Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social Skills
MY 11 yr old son is Autistic. One of the biggest challenges of an individual with Autism is social skills.

When he was younger the doctors said he would be non-verbal (unable to carry on a conversation) have severe learning issues,
and health problems.

For many years Cody was unable to communicate my phone as he used more jesters then words. At the end of the school years he was released from speech language (SLP) services as his speech/language skills are are developmentally appropiate for his age.
Cody has communicates almost as well as other children his age.

Now for the social skills.
Cody just completed 5th grade and will enter 6th grade in the fall.
In 5th grade he learned the social skills of; what a wedgie is, what to say to make girls jump, and other boys stuff I won't get into for his age.

Over the weekend Cody attended (along with several other boys)
an overnight birthday party for his cousin, also the same age. When
Cody came home last night he shared he had made several new friends. I asked him what he and the others boys did over the weekend. His response, "We made prank phone calls"

When each boy would go to the bathroom they would would grab the house phone and make the phone calls while in the bathroom.
I asked Cody did you boys say anything when you made the phone calls. He said we just made noises, one boy tried to sound like a indian.

I haven't given Cody the lecture yet about the prank phone calls, and I do understand this can lead to other behaviors.

But at this time all I can do is laugh about this, and I think how wrong the doctors were about Cody. This is a learning experience for him as he develops social skills.

Bummer Knees Wrote:MY 11 yr old son is Autistic. One of the biggest challenges of an individual with Autism is social skills.

When he was younger the doctors said he would be non-verbal (unable to carry on a conversation) have severe learning issues,
and health problems.

For many years Cody was unable to communicate my phone as he used more jesters then words. At the end of the school years he was released from speech language (SLP) services as his speech/language skills are are developmentally appropiate for his age.
Cody has communicates almost as well as other children his age.

Now for the social skills.
Cody just completed 5th grade and will enter 6th grade in the fall.
In 5th grade he learned the social skills of; what a wedgie is, what to say to make girls jump, and other boys stuff I won't get into for his age.

Over the weekend Cody attended (along with several other boys)
an overnight birthday party for his cousin, also the same age. When
Cody came home last night he shared he had made several new friends. I asked him what he and the others boys did over the weekend. His response, "We made prank phone calls"

When each boy would go to the bathroom they would would grab the house phone and make the phone calls while in the bathroom.
I asked Cody did you boys say anything when you made the phone calls. He said we just made noises, one boy tried to sound like a indian.

I haven't given Cody the lecture yet about the prank phone calls, and I do understand this can lead to other stuff.

But at this time all I can do is laugh about this, and I think how wrong the doctors were about Cody. This is a learning experience for him as he develops social skills.

Bummer it is great to see a young one turn the corner of no hope! They told me the same about my now 15yr old he was a premature and was in special ed for learning issues up until he was in the 8th grade then all the sudden bang he was tested and was taken out of all his special ed classes he has hearing loss but other then that you would never know he ever had a problem. I love when doctors give no hope then all the sudden the kids show them wrong i can do anything and be anything I want. I am so glad he had a good time at his party even if there was some naughty behavior going on ya just got to sit back and reflect and say ok this was wrong but darn it he did it!
Live for Today, Love for Today, Laugh for Today.

Thanks grunmpone.

I do believe doctors are trained not to give false hope, but my son has proven everyone wrong.

It is a miracle alone that his receptive and expressive language skills allow him to be able to communicate by phone, let alone make a prank phone call.

way to go Cody......Bummer my heart rejoyces for you...I know the calls are wrong but isnt it great to know he is doing just what all the other boys are doing?I wish I was there to give him a hi five(please dont let him share this prank with Daniel) God bless you all...
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Bummer, even though prank calls are bad I must say I'm happy for you's. I do love to hear when someone beats the dr's future predictions.. Pat him on the back for me.

good job cody, bummer i love the fact that he beat the odds, maybe there is hope for my son yet to talk some day.
no matter where you're at there you are

halftrak it has just been the last few years that my son's language skills have developed.

Don't giveup hope!

Bummer... I am very happy for you. You and your husband are too be commended for such a great job with your son. I can still remember the pride in your husbands eyes when he spoke of his son. I agree the prank calls are not ok, but there are some things more important and his ability to be as the other boys and to fit in is a miracle and his absolutely wonderful. Red
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social Security and Social Media California_Help 3 1,124 10-07-2019, 04:26 AM
Last Post: AnnBlair
  Lab Rat Experiment, test your skills LOL Bad Boy Bad Boy 52 19,283 03-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy