Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injured & Need Advice (herniated discs, etc)
LAMINECTOMY AND DISCECTOMY

I have yet to hear any good stories that come from people having such a surgery, when other surgies would be much better. Never heard a long term good result yet from this type surgery.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

8-05 Micro laminectomy/discectomy.

I went to the emergency room because I could not walk with my left leg. That surgery allowed me to walk again. I walk with a limp, but I do walk.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on my situation.

I am in a lot of pain, but lucky that I am able to walk even if it is with pain. My orthopedic surgeon told me that the studies show that people who have surgery, and people who wait it out most often end up in the same place. The only difference is that people who have surgery are more likely to feel relief quickly. However, having surgery increases your chances of multiple surgeries in the future.

I am starting to worry that my injury will have an effect on my career, which requires a lot of upper body movement. It's looking like I am done with golf, lifting, and running as well. It's getting tough to stay positive about the whole thing. It has become obvious that no matter what my lawyer is able to get me in the way of "compensation" is going to be worth the pain and suffering.

DESERT GUY - what exactly did you experience after the surgery? Was it similar pain? What did the doctor say about the results? What happen with work? Are you still working, did you settle with workers compensation?

Actually it is more unlikely that you will not fully recover and be back to gold lifting etc doing anything you want to do. YOUr surgeon is correct and of course all the folks in this forum represent outliers who have had far from the normal outcome.

You might be interested to know that the lead author on the famous SPORT study, where your orthos' comment is derived from, also wrote about how his wife, an avid runner, came down with an acute disc herniation and could barely walk due to back and leg pain during his research project on back pain and disc herniations and how bad he felt having to tell her that all his research indicated she should just keep going, even running and he had to respect his research even though she was in such pain. He was right, she was fine in time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So your doctor says you have a herniated or bulging disc California_Help 5 1,878 02-28-2020, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Jmrbutlerbey
  Settling a lifetime medical on a herniated disc claim Peanut 2 5,272 06-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Last Post: 1171
  epidural injections for herniated disc? nurse83 22 43,025 04-08-2016, 01:37 AM
Last Post: pattik1130
  Herniated Discs DRT 4 3,260 04-01-2016, 12:38 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  CERVICAL STENOSIS - Bulging Discs RAT6MAN6 2 3,894 04-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  Percentage herniated discs w/depression NJ samistheman 7 13,968 12-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Last Post: samistheman
  Steriod Injections for Herniated Disks ib neck casual1 0 3,902 06-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Last Post: casual1
  mid and low back herniated discs jayc123 4 7,944 11-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Last Post: jayne
Sad Previous Injured Worker.. need advice jilly23 17 16,306 05-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Last Post: comp trash
  3 herniated discs Da Busta 18 21,132 09-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Manley2