Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Surgery and New Injury
Well, since my shoulder surgery (May 5) it has been an up and down process of recovery. I have been in PT for just over two weeks now and the therapist is not sure what is wrong. He tries to lift my arm straight up (I'm lying on the table) and at about the 70 degree point I feel extreme pain and as if there is something tightening across the top of shoulder area extending to the bicep muscle. It feels like something is going to tear if he keeps going. We were able to get a bit further if he rubbed the outer part of the shoulder at the same time as raising the arm. Does any one know why this may be happening?

I am also having bad pain in bicep muscle, elbow and forearm. is this just from not using it as much? I'm feeling things I did not expect to feel from having shoulder surgery. Definitely worse than I expected.

When he got in there my rotator cuff was 95% torn, labrum was torn, 8mm removed from clavicle and large bone spurs as well. I am impressed that he did the repairs arthroscopically.

My other question is that I think I have messed up my other shoulder, I suppose from doing everything with it for the past year. Do I go to my regular Dr., my WC surgeon, my attorney or do I tell my employer? I feel the same type of pain as I did in the operated shoulder but didn't feel any one thing that caused it. It also isn't quite as severe at this point. I'm thinking of just going to my regular doc to avoid any issues with my employer...any thoughts?

This is so not what I expected, LOL. Thought I'd be up and about in no time. I go to PT and am in pain for the next day and a half! Feel like a big baby to say the least. It's been 3 weeks and I really don't feel much better than the day after surgery. I see the surgeon again on June 7, I think he is going to release me to light duty so hopefully things start improving.

Thanks for listening

what's wrong with your other shoulder and why? are medical questions.
ask them at your next apt.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

NVworker, all I know is shoulder surgeries take plenty of time to heal. There are several here that can tell you alot about these steps also. I hope they come on soon.

I want to say you first need to calm yourself down. There is going to be pain for awhile. You have to stay with the PT program, if you wish it to work. I have seen many in PT myself. And the doctor always came in and told these people it is going to hurt doing PT. They have to take it slow, you will take it slow. You will find you will move it more and further each day, a little at a time. And work it at levels you can also, like there was no tomorrow.

It's my opinion, your only fighting through right now, the scaring portion of the surgery, which feels like it's tearing. And the scaring is tearing to give you more ROM...

I be asking to be seen at the WC doctor. Of course, it's your choice to what you wish to do also.

I hope your taking all your medications 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before PT also.

The recovery depends upon many factors, such as where the tear was located, how severe it was and how good the surgical repair was. It is believed that it takes at least four to six weeks for the labrum to re-attach itself to the rim of the bone, and probably another four to six weeks to get strong. Once the labrum has healed to the rim of the bone, it should see stress very gradually so that it can gather strength. It is important not to re-injure it while it is healing.

How much motion and strengthening of the arm is allowed after surgery also depends upon many factors, and it is up to the surgeon to let you know your limitations and how fast to progress. Because of the variability in the injury and the type of repair done, it is difficult to predict how soon someone can to return to activities and to sports after the repair. The type of sport also is important, since contact sports have a greater chance of injuring the labrum repair. However, a vast majority of patients have full function of the shoulder after labrum repair, and most patients can return to their previous level of sports with no or few restrictions.

As a general rule of thumb, here is the timeline to follow:

6 weeks after surgery - completely out of sling
8 weeks after surgery - begin physical therapy and stretch to regain ROM
12 weeks after surgery - LIGHT LIGHT weight lifting, assuming you have all your motion back
24 weeks after surgery - free to do whatever.

The scar tissue breakup is typically the snapping, tearing, stretching, sensation you experience when you start PT and start stretching to regain your ROM.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

sorry to hear about your pain nvworker hopefully more time will make you all better
SETTLED!!!

BBBB Yes, I am taking my meds and I appreciate all the info you gave me. I am told that at week six they will start letting me move the shoulder on my own, now it is only passive motion. Pt started one week post surgery. Today the therapist pushed me a bit further and as much as it hurt, I think it broke through some of that scar tissue you were talking about. I'm hopeful for next weeks progress. You are correct, it is painful and I really am ok with that, just get frustrated at times. Thanks again Big Grin

Inpainokla, thanks so much for the well wishes!!!

1171, I do realize that the issue with my other shoulder is a "medical question" , was not asking for a diagnosis, just an opinion as to who would be best to inform. Thanks for the opinion.

NVworker, I had used an Occupational Doctor, and PT service all in the same building. I learned alot, and seen alot on shoulders there. One thing I learned that I shared with you, was the scaring issue, that it will break up, and yes this is going to hurt as I had seen. I had seen tears run, and trust me, those people had smiles when it was all over and done with. Those that would not follow the program, suffered in the end. I also seen the nurse come into PT and shot a needle right into their shoulders to help them along in PT. There are things they do to help a person along. If the doctor is in the same building though.

Keep me up to date now...
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  surgery soon...can I claim a past injury report from a past employer raymo55 4 2,999 09-28-2017, 03:52 PM
Last Post: 1171
  IME pending post first artificial implant surgery RootsGal 8 5,270 01-25-2017, 05:50 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Where's my check? 6 weeks post surgery!! Osok 2 4,193 05-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Osok
  can i get a second surgery from work comp due to re-injury during post -op linemanmjk 4 9,727 02-24-2015, 12:29 AM
Last Post: linemanmjk
  Post Surgery Question darrinb 7 6,633 11-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Last Post: darrinb
  Had back surgery at 20yrs old from work injury! Help please!!! brandy23_32 3 7,698 10-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Last Post: brandy23_32
  Surgery made injury worse! CA_bunk_Hand 1 4,411 06-14-2012, 11:28 AM
  Post Surgery Injury meonline01 1 2,721 11-30-2011, 01:25 AM
  Post Surgery Care Tink 0 2,388 10-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Tink
  Shoulder Injury Surgery denied 4104ever 5 17,637 07-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Last Post: kate