Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
disc damage and wc questions
This is going to sound cold blooded, but maybe it will get a point across.

Let me see if I have this correct. You were injured, you can not work, a FCE has been requested, you are at MMI and you are going to wait until you run out of monitary benifits from WC to apply for SSDI. Unless your attorney advices you to do so before hand. Even though the road to SSDI approval can take up to two years. Or longer.

Do I have all that correct???????? If so, what are you going to do for monitay gain????? Remember, you can't work.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

well i was under the impression that i had to be determined dissabled first. if they think thats what im gonna have to do thats what ill do but im only 31 and have a family to feed im still hoping someway or somehow i might be able to get past this all and eventually do something! in all honesty its alot of mental stuff to deal with as far as even my pride is concerned, ive only been dealing with all this for almost ten months and to some this may not be a long time but its still a hard pill to swallow!

I agree, It is alot to swallow.

From what you have said. You were reffered to a Pain Management dr.. That tells me there is nothing more medically that can be done for your condition. With the exception of managing the pain. There are several here that have gone through that and are dealing with it.

As far as being determined disabled. That is what SSA is going to do. SSDI and WC are totally seperate entities with different rules.

You mentioned your age. I was 39 when I was injured and 40 when approved for SSDI. Your age does not determine if you are disabled. The bottom line is this. CAN YOU WORK????????? Any kind of work ????????

It is something you may want to seriously think about.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

My goodness, and I though I was in bad shape. How were you hurt?

so, how did you manage to injure all those discs in a work injury ?

well its kinda a long story i am a utility mechanic (public water) and my job is 100% physical whether had diging holes big enough to bury small cars in or pushing a 250lb trencher through grass, and working on my hands and knees every day. it just seems to be degenerative. in october 09 i went to the wc clinic after i felt a pop in my lower back (it kinda felt like a guitar string was plucked in my back) their clinic said i had muscle spasms and i was put on light duty for three days. after the three days i went back to the clinic and the pa did a set of x-rays and released me to full duty. she said she didnt see anything other than some pre existing stuffand she was releasing me but i would have to come back in two weeks for mmi. i was like what pre existing stuff but it wasnt that bad so i went back to full duty,about a week and a half later i was at our warehouse loading up some stuff and i bent over to pick up a gasket and i couldnt stand back up the pain was insane! i went back to wc clinic a different dr this time did another x-ray and he showed me and said i needed an mri . that mri was just of my lumbar , so i started seeing a nuero and he ordered pt with traction and massage. i started the pt in jan and by the end of the month i was telling the pt that i had pain in my upper back between my shoulder blades, she just kept tellin me i had pulled muscles and i needed a harder workout from just sittin around. she made me do pushups and situp ect, well that only made it worse. finally after seeing my nuero twice more and another different pt i got and atty cause the pain was so bad and no one was listening in the end of march and with in two weeks i had another mri showin all the damage! the thing that angers me is when the pa at the wc clinic released me and said the pre existin comment i found out her husband is the city's assistant atty, i work for the local city and she is making deciscions on peoples life like that working for the city clinic! i would think she would have a major conflict of interest! well need less to say since me she has been let go!

Gotcha.
You won't be happy to know then that the medical research on spine is that there is a genetic predisposition to disc deterioration and herniations in almost all adult cases ( despite what the lawyers may think of the matter ) as the employers side will surely put forth in defense of pre-existing.

It would be the rare WC claim that accepts so many spine levels absent falling off a building or such, even then only a few levels are usually damaged. I think you are in for a protracted battle. Good Luck.

thanks ya i am aware of the bleak out look im just confused as to what to do legally and medically im not ready to give up on life but sometimes the pain eats at my mind and leaves me somewhat helpless!

been there done that as all of us that did heavy work....you need a really good lawyer...and you need to have a sit down with the SSDI people now it can take months to years to get it..... some of us have been lucky and got it in a few months but some on here waited years.....you may get lucky and also get some retraining being you are so young.....Mind games are part of the injury you have to be your own best friend not your own worst enemy....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

to all i appreciate the input it was nice to find this forum very good opinion and advice here! im givin my attys one more week to get me some appts goin or im gonna look for some council elsewhere!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So your doctor says you have a herniated or bulging disc California_Help 5 1,941 02-28-2020, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Jmrbutlerbey
  HELP! Injured, two disc fusion surgeries, permanent nerve damage,dont know what to do Blackhawks19 5 2,295 10-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  nerve damage STRATTONJE 2 2,384 09-01-2017, 01:54 PM
Last Post: STRATTONJE
  Settling a lifetime medical on a herniated disc claim Peanut 2 5,311 06-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Last Post: 1171
  epidural injections for herniated disc? nurse83 22 43,183 04-08-2016, 01:37 AM
Last Post: pattik1130
  Advise for workers comp claim. Only 20yrs old w/ damage to disc in lower back!! brandnew23 17 27,251 01-11-2016, 10:24 PM
  Aprox PPD rating for DDD Lumbar Disc Replacement Wabackinjury 3 5,630 07-18-2015, 12:02 AM
  TIP to view medical images on disc... 1171 5 7,747 07-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Scooter123
Wink Back injury from work 2011 now having nerve damage Rebecca 8 17,229 04-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Last Post: California_Help
Question pain coming back 6yrs after disc replacement RockyTopVFL 6 10,228 04-01-2013, 07:59 AM
Last Post: hamrs_62