Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Little Depressed Today Because...........
.......I tried to work, doing a volunteer office job. Just to see how it would go.

At first, it was ok, but once I started handling and inputting cards from the California Dept. of Justice, into an Excel Spreadsheet that I had created, I lost it.

Just handling those cards created terrible pain but I wanted to at least finish this project. I had to take a lot of breaks just to shake it off, and I seriously felt like I was being electrocuted. LOL!

In a way it felt good at first, because I was allowed to create a spreadsheet, add some complicated formulas to it, and make it a template so it could be used for a long time. The head work was ok, but the physical wasn't; and made me realize the QME was right on his rating report when he said I would never work again.

I want to try again, once I get the permanent Spinal Cord Stimulator. BTW, I have a surgery date before the end of July.

Hope everyone else had a productive and/or pain free day.

Tongue
Let Go, and Let God......

Surgery for what?
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

CC, you say that you have a surgery date before the end of July. Is that for the permanent SCS??

I am not sure I would be depressed over the days results. I think I would be using it as a learning tool. We will never know for sure what we can and can not do after an injury until we try.

Take Care and chin up. At least you tryed.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

there a number of adaptive options for using computers these days.
many different styles of keyboards, trackballs, even a "foot mouse", touch screens, pointing sticks, voice commands, mouse pen, ect.

http://www.ergosci.com/keyboards.html

even a "QWILL MOUSE" for those with carpal tunnel.
http://www.airtech.net/aimoqumo.html

glad to see you are keeping productive and socially active.

P.S. since even small amounts of input are difficult to redo make sure the autosave feature is turned on for all you computer work.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

BBBB and AQA, I was referring to the SCS implant.

1171, I can keyboard for short periods of time. That's not really the main problem. Handling the paperwork is. I mean, physically touching the paperwork. Edges of paper feel like a razor blade. For this trial, I was working with cards and it may sound rather bizarre to anyone not familiar with RSD, but picking up and turning those cards was an awful and painful sensation. On my own, I do de-sensitation exercises everyday so I guess I'll add cardboard to the mix. LOL!

I'm praying the SCS helps in many ways. One thing I noticed during the short trial period was that I was able to pet my dog and cats. Usually their fur feels like coarse sandpaper to me.

RSD has a mind of it's own and I really really really hate trying to explain it to someone during a conversation.

Thanks again for the support. I want to do something productive with the rest of my life. Tongue

Quote:P.S. since even small amounts of input are difficult to redo make sure the autosave feature is turned on for all you computer work.

You got that right 1171! This was a version of excel newer than mine so it took some searching to find the formulas and fancy stuff. I've lost spreadsheet data before because I didn't auto save. Tongue Big Grin Smile

Chris perhaps you will find something else in the non-profit area you can do.

I continue to volunteer, it is good for me mentally, and something I can use as a reference when I look for work in the future.

Having had carpal tunnel I understand the sensory dysfunction you experience.

Last week I watered the garden, all of 25 minutes it took. The garden hose was laid out so there was no pushing or pulling of the hose, just standing, some sitting in the chair and watering the garden.

Yet doing that simple task sent to a 9 on the pain scale for 2 days with constant buring in the hand and going up the arm.

I learned a lesson and will let my kids water next time.

My Spinal surgeon told me these exact words in 2006 after my T11/T12 Corpectomy;
Do not dwell on what you cannot do; dwell on what you can do. Remember Mr. H@#e#, this surgery was not optional.

I was disabled at age 45 but I realize I have to move forward with my life the best way I can within my disability. Dwelling on what could have been or should have been gets me nothing.

you said a mouthfull......I have had to find a new way of doing things...new hobbies..new attitude the last I am finding the hardest to do
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

I also have to work on Attitude; I "jump froggy" real quick but I am working on this. My wife of 33 years is my backbone.

I have found that telling individuals how disabled I am really gets me no where. My "pity paty parties" where to please self.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Are you depressed and anxious because of your injury? Buddy1114 1 816 04-07-2020, 07:10 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Confused and Depressed in Maryland Backagain 6 5,469 04-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Last Post: PainandSmiles
  SSD approval...depressed and confused~ sonny1 13 13,286 11-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Last Post: nursedina
Question Depressed ems30 18 7,503 10-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Still in Limbo
  Not depressed or in enough pain! capricorn 17 8,124 09-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Last Post: capricorn