Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learned something new........
While visiting with my attorney yesterday I learned something new.

He told me, "Never tell a wc doctor you don't want surgery"

His reason is; if it does come down to having to have surgery, the wc doctor can use the (above) statement again you and not do the surgery. He said he has seen this happen many times.

Last week when the wc doctor asked me about surgery for the back, I told him I wanted the least invasive treatment first, so I guess I gave the right answer.

I didn't realize there were so many trick questions in work comp.

Your attorney is so very correct, once it has been said no surgery, it will be taken as that from the time it is stated.

But, what you going to do on your next visit or two, if the doctor states you do need surgery, and that is all the options you have? As I have seen that done, just to trick the person into saying no surgery?
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

I always ask what my options are, wrong answer.

Guess I need to learn to beat around the bush and not give an answer when the doctor talks about surgery.

Bad Boy how would you answer the surgery question without getting into trouble?

By asking a surgeon what is the best method of treatment for your condition. Then ask if there are alternative approaches. Most of all educate yourself before the appointment about your condition. Most doctors appreciate patients that understand their conditions, most should answer good questions.

Such as BodyBuilder said. Never close the book on surgery is all. Leave that option open. Always ask, such as Doctor, can we try every possible reasonable medical procedure there is, and if surgery is the last thing then so be it. Plus, you will have to allow all the procedures even if you don't want too, as it is if you say no to them, the same as saying no to surgery. You get the same results either way.

But, once all the money is spent, look for the last option to be a real life situation you then have to confront it.

If you don't want surgery, and you know it, what will you then do?

1) Do you think everything else besides surgery will work?
2) Do you really think a short amount of PT will work?
3) Do you really think ESI will work?
4) Medication, will you take it as ordered, if not will it work?
5) Are you willing to try RF treatment (Burning of the Nerves) if not or will it work?

And last thing you need to think about, and then also work with your attorney on the correct answer. Is it fair to the IC to spend plenty of money to try every option, and for you to then say no to surgery, knowing you wouldn't do it after al or ahead of timel? For you do know, you had other treatments in the past, and you have said they didn't work, nor they didn't help. Are you prepared? If not, you need to get prepared. For your medical records are going to be looked at closely now.

Don't lie to yourself about it if it comes into play. You wont feel right. So, you do what you feel is in your heart something you must do. Then stick to it.

If you choose medical treatment options before surgery, be prepared, for things you would have said no to in the past, are you willing to say okay to now. If not, what are you going to do?

These are the things only you can answer, not me, not your attorney, not anyone else. But, one thing is for sure, I will hold your hand, no matter what you decide...

P.S. Thinking in advance. When you go to PM me, the answer to the PM question will be (I Know Bummer)...
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

My concern is the complications of scar tissue after surgery.

I've had to battle scar tissue with every surgery, the scar tissue greatly impacts my recovery.

The surgeron told me the scar tissue is a reason for many of my problems with the replacement.

I have contacted Still In Limbo & Jayne and asked both about their surgery, and the complications with scar tissue.

I will try every options before back surgery.

My problems with medications is tummy issues, I get sick and don't keep the meds down. I was on mobic in 2007, and had the tummy problems since.

Bummer ask the Doc about complacations from scar tissue make sure its on the record that your scar tissue is a complacation.....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Bummer, Scare Tissue and the Knee Replacement;

I too had scare tissue with my knee replacement. But, there is a simple fix for it. But, it may or may not be to late. What the surgeon does to break it up is so simple. They bring you to the hospital, out patient, put you under, manipuate the knee, and it pops, (you wont know it though) and what that does, it breaks the scare tissue up. You then go to PT, short period of time, and the benefits are just great. This is what they done to me, and it was the best thing they done. What a major diffence in how much more I can bend, and use that knee ever since.

I will do that Jayne, good suggestion.

With the hand I have been able to break up much of the scar tissue thru massage.

I was able to break up much of the scar tissue with the knee while doing exercises in the pool. I have just enogh scar tissue left to cause problems with the joint.
Feels like a tight band around the knee.

I am working with the attorney on a response to the surgeon's report (knee).
The surgeon is tired of messing with work comp. every time he has seen me in the office, his staff has had to battle with work comp to get the appointment approved.
The staff calls me telling me the insurance company will not approve the appointment, I call my attorney and get him involved.

And yes, I do have a court order for treatment of this knee.

Bummer, the tight band in the knee area is just what I had. The manipulation did fix that, as that is something you can't do on your own. In fact my surgeon did tell me this. If I were to try to bust that tissue, I would be found on the ground passed out from that one second amount of pain. This is why they take you to out patient, and put you under for a couple of minutes, and manipulate it. It so quick, and fast, yet the results are just great.

You need to ask for it, even suggest it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Something I learned today.............. chrischris 14 5,494 08-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Last Post: jayne
  My PM Dr.'s Appt., and what I Learned! Still in Limbo 19 8,909 07-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Last Post: backache
  THINGS I HAVE LEARNED FROM LIVING IN KENTUCKY Kentuckygal 20 7,635 12-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Last Post: jayne