Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Weeks since I seen the IC dotor
(04-17-2012, 08:58 PM)darrinb Wrote:
(04-17-2012, 02:30 PM)jayc123 Wrote: Im having an ALIF (anterior lumbar interbody fusion)and from what im told its the same thing.disc is removed completely and replaced with bone and growth hormone then a titanium cage screwed around it to stabilize it.I'm not 100% but i dont think theres a difference between them

From what I was told there is a difference. I found this site it may help http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/sp...better-you

Yeah your right, you'll have more mobility with that. great site, I'll be all over that. I think its a better option for younger patients like me, I'm 37, plus he's fusing it to a bulging disc that hasn't changed at all in 8 months with a new MRI I had done. Which I think is going to cause problems in the future, how can it not? Fusions cause problems with the ones they're fused to, it seems replacement doesn't. I'll ask about it but WC probably won't cover it with my luck. Thanks again
(04-17-2012, 11:15 PM)AQA Wrote: Jayc123, you are close with your discription.

What happens is, the disc is removed and in its place is two titanum cages (one on the right and left side of the vertabre) that are filled with bone marrow. Then there will be two rods attached with screws to the upper and lower verabre. Again, one on the right and one on the left side of the vertabre. The purpose of the rods is to stabilize the spine untill the marrow has grown and fused the upper and lower vertabre together.

Thanks that was just from memory, and with these pills I'm surprised i even remember going to the appointment!

(04-18-2012, 06:34 AM)jayc123 Wrote: Yeah your right, you'll have more mobility with that. great site, I'll be all over that. I think its a better option for younger patients like me, I'm 37, plus he's fusing it to a bulging disc that hasn't changed at all in 8 months with a new MRI I had done. Which I think is going to cause problems in the future, how can it not? Fusions cause problems with the ones they're fused to, it seems replacement doesn't. I'll ask about it but WC probably won't cover it with my luck. Thanks again

I know I was thinking to ask the WC also but like you said the may not approve it. It seem like it would be in their best interest to approve it because recovery time is faster and less chance of going back for another surgery.

It would be in their best interest but I've yet to see any logic in their decisions at all

While after a long battle with the IC about getting surgery they went with their second opinion and decided not to go along with the surgery. The way the did this in my opinion was wrong. They had sent me a letter stating that the doctor the did the second opinion had put me at MMI and no further medical bills will be accepted. After the all it was their 1st doctor that had put me on restriction. The second doctor never took my off restriction just told me that I should try to go back to full duty to see how it work out. He never gave me a note stating that he was removing the restrictions.

So I went back to my doctor and I will have the laser surgery done. My surgery date is Monday 6/18. I think this will be better then the spinal fusion anyway.

On the other side my attorney called me and said that the IC want to send my to their doctor on 7/20 for a permanency exam. Just wondering how will my surgery affect the permanency exam or case?

it may give everyone as idea as to when your recovery may happen.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(06-16-2012, 12:11 AM)1171 Wrote: it may give everyone as idea as to when your recovery may happen.

According to the doctor he expecting me to fully recover between 6-8 weeks, but I will post my recovery progress.

Did WC approve laser surgery? I wish mine did, I'm sitting here with an 8 inch incision across my stomach a lot higher up than i was told it would be, and finding it harder to straighten out everyday(which i hope is normal) and no meds cause i don't want to take morphine, good luck with yours, let us know

(06-16-2012, 02:34 PM)jayc123 Wrote: Did WC approve laser surgery? I wish mine did, I'm sitting here with an 8 inch incision across my stomach a lot higher up than i was told it would be, and finding it harder to straighten out everyday(which i hope is normal) and no meds cause i don't want to take morphine, good luck with yours, let us know

No they did not. I am doing it on my own. WC went against their 1st doctor & order a 2nd opinion. That doctor went against the 1st but never gave me a note removing me from restrictions

Jayc - if it were me I'd try and hold off until you met with them ab the exam before any kind of surgery maybe you can get the ic to pay for?

Too late i had the ALIF surgery done a week and a half ago. I've been dealing with this 11 months now i would've had any surgery at this point to try and get some relief. But i did ask about every surgery and my WC ins wouldn't pay for laser that's why i asked, i couldn't see an ic paying for that because of they way they explained it to me, not that its bad, its just that they said said it was just too new and not proven to them. But by the time they approve anything there's always something new that's better and less invasive,good luck. How much does the laser cost?
(06-16-2012, 03:13 PM)darrinb Wrote:
(06-16-2012, 02:34 PM)jayc123 Wrote: Did WC approve laser surgery? I wish mine did, I'm sitting here with an 8 inch incision across my stomach a lot higher up than i was told it would be, and finding it harder to straighten out everyday(which i hope is normal) and no meds cause i don't want to take morphine, good luck with yours, let us know

No they did not. I am doing it on my own. WC went against their 1st doctor & order a 2nd opinion. That doctor went against the 1st but never gave me a note removing me from restrictions

That sucks, i know what you mean, i was completely taken off work for 8 months by 4 separate docs then miraculously when i walked through this surgeons door he said i was able to lift 20 pounds repeatedly all day. I told him i can't sit, stand, or lay down in the same position for a half hour but just talking to you made that all go away. I told him he was the best surgeon i ever heard of. His decision cost me $100 out of each check, luckily my work doesn't have restricted work or id be alot worse

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  M.A. IME in a few weeks spoe.eops 0 526 09-28-2019, 05:44 PM
Last Post: spoe.eops
  104 weeks ttd Lostandconfused 4 1,415 09-22-2018, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Lostandconfused
  Pay went down From $446. To $211. After 12 weeks stangbill 3 1,916 06-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Mmi releasing me with no restrictions. MRI shows ruptured disk 3 weeks ago stangbill 6 3,729 06-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Last Post: California_Help
  Will I lose my job after being out on leave for longer than 12 weeks? cainjuredworker 3 3,848 02-04-2016, 12:30 AM
  Can you Leave the Country for 2 Weeks when You Are on W/C mike985 4 8,263 12-17-2015, 06:37 PM
Last Post: rolandlaw
  Florida 104 weeks Martymarr2009 1 1,884 10-27-2015, 06:05 PM
  florida 104 weeks maxzillia 1 2,583 06-22-2015, 11:07 AM
  Where's my check? 6 weeks post surgery!! Osok 2 3,903 05-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Osok
  3 1/2 weeks later FunPops 0 2,731 07-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Last Post: FunPops