Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Op appt...what a day!
Well, today I had my pre-op appointment for my shoulder surgery. If this day was any indication of how things will go I want to cancel Sad Got to the office for my 8am appt, put in room, Dr. came in at 9:30 then proceeded to tell me he had an emergency with a patient he did shoulder surgery on 3 months ago, that the guy had a "weird" infection that went into his neck. They rushed him across the street to the hospital. I was scared enough before this LOL.

They fitted me with the shoulder immobilizer and explained they would do a nerve block before surgery. Think I'll pass on that one! Needles are NOT my friend.

Finally left the office only to find that I left my lights on (fog this morning) and my battery was dead. Called AAA and it was an hour before they called back to say another hour, finally found a nice guy to give me a jump.

I did make it to work (3 hours late) and took my note to HR for upcoming surgery. We discussed my TTD and he said "you are aware there is a two week waiting period before you start getting paid, right?". I said no, actually it is a 5 day waiting period...after a short exchange he looked at a form and said "you're right"... then he made reference to why I know the law for WC and asked if I was "trying to make sure I was one step ahead of him so I could pull one over on the company". What was that suppose to mean? Rolleyes

Where do they find these managers??? You'd think they would know the laws! I am just trying to know the law so I can protect myself...it obviously was the right choice for me.

So...thank you all, through this forum I have learned that I have to be informed, and yes...one step ahead Smile

Are you sure it wasn't a Monday?

Is this a doctor the insurance company picked?
Have you done a search and checked out this surgeon?

I believe Bad Boy & Boidbuilder may be of help here. I would like to know their response to this.

Quote:Is this a doctor the insurance company picked?
Have you done a search and checked out this surgeon?

Sure felt like a Monday Bummer, LOL. I did check out the surgeon and he apparently is one of the best in town. My attorney had his shoulder done by him. I was sent to him by the insurance company though. I seem to get a different story at each visit re: how long I'll be off work too. First it was 2 weeks, then it was 4, now he says, there is no way to tell until he gets in there to see all of the damage, he said it could be as little as 3 weeks or as long as 6 months???

I heard now that if I am admitted to the hospital, it waives the waiting period for TTD, I am actually having the surgery done at the practices surgery center (really not too thrilled with that), does this make a difference for the TTD waiting period? Can't find anything on the subject.

Thanks again Smile

I can tell you my TTD started the day of the knee replacement, the day I was admitted to the hospital. I had been on/off on TTD for the same injury so I only had the waiting period when I was first injured.

Sometimes the best surgeons have the biggest attitudes.

I don't think the doctor will know for certian how long you will be off work until the surgery.

If employers wanted you or any worker to know all the ins and outs, Laws and Rules of work comp, they would hold classes for the employee's wouldn't they. They don't expect employee's to learn their rights, and then too show them up. They hate that...WC is a very touchy subject to many employer's. if you ask me, saftey meetings and importance to to train plus make sure all injuries are reported on a First Injury Report should be taught. Let employee's know their there to help along, not go against builds employee moral.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Thank you both for your replies.

Bummer, I agree that sometimes the best docs have the biggest attitudes. Unfortunately this is true more times than not Rolleyes I'm just trying to bite my tongue and play nice LOL.

Quote:if you ask me, safety meetings and importance to to train plus make sure all injuries are reported on a First Injury Report should be taught. Let employee's know their there to help along, not go against builds employee moral.

So true! Moral is already a huge issue within my company. Doubt this will ever change. Seems like you are nothing but a number for these large corporations. My company is not interested in building moral and they certainly don't want anyone to know their rights when it comes to WC.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My PM Dr.'s Appt., and what I Learned! Still in Limbo 19 8,912 07-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Last Post: backache
  Doc appt did not go well monster 15 5,141 09-21-2007, 02:55 AM
Last Post: monster