Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
worried and cant sleep
Hi everyone,surfing the internet for info and found this place. havent read ever thing, but hopeing I can get some guidance.
Chemicals I use at work has cause my hands to crack and bleed with extreme dermitist. Yes, I use gloves. I was told by the co. doc "its in the air and on everything you touch".
Had appointment with co. demitogist last Tues.He gives me a shot, salves,and a week off to heal. I call work to give doc infor on that Wed. and was told Thur. I was permanant disabile.What??!!! And supervisiors have signed me out of their area. I`m female and have only work there 3 years, in aircraft assembly in Texas.
Going in day to talk to workmans comp and union rep.
Dont know what to do or say. Wish I`ld found this place sooner.Sad.

If you have developed a true contact dermatitis sensitivity to workplace chemicals etc then you do have a permanent disability as it is not curable, only treatable.

The standard recommendation is first to lessen contact with barriers etc such as gloves, gowns etc. and if that fails or is not possible, then removal from that workplace exposure. This has been a common problem with cutting oils in metal working plants and often a change to a different product eliminates the problem.

First step is to talk to your HR department as they have certain obligations to you under the Americans With Disabilities Act, known as the ADA. Read up on it first though or you may get very confused between the ADA and workers comp issues.

Thanks Cycler. I`m on second shift and just waiting for my union rep to wake up and so I can start asking questions. Reading all this legal mumbo jumbo in the forum is making me dizzy.Big Grin.Hard to wrap my head around it.
So HR should be there too?
My union rep.seems like a "good ole boy" dont make waves kind of guy. Hope he sticks up for me. I feel like I`m walking in there for a (cant use the word I`m thinkin) whipping.
I`ve talked to several other workers with this same issue on their hands and they are stil working in their area.Whats up with that????

Cycler Wrote:If you have developed a true contact dermatitis sensitivity to workplace chemicals etc then you do have a permanent disability as it is not curable, only treatable.

The standard recommendation is first to lessen contact with barriers etc such as gloves, gowns etc. and if that fails or is not possible, then removal from that workplace exposure. This has been a common problem with cutting oils in metal working plants and often a change to a different product eliminates the problem.

First step is to talk to your HR department as they have certain obligations to you under the Americans With Disabilities Act, known as the ADA. Read up on it first though or you may get very confused between the ADA and workers comp issues.

I would talk to the Union Rep, privately, as you said they are a No-Waves making type of person. I would talk to HR dept privately, just to see what options they are leaving you with. Listen well, talk little, don't yell and scream and you will learn a lot.

Then make a decision on what your next step will be.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

you have to change careers to avoid repeat injury & exposure.
check to see if any kind of vocational rehabilitation is available for your situation
http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/wc/indexwc.html
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

The employer's first obligation is to eliminate the exposure by reasonable means which may mean changing the product, barrier clothing, physical changes to the work environment. Failing that the employer is obligated to re-assign to a work area of reduced exposure if possible but it NOT obligated to create a new job as an accommodation.

You did not mention if gloves or protective clothing has been tried by those affected.

janbo Wrote:Thanks Cycler. I`m on second shift and just waiting for my union rep to wake up and so I can start asking questions. Reading all this legal mumbo jumbo in the forum is making me dizzy.Big Grin.Hard to wrap my head around it.
So HR should be there too?
My union rep.seems like a "good ole boy" dont make waves kind of guy. Hope he sticks up for me. I feel like I`m walking in there for a (cant use the word I`m thinkin) whipping.
I`ve talked to several other workers with this same issue on their hands and they are stil working in their area.Whats up with that????

Cycler Wrote:If you have developed a true contact dermatitis sensitivity to workplace chemicals etc then you do have a permanent disability as it is not curable, only treatable.

Well, I called in to talk to Hr.couldnt find the number and ended up talking to workmans comp. rep again. She told me NOT to come in today.Call my union rep and talk to him....He finally called a few minutes ago. Said he would see what he could find out,and for me to call the doc I went to Tues. and find out if I was to be placed permanetly( wish there was a spell ck here..lol sry) or with restrictions.

cycler..I wear a plastic coat down to my knees, pallbearer gloves with a high flex glove on top of that when I just drilling or riviting or squeezing rivits. When I`m sealing parts and working with ahcohol and MPK , I wear thick rubber gloves.

".. wear a plastic coat down to my knees, pallbearer gloves with a high flex glove on top of that when I just drilling or riviting or squeezing rivits. When I`m sealing parts and working with ahcohol and MPK , I wear thick rubber gloves. "

It seems, based on the short explanation you give, there may just as likely be a reaction to the glove material as to the products you are working with, certainly more common, and that may be a lot easier to take care of. That may be off base for a number of reasons.

It will likely mean getting the dermatologist more involved in determining which exposure is causing the problem; i.e a latex or rubber dermatitis versus a chemical dermatitis.

thats the reason for the "pallbearer" gloves.They are made of cotton and rayon. Started wearing these when the symstoms started up. I started showing signs of dryness and tips of fingers cracking in Mar of last year. Went to co doc.and they put saftey on me within a day. She got me a type of glove to wear when I was working with wet ingredients. They thought maybe I was allgeric to rubber or plastic. I `ve used gloves for household cleaning and dishes for year with no problems. so to make them happy i wore the pallbearer gloves. lived with this for a year.Really started getting bad the last 6 months. Man,this is gross, but if I could ,I would have peeled my skin off ,I never wanted to scratch this bad ever. I almost cried daily. Woke up to blood on my hands. I called it scratchgasm. lol

quote=Cycler]
".. wear a plastic coat down to my knees, pallbearer gloves with a high flex glove on top of that when I just drilling or riviting or squeezing rivits. When I`m sealing parts and working with ahcohol and MPK , I wear thick rubber gloves. "

It seems, based on the short explanation you give, there may just as likely be a reaction to the glove material as to the products you are working with, certainly more common, and that may be a lot easier to take care of. That may be off base for a number of reasons.

It will likely mean getting the dermatologist more involved in determining which exposure is causing the problem; i.e a latex or rubber dermatitis versus a chemical dermatitis.
[/quote]

Gotcha.

Unfortunately removal from the workplace is often the only thing that can be done once a sensitivity develops. Hopefully HR will have some help.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about leaving after fully healthy s302 1 2,534 07-21-2013, 11:18 PM
Last Post: 1171
  WA State...had IME worried about outcome momof1 11 12,002 04-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Last Post: momof1
  Losing sleep over this! praders1 18 13,890 04-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
Sad Worried more now :( TiredOfHurting09 4 3,605 09-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Last Post: capricorn
  Worried joninreno 7 5,227 01-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Last Post: joninreno
  Worried, injured at work worried_worker 10 9,111 06-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Last Post: nauticalgurl1
  Up for MII now and very very worried bagpussinamerica 8 7,690 05-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Last Post: stiffnecked
  getting worried mjm44 13 6,286 11-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Last Post: mjm44
  Worried vickinat 16 8,280 11-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Last Post: vickinat
  Sleep for two weeks!!!!!! vaworkcomp 14 9,123 09-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Last Post: vaworkcomp