Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prayers to stop oil spill
well, none of those but we have a shortage of virgins around here so trying to make do. thanks.

backache Wrote:Cycler, it would appear that you are either Pakistani, Hindu, or from some religion who sacrifice goats to appease the Gods. Whichever religion it is I pray that it works, since it doesn't seem that mortal man can stop this tragedy.

I do find something interesting in reference to the oil leak and Alaska.

If they are able to burn the oil at sea. Why do they not burn the oil on land and/or near land???? The reason I ask the question is because back in late 1980's. I was out fighting the fire at Yellowstone national park. When that fire started and president Reagan had the let it burn policy. Well, that didn't work and 8'th infantry division was sent out to fight the fire with various fire dept.. Anyway, the park can back to life. It did take time, but it is back to normal.

By burning the oil. There would be some residue left over, but mother nature would have a better chance of rebuilding in my mind.

Just my thoughts.
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

good news this morning there saying they are catching some of the oil being spewed from the pipeline lets just pray this is the beginning of the end
SETTLED!!!

AQA Wrote:I do find something interesting in reference to the oil leak and Alaska.

If they are able to burn the oil at sea. Why do they not burn the oil on land and/or near land???? The reason I ask the question is because back in late 1980's. I was out fighting the fire at Yellowstone national park. When that fire started and president Reagan had the let it burn policy. Well, that didn't work and 8'th infantry division was sent out to fight the fire with various fire dept.. Anyway, the park can back to life. It did take time, but it is back to normal.

By burning the oil. There would be some residue left over, but mother nature would have a better chance of rebuilding in my mind.

Just my thoughts.
Interesting suggestion, but probably not enough there to burn. Visually, they say Prince William Sound has completely returned to normal. The state commissioned a task force last year, that surprised many with the discovery of some oil remaining in "pockets". They estimate that about 23,000 gallons, from the original 1,000,000, remain in isolated areas, and is decreasing about 4% a year.

This is a terrible event, but I would not panic. They will get the leak plugged. The level of short term damage will depend on how long that takes, but the gulf eco system is far different than PW Sound. Nature will recover from this as well.

Don't get me wrong. I am angry at the incompetence we are seeing, and the injury to wildlife and peoples livelihoods. I recognize that this is going to be a mess, but it will not be the end of the world.

We're going to be ok.

AQA, I will be speaking with my Uncle in the next couple of days and I will ask him the question about burning the oil. He is a top chemist at one of this countries largest Naval bases and he may know the answer. I think if this could be done they would be doing it by now.
Ace, The Alaskan oil spill does appear VISUALLY clean, but there was a news report on it the other night and they dug down only several inches on the shore and the oil was still there. It is just like the streams in this area that were ruined by the mining back in the 50's. The streams were completely orange from the sulfur and iron 30 years ago when I moved here . They now look perfectly normal, the only problem being the PH is so high that nothing can live in them. I look at it as if you have a rotten board and you paint this board. It may now look much better , but the wood is still rotten underneath and that won't go away. I agree this more than likely won't end the world, but it should be an eye opener as to what could happen if we keep messing with Mother Nature..
GOD BLESS OUR COUNTRY AND OUR PRESIDENT!

Now it is happening here. Yesterday a natural gas well about 35 miles from us blew. This was in the middle of the woods and Thank God no one was killed.
The accident happened just after the crew finished a process called hydraulic fracturing -- in which millions of gallons of water, sand and chemicals are blasted underground to shatter tightly compacted shale and release trapped natural gas. They were clearing out debris from the well when gas shot out of it, said Dan Spadoni, a spokesman for the Department of Environmental Protection. Typically, a blowout preventer -- a series of valves that sit atop a well -- allows workers to control the pressure inside, he said.

Just such a device figured into the massive oil spill off the coast of Louisiana. The oil rig's blowout preventer was supposed to shut off the flow of oil in the event of a catastrophic failure, but it didn't work.

Backache, We have Dozens of Gas Wells within a 5 Mile Radius of Our Home, and One Blew over the Mountain from Us, and it was so Strong that it shook Our House, We thought it was a Closer One because it was so Loud and Strong! In a 15 Mile Area of Our Home I would have to Guess there is close to 200 Gas Wells around Here. Most of the Ground had been Mined Out in the early 1900's, and now They are after Our Gas! Kind of Scary knowing there are so Many around!Wink
I Wish Everyone in the World would Take just One Minute to Take a Deep Breath and Look at the Wonders around Them. Too Much Time caught Up in the Moment can Cause Us to Miss soo Much that is Good, and given Us Daily! We are just too Busy to See!

People just amaze me as to their stupidity about these things. My BIL who lives in FL and is all for off shore drilling called the other day and said "the news media is making a big deal out of nothing, there isn't anything to worry about, the oil spill won't hurt anything and there really isn't that much oil spilling out." Of course like I said he is for off shore drilling so he wont admit he made a mistake.
The gas well explosion in this area spewed 1 million gallons of chemically treated water out on the 4th. The big shot for the gas co. said "Oh there isn't anything wrong with the water and it won't hurt anything." Some ppl actually believe this, talk about naive, stupid ppl. The gas co's are not permitted to dump the fracting water in PA and must hall it 5 hours away to a facility in OH to have it cleaned because of the danger of the chemicals. Gee I wonder if the water may be dangerous or if they just want to spend millions on transporting this water to a different state.
Regrets they are having a special on HBO on the 21st at 9PM about the gas drilling I think it will be interesting to hear the facts.

I can't believe it. Those evil energy companies are after your gas? Terrible. I am sure that you have stopped driving and turned off all energy consuming devices in order to do your part to make sure there is no need for that energy.

After all, people who live in (and heat and cool) big castles should not throw stones.

oh everyone is gonna scream and holler everytime one of these wells have a problem ...but it is the same ones who scream and hollor when gas goes over 2 bucks a gallon......you cannot have both with any well there could be problems hell water wells here can spew gasses......you mess with mother nature you are gonna get burnt...you dont want oil or gas wells? learn to live as the Amish do when you can do that you have the right to cry about the problems oil and gas wells make.....every time you suse drop of oil or gas you are are part of the problem,that includes mass transit,electric,sewer or water pumped to your home......we are a nation of energy pigs....we cant complain about what they have to do to get it to us...
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alzebik stop spamming this site California_Help 5 4,244 12-11-2018, 03:57 AM
Last Post: Vestin
  How to stop fraud against the IW California_Help 16 15,968 11-03-2018, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Lostandconfused
  BP oil spill news hurt at work 1 2,385 07-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Stop bodybuilder1958 4 4,249 06-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Last Post: inpainokla
  Wacky Wallenda’s And A Sarasota Skywalk Stop Work At WorkersCompensation.com Offices admin 22 13,642 02-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Last Post: jayne
  CBS Didn't Stop Him Bummer Knees 11 10,036 06-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Last Post: MJC
  vickie stop RNvic 6 4,940 10-31-2008, 11:08 AM
Last Post: hurt at work
  Bacteria... Stop That Germ Bad Boy Bad Boy 17 8,943 10-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Last Post: imsckofit