Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
different states different words?
while talking to another poster he objected to me calling him Bubba it was a bad thing where he is from while here it is a term of indearment....Bubba or Sissy is for someone you think of as a OK person......on the poli threads other words were used that some found ugly but others different....I thought maybe we could have some fun with it.....
Coke,pepsi,Dr pepper here we call it "a soda" no matter what it is ie I want a soda or you wanna stop and get a soda...
A poke here is a grocery bag when I first moved her and was asked "do you wanna poke or a box" I said box cuz I sure didnt want someone to poke me.....
you all come on and go with us... dont mean come with us it just means we are sorry to have to leave your company......
what about where you live?
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Bubba's a bad thing? You've been calling me that for years! Smile

I know but for some it is a bad thing.......And I had no idea.....

POKE; Grandfathers called a Poke their Wallet. They came from different States, this would also be on my wifes side of her family also.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Soda; You may ask for a Soda, meaning you want a Pop, but then you will be asked what kind of Soda, as we drink a variety.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Bubba, bad or indifferent to some;

Here it is like your a HillBilly, or one without Education, or from a Getto.

Doesn't matter what Race neither, just incase the question comes to anyones mind.

Bubba is a southern derivation on the word "Brother"
"Paw can me and bubba go down to tha stoah(Store)?"

Often associated with rednecks or hillybillys, this word is actually a mispronunciation. Originally, it was meant to be "brother". However due to accents and slurs, it came out sounding like bubba. This is generally attributed to under-educated, southern caucasions but it's also possible that it is from early african american origin.
"Hey, bubba, you want to go to the store?"

here Redneck is baddddddddddddd.......and good for a fistfight if no gun is handy....lol

Down here in Texas, y'all don't ask for a pop or a soda. You'll get a look that clearly translates into "whatchu talkin' 'bout??"

Instead you need to ask for a coke and then give them the name of the brand that you want, such as pepsi or Dr. Pepper. I learned that quickly on my first visit here in June of '05.

And "yonder" could mean anything from the next room, next street, next city, county or state.

And NEVER use the word "you guys" when talking about a group. It's always "y'all or all y'all". Smile

Angel ^j^
I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open

one that would always get me is in virginia a toboggan is a hat that keeps your ears warm..and when i moved to georgia and asked about a toboggan i was told that it was some sort of sled
SETTLED!!!

see jayne in georgia redneck is a good thing kinda like callin them good ol boys
SETTLED!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Sometimes I just don't have the words... monster1963 5 4,736 09-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
  a few words can make alot of difference jayne 1 3,087 04-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  SSDI approval and states AQA 10 9,005 03-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Cervical_Fusion
  bingo words inpainokla 0 3,134 05-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Last Post: inpainokla
  words above avater inpainokla 3 4,783 01-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Last Post: backache
  Bingo Words mel1980 216 82,878 06-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Last Post: MJC
  Does anyone else use regional words? backache 26 17,853 05-12-2009, 03:07 PM