Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If I refuse surgery - what happens?
Back Injury
Date of Injury: 1/2007
State: Texas

MRI: A 2mm bulge at L4-5 has a superimposed 5mm left paracentral protrusion, which effaces the left subarticular recess, compressing the left L5 nerve root.  Correlation with left L5 radiculopathy is suggested.  An annular fissure is present in the protrusion.  The bulge also causes mild stenosis of the right L4-5 foramen.

Neurosurgeon: Because this is a pretty large disc herniation and due to the amount of pain, we do think that surgery is the best option. We recommend having a microdiscectomy at L4-5 on the left.  

I have tried steroid injections with little improvement.  Neurosurgeon is recommending surgery.  I want to make sure I understand all of my options but am not sure what happens if I refuse the surgery.  I am very scared of letting someone at my spine however I cannot sit, stand or walk for any length of time in the condition that I am in at present.  But at least I can sit, stand and walk in my present condition.  Any help will be very appreciated and Thanks in advance.

Deb you are in Texas maybe I can help , but the answer to the question "If I refuse suregery what will happen?" They will place you at MMI , you will have open medical for life as long as it is related to the injury.
Have you had your choice of Drs.?

~Dallas307~
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

PS:
getting an attorney in Texas comes out of your TTD-TIB- weekly checks so that is not so good if I can help you OK?

~Dallas307~
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Deb~
Normally if you refuse surgery, the WC doctor and the Insurance Carrier will get you placed at MMI and will either try OR will cut your benefits - and later offer you a low-ball settlement hoping that you will accept, sign and disappear into oblivion.

BTW, that's a really cute avatar!

Wink Wrote:Deb~
Normally if you refuse surgery, the WC doctor and the Insurance Carrier will get you placed at MMI and will either try OR will cut your benefits - and later offer you a low-ball settlement hoping that you will accept, sign and disappear into oblivion.

There are no settlements in Texas. So if you do not have a dispute  you really do not need an atty. as I mentioned above attorney fees come out of weekly benefits and will come out of the rating benefits until they are paid out, which ever comes first. and the state also provide Ombudsmen if you want to talk with one for free.

~Dallas307~

Dallas307 Wrote:

There are no settlements in Texas. So if you do not have a dispute  you really do not need an atty. as I mentioned above attorney fees come out of weekly benefits and will come out of the rating benefits until they are paid out, which ever comes first. and the state also provide Ombudsmen if you want to talk with one for free.

Dallas~
Come again?  You say there are NO settlements in Texas??[Image: 4_12_6.gif] Have the laws in Texas changed recently?

Wink Wrote:
Dallas307 Wrote:

Dallas~
Come again?  There are NO settlements in Texas??[Image: 4_12_6.gif] Have the laws in Texas changed recently?
There have been no settlements in Texas since 1991- you can never settle out your medical benefits related to your on the job injury for the date of injury you are currently  dealing with--------there are impairment benefits- which pay 3 weeks of impairment  rate 3  weeks for each percent-anything after 15% can provide supplemental benefits- if you qualify-----

~Dallas307~

Deb Wrote:Back Injury
Date of Injury: 1/2007
State: Texas

MRI: A 2mm bulge at L4-5 has a superimposed 5mm left paracentral protrusion, which effaces the left subarticular recess, compressing the left L5 nerve root.  Correlation with left L5 radiculopathy is suggested.  An annular fissure is present in the protrusion.  The bulge also causes mild stenosis of the right L4-5 foramen.

Neurosurgeon: Because this is a pretty large disc herniation and due to the amount of pain, we do think that surgery is the best option. We recommend having a microdiscectomy at L4-5 on the left.  

I have tried steroid injections with little improvement.  Neurosurgeon is recommending surgery.  I want to make sure I understand all of my options but am not sure what happens if I refuse the surgery.  I am very scared of letting someone at my spine however I cannot sit, stand or walk for any length of time in the condition that I am in at present.  But at least I can sit, stand and walk in my present condition.  Any help will be very appreciated and Thanks in advance.

Have you gone for second & third opinions to see what is best for you? Also do some research on microdiscectomy, that way you can get a better sense as to what the surgery will entail.
Babebahn..."Tongues don't have erasers"
Injured 1999 3 level anterior cervical fusion 2001
Settled Work Comp Case 2006 w/ Lifetime Medical Currently, C7-T1 is being watched will possibly need surgery front/back fusion from C3-T2, lower back needs another facet injection.

Wink Wrote:
Dallas307 Wrote:

Dallas~
Come again?  There are NO settlements in Texas??[Image: 4_12_6.gif] Have the laws in Texas changed recently?
There have been no settlements in Texas since 1991- you can never settle out your medical benefits and will be covered for any medical related to your on the job injury for the date of injury you are currently  dealing with--------there are impairment benefits- which pay 3 weeks of impairment  rate 3  weeks for each percent-anything after 15% can provide supplemental benefits- if you qualify-----

~Dallas307~

Wink Wrote:
Dallas307 Wrote:

Dallas~
There have been no settlements in Texas since 1991- you can never settle out your medical benefits related to your on the job injury for the date of injury you are currently  dealing with--------there are impairment benefits- which pay 3 weeks of impairment  rate 3  weeks for each percent-anything after 15% can provide supplemental benefits- if you qualify-----

~Dallas307~

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Employer Reject Settlement Offers Refuse To Settle koolgus 21 12,345 09-20-2016, 01:41 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Are my benifits at risk of being modified if I refuse back surgery? slipperydisc 1 3,802 12-06-2014, 07:30 PM
  Refuse surgery? TheAngels 1 2,561 11-24-2014, 07:56 PM
Sad When does Workmans Comp start to refuse coverage grinninh 9 45,623 10-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  Can I refuse the FCE? c0436 6 9,201 08-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Last Post: freebird