Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I turn this around and get treatment?
Uni's are pretty common anymore in middle age OA patients who meet specific criteria. You might try to challenge him on the CURRENT ortho literature, a good starting point is the Orthosupersite web page where all recent studies and trends are discussed by state of the art ortho docs. I cant remember. if you have to join or not.

Interestingly, and perhaps useful info - it is one of the more popular medical tourism procedures for US patients because of insurance denials. MUCH much cheaper abroad too. India is especially popular with US citizens.

here is one opinion 5 years old now from:
ORTHOPEDICS December 1, 2005
Unicondylar Knee Arthroplasty: Past and Present
by Aree Tanavalee, MD; Young Joon Choi, MD; Alfred J. Tria, Jr, MD
Patient Selection for UKA

Initially, UKA was chosen for patients aged >60 years with a sedentary life style.8,17,30,45 As the procedure has improved, it has been applied to a younger age group with equal success.46 The patient’s symptoms and physical findings should be isolated to one tibiofemoral compartment. The history must be thoroughly evaluated to ensure that there are no associated patellofemoral symptoms or symptoms in the opposite compartment. While stair climbing discomfort alone does not implicate the patellofemoral joint, if a patient reports increased pain with stair climbing, the surgeon should be wary of patellar involvement in the knee joint. The knee should have <15° of deformity in varus or valgus and <10° flexion contracture. Inflammatory or crystalline induced arthritis, anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) deficiency, advanced patellofemoral arthritis, knee subluxation, gross ligamentous laxity, and obesity are all relative contraindications to the procedure. However, if all of these guidelines are strictly followed, Stern et al47 showed that only 6% of patients will satisfy the criteria for the replacement.

As surgeons have gained experience with the procedure, the indications have been broadened. In the younger population it is best to adhere to the strict indications, and the results should be more predictable.46 In the older population, it is possible to accept some patellofemoral or opposite compartment radiographic findings for osteoarthritis as long as the patient does not report symptoms in those other areas and has no findings on physical examination.

I visited witht he surgeon about the future knee replacement to be done on the right knee, and perhaps having a partial replacement.

Mine is narrowing of the lateral joint space.

He said if the pain is accross the joint he will only do a total knee replacement, not a partial.

well, that makes sense doesn't it ?

Bummer Knees Wrote:I visited witht he surgeon about the future knee replacement to be done on the right knee, and perhaps having a partial replacement.

Mine is narrowing of the lateral joint space.

He said if the pain is accross the joint he will only do a total knee replacement, not a partial.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flash from the past II, Turn the speakers on AQA 2 2,732 05-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Cervical_Fusion
  Anyone have a ten and a five?????? Turn the speakers on AQA 0 1,545 05-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Last Post: AQA
  Flash from the past. How to handle telemarkers?? Turn your speakers on AQA 0 1,967 05-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Last Post: AQA
  TURN IT OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jayne 2 1,968 05-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  For today....turn bodybuilder1958 0 1,597 03-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Last Post: bodybuilder1958
  Turn off those lights Tuffy 1 2,147 03-29-2009, 08:57 AM
Last Post: jayne
  My turn for another game as promised monster 115 27,976 09-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Last Post: vickinat
  turn up the speakers & read poem Lilly 6 3,685 08-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Last Post: MJC
  Turn your sound up!  I'm all cracked up! Wink 7 4,427 06-07-2007, 09:43 AM