Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chemical Sensitivity - nurse visit tomorrow
Cycler, I have seen what I wrote take place in the past, I would not say it, if it were not true to have taken place.

But, I also say, they don't need to be in ones home, meet them elsewhere. never let them in your home, they don't need to see how you live.

Another thing is, a NCM isn't always sent so soon in a work comp case. Only when there is said to be an issue with fumes and such, and then their sent right away, to try and say it's caused elsewhere or from other things. I have seen case denied because of it.

Cycler Wrote:Nonsense. If you have cleaned things out as you say then the NCM cannot report otherwise. Also, not ALL scents and chemicals will set it off and the literature supports that.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:(NCM) Nurse case Manager.

Why are they coming to your house? It's easy to answer. They come to your home, they are going to be looking around, they will ask to use the washroom and such. Why? Because they are looking for scents, chemicals and such, that are related to what you now claim are bothering you. Then if they find one single thing, they will say your problem started from your home and not work. Trying to then end your work comp claim. Why? Because you had just started working at such employer.

You never ever have a visit in your home ever. You always tell people to meet you in a place such as a McDonalds or Library.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

NCM's are MOST effective when engaged early on, the fact that they are often not does not negate that. THe fact that YOU have seen something is neither here nor there in my opinion. There is no harm and much to gain by a home meeting in this case in my opinion. You want a public place to discuss private medical matters which must delve into past medical histories etc ?

Well, far be it from me to rob you of the last word in any thread so go ahead , I've stated my opinion and rationale.

Toungue 
Hi from NY. I worked in the medical field for over 20 years. I worked a lot of group homes. My chemical allergies started around 13yrs old and each year got a bit worse. At the home I was in after 5 yrs had a management change and it was bad. We got a new worker that bathed eveything in bleach. At first it was not too bad, then I could not breathe and went into shock. The house offered to add lemon scent to the bleach. Stupid, and I worked in a medical home!! Then air fresheners they knew I was allergic to were put in place. My doctor tried to interviene & I contacted board of labor. Instead of changing brands, I was given a large painters mask that did not allow speaking or eating when worn. I was given a copy of NYS Regs underlined that once given the mask they were off the hook. I left in 6mo. Running around in a painters mask passing morning meds was absured. About a week before I left I developed adult onset asthma.
Now along with inhalors I take 100mg of hydroxyzine to keep me out of ER. I went into another field where I got injured. I have never worked with a comp nurse, but I know plenty of nurse managers that went to homes to do evaluations. There is plenty of paperwork and do you really want your vitals done in McDonalds? They may even need a blood draw. It is cheaper than sending you into an office for medical history and present state of health. Sorry to be so long but it can be dangerous. I am now over 50 and last year I spent a week in ICU on life support. You should find the best allergist you can whether comp pays or not. Been there done that. Yuk. Bernie
L shoulder torn 3.5" R shoulder damaged. Heart damage, carpal tunnel (L&R) cataplexy/narcolepsy, arthritis, hypoglycemic. +. Bernie

never had a NCM do a blood draw and never will its not her job.....nor vitals nor any other medicals.....My husband NCM visits was always over the phone she called after every Drs visit after she spoke to the Dr she never went to one as she didnt want to come between him and his Dr. She was supportive she was able to be a bridge between him and his Dr and his job.....
When I got hurt several years later I was Okay with getting a NCM until I got her...she didnt like MY Dr she didnt like MY Appt time she didnt like anything I did and went behind MY back trying to change everything...My Dr had clinic only 3 mornings a week she wanted afternoon appts......her didnt allow NCMs in the room with the patients for the patients appt they could make an appt afterwards to see him.....she made every appt a living hell.....My lawyer fired her and we refused another......so Ihave witnessed both if they do the jod they are supposed to do they can make this WC thing go very smooth......if they choose to they can really make it a living hell.........
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Never had a good!!!! will not ever have one again!!!! and thank the lord its NOT required where i live!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bottom line my advice-----if you incounter any difficulties,suspious behavior or false information supplied to the carrier---BAILLLLLLLLLLLLL hey, ya never know maybe u could find a decent one!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toungue 
Hi Jayne, really miss your dancing green man.
As I said I never worked with a comp nurse manager. When I went with our nurse manager it was only to help out and for those with severe hearing problems, I would sign the questions and answers.
As I got burned by WC, I would be leary of everything. I guess I just feel more at ease in my own home. Good Luck, Bernie
L shoulder torn 3.5" R shoulder damaged. Heart damage, carpal tunnel (L&R) cataplexy/narcolepsy, arthritis, hypoglycemic. +. Bernie

me too sometimes Bernie.....he will be back nov 2011
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:(NCM) Nurse case Manager.

Why are they coming to your house? It's easy to answer. They come to your home, they are going to be looking around, they will ask to use the washroom and such. Why? Because they are looking for scents, chemicals and such, that are related to what you now claim are bothering you. Then if they find one single thing, they will say your problem started from your home and not work. Trying to then end your work comp claim. Why? Because you had just started working at such employer.

You never ever have a visit in your home ever. You always tell people to meet you in a place such as a McDonalds or Library.

I completely agree with BBBB. Meet somewhere else.

CavScout Wrote:Hi All,
Yes I'm a newbie, but I did search for a thread that similar and didn't find one. I work in Minnesota, but live in Wisconsin.

I have an accepted claim from WC for an extreme sensitivity to a fragrance that we use at work. New job, new fragrance, didn't really bother me that much for a week or so. Then it really kicked in and I got a splitting headache, numbness and tingling in fingertips, parts of my face, my nose, nausea, and more not-fun stuff. Anyway it's been cruddy at work. I have to wear a respirator when I'm near the stuff, but the dang stuff if EVERYWHERE. Not only that, but my boss thinks I'm faking it and that is really messing with my head.

My claim was accepted by Fireman's Fund and now they are sending a nurse to visit me at home tomorrow. They told me I'd receive paperwork in the mail and I haven't seen a thing but one small check. I'm a little freaked out after reading all the posts here about how they're going to try and cut benefits as soon as they can. The problem with the sensitivity is that now other people's cologne and perfume also make me sick. I had to leave a store today because of it. From what my doctor has told me, an allergist, this is going to stick with me the rest of my life. I'm really going to watch what I say tomorrow, but I'm worried about it and am thinking of hiring a lawyer.

Are there any other chemical sensitive people out there who can share their story with me?

Hi CavScout, and welcome.

Like you, I had a NCM (not in my home) and like you, I was suspicious as well. My advice to you is this...when he/she comes to your home, make sure YOU take control of the conversation. Don't be rash, but casually ask him/her (after they have identified themselves), questions such as:

1. Can you bring me up to speed on how you became involved in my case, and why?
2. With my condition, how is a NCM helpful to me?
3. How long have you been doing this?
4. Have you read up on my case, or condition? And if so are you familiar with this condition? Would you elaborate?
5. Will you be at my doctors appointments, and if so I would prefer to
be seen in the exam room alone. When we are DONE I will send for
for you to come in.
6. I prefer not to discuss my family affairs, job, or social life.
7. I would prefer if our next visit not be here in my home, but rather
somewhere mutual, and where my condition will not be affected.

These are just a few ways to control the conversation. If need be make sure to write down your answers, and have some member of your family present as a witness to their response. If at all possible have someone other than just the NCM at your doc visits as well. Do not get too comfortable with this person. Don't be lure into a false sense of security. Do not volunteer any information unless you deem it necessary for this person to know. Even then, think about it twice before revealing it. You are not being sneaky, it's just that you need to remember who you are dealing with, and whom they represent.

Last but not least call for a free initial consultation with an attorney. Don't be in a rush to accept the first one you talk to. Make several different calls, and then decide. The one thing you said in your post that stuck in my mind was this statement: "Not only that, but my boss thinks I'm faking it and that is really messing with my head."

That's might get worse, and WC isn't known for their suddilty. This is why you need an attorney, in your corner to help alleviate some of your stress. Let him/her go up against the big boys.
If your boss is harassing you at work, or threatens you in some manner with termination.
Your attorney would be more that happy to deal with that. Heck, you might even wonder to yourself, "now why would something like that get my attorney excited! In a nut-shell, do as much research on your condition as you can. Don't appear to the NCM, that you don't have a clue about what you are dealing with. If you need crib notes, that's okay too. You can say, "I've done my own research and this is what I've found to be true...FOR ME!

Remember, you should not be in this alone. We are here if you to vent, or just talk. But an attorney has the power, something none of us have. Don't forget to pray.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, nor do I give legal advice. The above is only an opinion, and not to be taken as legal advice in any form.

Lefty
Injury date 11/2008; left upper extremity; CRPS; bilateral cubital tunnel syndrome; carpal tunnel syndrome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nurse case manager jdx4 24 30,134 03-08-2017, 07:35 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Chemical Exposure rgoines 0 1,443 01-24-2015, 12:31 AM
Last Post: rgoines
  Hospice nurse new to this process happybalance 9 7,835 12-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Last Post: Timothy Belt
  Just assigned a Nurse Case Manager...what do I need to know? cherokeegal 21 17,572 08-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Last Post: hurt back
  First visit with Nurse Case Manager hurt back 22 21,278 07-29-2012, 05:07 PM
  Meeting with nurse case manager hurt back 20 22,471 07-10-2012, 06:00 PM
  Chemical Exposure danitaw63 0 1,737 11-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Last Post: danitaw63
Sad chemical injury at work need advice mirland 2 6,163 10-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Last Post: povertyrow
  Chemical Exposure in Illinois injuredinil2 6 3,733 10-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Last Post: injuredinil2
Rolleyes Why Would My Attorney Okay A Nurse Case Manager for me? lefty 4 6,524 04-30-2010, 12:53 AM
Last Post: lefty