pains,etc. for different pains.I fall into the 30%..not at all happy.This is a personal decision for sure...I believe I made the choice I thought best at the time. Even with much phys rehab,it is still painful...perhaps my spine is more stable now...yes,it feels like it is
one long stiffly glued column. I cannot bend much at all...very limited mobility. I cannot return to my job. Try to talk with others before you decide to do this. From your last procedure to improve how you walk by a fraction...was it worth it???? I wish you the best!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 level acdf c5-t1 sore neck 6 2,689 09-10-2016, 04:00 PM
Last Post: sore neck
  Approaching my mmi after a 2 level acdf surgery and the nightmare has no end in sight gopack4mvp2 5 7,135 10-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Cost of 2 level spinal fusion in Illinois chicagoHdiscs 2 10,263 11-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Last Post: nursedina
  3 level fusion praders1 9 11,737 09-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  bad back question jimmyny 0 1,696 08-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Last Post: jimmyny
  At MMI-Illinois Claim-3 Level Spinal Fusion clipped wings 6 13,727 08-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Last Post: jayne
  3 level laminectomy-diskectomy,recovery highdesertguy 2 10,146 03-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Last Post: 1171
  3 level laminectomy-discetomy recovery highdesertguy 3 5,934 11-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  question on how long it takes for an answer back? blake 11 5,586 05-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Last Post: UndercovrAngel
  3 level laminectomie surgery highdesertguy 9 8,576 04-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Last Post: AQA