Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Replacing SCS
(10-09-2015, 08:43 AM)tbear6410 Wrote: No way to adjust them in the canal... There's just no room.  I was told at one point from a MRI in 2012 that on top of DDD, pinched nerves, 2 bulging discs and 1 almost gone, my spinal canal was thinning down and there wasn't much room in there.  The no room part was confirmed in May when I had the trial put in.  Dr. T said he had trouble placing the leads because of that.  He also told me that if I did go with the permanent one, the surgeon should know about it and should be careful.   But Dr. W forced the leads into the canal.... that's what a Med Rep told me while she was in the OR with him.

I would still recommend a second opinion from another doctor. Reviewing this device it has hundreds of adverse event reports on the FDA website. Many people have reported problems with it. It may be the stimulator and not your doctor (unknown).

I hope everything goes well for you whatever you do.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

(10-09-2015, 12:36 PM)California_Help Wrote: .

I know there are a few others who have posted on this string who are also having replacement spinal cord stimulators. Please, please before you have your surgery ask the rep or your doctor the name and product code of the implant your doctor is going to use BEFORE you have surgery. You can take that information and look on the FDA website to see if there are reported problems with the device and if so what are the problems and how widespread or call the FDA for help with navigating their site. I have looked up a device for someone that had hundreds of reported problems. People spend more time reviewing the background of the type of car they are going to purchase than the implantable devices placed in their body. This I believe is just due to not having the knowledge that medical devices like cars are not equal and that there is a way to research your device. Personally, I would be weary about new devices as they do not have a solid track record. Medical devices do sometimes fail, which can result in multiple surgeries, disability and sometimes even death.

If anyone needs assistance in finding information about a medical implant or device you can call the FDA or do a search on their website. Another reason why it is important to do this is it is estimated up to 8% of implantable devices in the US are not FDA approved or counterfeit. Also some unethical doctors do trials with devices and do not always notify the patient. Protect yourself and do your research no matter how much you like your surgeon, it is important to check and double check.
I am not an attorney.Anything I write should not be considered legal advice.I am writing from my own personal experiences,which is not from any sort of legal background. You should consult with an attorney over legal issues. In California, if you cannot get an attorney you can consult with an I&A officer.

Saw the surgeon this morning for the nerve and spinal pain. He wants me to try and hold out a bit longer to see if it goes away. He also had the Medtronic's Rep come in and re-adjust the Stim in my back. It's now set to just below my nerves in the stomach area.. I go back for a recheck on the pain Oct. 27th.

I am also waiting for a call from my Pain Management doctor to see if he agrees with me taking a allergy pill then taking predinsone and see if that works on the nerves...

(10-13-2015, 10:00 AM)tbear6410 Wrote: Saw the surgeon this morning for the nerve and spinal pain.   He wants me to try and hold out a bit longer to see if it goes away.  He also had the Medtronic's Rep come in and re-adjust the Stim in my back.  It's now set to just below my nerves in the stomach area..  I go back for a recheck on the pain Oct. 27th.  

I am also waiting for a call from my Pain Management doctor to see if he agrees with me taking a allergy pill then taking predinsone and see if that works on the nerves...

I hope everything does calm down for you and you get some pain relief. I have tried prednisone (6 day dose) and it helped my pain.

Problem with me and steroids is I get a Steroidal Flush... Sunburn look on my face, chest and arms... Elbow and Knee joint pain and a bad hot rash on my upper arms and upper legs... Be it steroid shots or any type of prednisone...

Ok.. spinal pain has been easing up some, but still feel it... nerve pain is still there.. had to stop the prednisone pack cause of the steroidal flush and it raised my blood sugar level too high.. ended up with jitters. Still no news on the script the surgeon called in. Not even gonna worry about it.

My Medtronic Rep will be at my appointment on the 27th to once again re-adjust the stim.... needs to be programmed up a bit... it's not hitting the lower back where the disc damage is and thanks to the cold damp weather we are having here in NY, it's achy as heck...

The 15th was my 5th week post-op..

It takes time for to get the stimulators in the right area that you need it in and it's going to hurt a little once they adjust to the right spot it will ease up slowly but it takes time.

Newest thing now... I have a numb feeling that's like a square right around where they cut into my back. Always feels like I have sticky stuff on my skin and feels like my shirt is sticking to it... It's weird feeling...

Also, hubby keeps yelling at me to stop trying to do so much around the house. I told him I'm tired of twiddling my thumbs and not doing anything. At least my son does the laundry for me and hauls it to my room so I can at least fold it. If we're gonna have a turkey, chicken or even a ham for supper, he'll come down and help with that... still hurts to really lift anything.... Specially since I slept like crap the last few nights and my lower back muscles are yelling at me now. So I'll be taking my Tizanidine twice a day....

I am down to only 1 Oxycodone at night just to take the edge off the nerve pain... hopefully by next Monday I'll be off it all together...

Thought I would pop this thread back to the top and give an update..

Burning spinal pain is now gone.... off all major pain killers too.. PM doctor still has me on the tizanidine for the muscle pain.... I still have problems with the nerves that go from the spine around to the front. I'm still listed at 100% too. Was told I don't need to see my surgeon unless there is a problem with my spine or where the battery pack is. I see my Medtronic Rep if needed in January at my next appointment... So far I have 3 settings and the 3rd one is really working with the damaged discs. Hopefully this continues to keep me pain free...

As I told my husband.. we'll know if it's doing it's job when we go canoeing and hiking in the Adirondacks next year...

Update...

Will be seeing my surgeon and his PA and my Medtronic Rep on Tuesday the 15th. I've been having pain in my spine and it doesn't matter what setting or how high or low,, it hurts. I also was doubled over the other evening when I tried to sit up a bit on the couch and the pain that went through my spine was the worse. Back to oxycodone with my muscle relaxer just to try and sleep.. Tailbone area is hurting too....