Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work Comp Along With Employer Offered Long Term Disability Insurance?
I was injured in Oregon and worked for the state. I purchased a Long Term Disability Policy that pays 66% of my wages after 180 days of being off. I am almost at 180 days and am wondering how trying to claim these benefits would affect my workers compensation.

I paid for this coverage out of my own pocket but my bi-weekly reports I have to send the IC ask about any disability payments I receive.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

It's an Insurance you pay for, for your protection. As if you were hurt off the job also, it pays you. Work comp is also an insurance that pays you, but paid by the employer, with State Laws and Rules.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

workers comp doesn't bar income; it does bar working and wages while receiving temporary disability.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Hi injuredinidaho, im no w/comp ssi or disablity expert only have my own human experiences. I too had long term disability for which I paid. as urs it would kick in at 180 days. Please remember each policy can be different--my work comp was not affected nor the amount i recieved from long term. however, once i recieved ssdi and it was more than the percent long term paid---long term paid the minimum amount under the policy. most long tern insurances have a minium amount they have to pay out regardless of ur other income. Also the long term insurance co will probably require u to apply for social security. In a way it is a good thing as they usually have their own social security attys who do ur case for free. Its all about ltd paying out as little as possible. Read ur contract or call the company direct--unlike work comp the ltd co is extremely nice and helpful.

cheers!!!

p.s. get ur medical records in order now ltd will require them from day one before they consider u disabled and elidegable for benefits like i said my own experiences with two co's good luck!!!

Fireball
Very good supplied information....
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

fireball Wrote:Hi injuredinidaho, im no w/comp ssi or disablity expert only have my own human experiences. I too had long term disability for which I paid. as urs it would kick in at 180 days. Please remember each policy can be different--my work comp was not affected nor the amount i recieved from long term. however, once i recieved ssdi and it was more than the percent long term paid---long term paid the minimum amount under the policy. most long tern insurances have a minium amount they have to pay out regardless of ur other income. Also the long term insurance co will probably require u to apply for social security. In a way it is a good thing as they usually have their own social security attys who do ur case for free. Its all about ltd paying out as little as possible. Read ur contract or call the company direct--unlike work comp the ltd co is extremely nice and helpful.

cheers!!!

p.s. get ur medical records in order now ltd will require them from day one before they consider u disabled and elidegable for benefits like i said my own experiences with two co's good luck!!!

Fireball,

My situation was the exact opposite of yours. I began receiving LTD in February of 08 through my employer. I began receiving my 14 weeks of WC IIBS in April of 08. When the LTD company found out that I was receiving wc payments, I received a letter telling me that I owed them over $2600. Then I started receiving SSDI which complicated the situation even more. Last I heard last August.. I still owed LTD $1600. I would have been receiving the minimal LTD to date $110), if it weren't for the over payment.

In fact, my to do list has the LTD company on it to see what I still owe them. Once the over payment has been cleared, the LTD company will have to resume my payments. Smile Just in time for medicare to start withholding their payments from my SSDI.

So your reply was spot on. The poster needs to check with his long term disability carrier (or policy) to make sure which will hold true. Some LTD companies will only pay a certain percentage of disability if you are receiving other compensation for the disability, while others won't. It all depends upon the policy you have.

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

Thanks for all of your responses. It doesnt seem as it will be much of a benefit as the minimum payment is 50.00 a week and workers comp is deductible. My 180 days is up and I only have 90 days to report to the IC. I will go ahead and get this in motion because who knows the outcome of WC and how long it will take me to get better.

injuredinidaho Wrote:Thanks for all of your responses. It doesnt seem as it will be much of a benefit as the minimum payment is 50.00 a week and workers comp is deductible. My 180 days is up and I only have 90 days to report to the IC. I will go ahead and get this in motion because who knows the outcome of WC and how long it will take me to get better.

WoW, I sure hope you aren't or haven't been paying for this Insurance that will only pay-out $50.00 if you ever needed it. Seems like a total waste of money spent to have this type of Insurance. almost as if it's a total Scam.

Sorry if my wording was confusing...I meant it will only cover an additional $50 a week along with my workers compensation. Without WC, I would receive 66.66% of my salary.

injuredinidaho Wrote:Sorry if my wording was confusing...I meant it will only cover an additional $50 a week along with my workers compensation. Without WC, I would receive 66.66% of my salary.

Okay, I am sorry about that too then. So the Long Term Disability Policy Insurance is then said to be adjusted or offset then by any outside income such as work comp benefits.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Workers Comp and Social Sercurity Disability? PanthersRowell 45 39,891 03-11-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Settling a work comp claim in Arizona Kosmo 2 658 02-24-2021, 02:09 AM
Last Post: gustavowoltmann
  What to settle first work comp or personal injury - NY sickofpain2020 1 881 11-11-2020, 07:58 PM
  Can Work Comp Appeals Board order retirement? Amanda15 6 4,441 06-24-2020, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Amanda15
  Work comp adjuster changing doctors CA kibby 12 4,897 06-13-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: richard_girling
Shy Work related/induced stress & workers comp heartworkerNC 7 8,273 02-20-2019, 08:16 AM
Last Post: TerryLewis
  ust now Can I quit my job and do freelance work during workers comp? caworkerscompqs 1 2,130 01-30-2019, 04:32 PM
  Drawing umemployment off your work comp Bets 8 3,749 01-12-2019, 02:41 PM
Last Post: tbear6410
Question Employer avoiding using workmans comp tinainky 160 73,074 01-09-2019, 11:23 PM
Last Post: tinainky
  Work Comp Lien with Fradulent Amounts samistheman 5 6,391 10-29-2018, 05:10 PM