Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody take Topamax for nferve pain?
Smile Hi. I am wondering if anybody here has ever taken Topamax for nerve pain? It is an off label use, but is prescribed nonetheless. If anybody has had experience with it, I would like to hear about it. Side effects, benefits, dosage etc. Thanks. My surgeon prescribed it for me for my hands, nerve pain and comp is denying it....go figure!! I have read about it on medication sites but would like actual people's experiences!!
Live, Laugh, Love ~

I took it in the hospital, nasty taste to the pill.

I took it tempory after the neck surgery to help with the pain.

This week my doctor gave me samples of Cymbalta to help with the nerve pain, going to start on it tonight.

yes I take topamax and love it.....right now I am taking 100mg morning and night it works for me the headaches are less and for awhile was gone completely then they came back so this week he upped the dose to bring them back under control I hope it works....you will find alot of taste problems with this meds soda being the biggest problem fizzy drinks are out period coke pepsi and my beloved Dr Pepper I can no longer stand the taste of....this causes a weight loss for some because you start to drink more water......if you stick to the water you are okay......if you go to sweet iced tea you will gain the weight back(sigh)...I went off for awhile so I could have my beloved Dr Pepper back .....it wasnt worth the migrains.......I still have them just not as bad or as often.....for me its been a God sent med....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

(04-16-2011, 09:37 AM)Bummer Knees Wrote: I took it in the hospital, nasty taste to the pill.

I took it tempory after the neck surgery to help with the pain.

This week my doctor gave me samples of Cymbalta to help with the nerve pain, going to start on it tonight.

I am currently on Cymbalta 60 mg 2x a day, I don't really notice any change. Hopefully it will help you, but make sure blood work done frequently for liver/kidney functions.Shy
(04-16-2011, 09:54 AM)jayne Wrote: yes I take topamax and love it.....right now I am taking 100mg morning and night it works for me the headaches are less and for awhile was gone completely then they came back so this week he upped the dose to bring them back under control I hope it works....you will find alot of taste problems with this meds soda being the biggest problem fizzy drinks are out period coke pepsi and my beloved Dr Pepper I can no longer stand the taste of....this causes a weight loss for some because you start to drink more water......if you stick to the water you are okay......if you go to sweet iced tea you will gain the weight back(sigh)...I went off for awhile so I could have my beloved Dr Pepper back .....it wasnt worth the migrains.......I still have them just not as bad or as often.....for me its been a God sent med....

Great!! thanks! I need to get off of Diet coke, yes, I am addicted to it! I do not drink anything with sugar, all diet/sugar free stuff, but I am sure all of the fake sugar in them is doing more damage! AND I could stand to lose about 40 lbs. so hopefully it will zap the weight, the nerves and prevent the migraines!! Now, just battling with WC to approve it. I could see if I was trying to take 15 narcotic drugs, which I do not take any. I am so ready to be done with them I can taste it!!

Thank you! If you think of any other effects you had from it please let me know, just curious (even though I know we all react differently)Smile
Live, Laugh, Love ~

Sonny are you on the Cymbalta for the depression? Just wondering because I wiil be taking it for the off label use of helping with the nerve pain.

check see if its on the walmart 4 dollar meds it would save you that much in diet coke money...also the poison that they use to make diet coke can make you hurt......use only stevia or truvia which are natural sweetners....sugar is better for you than that artificial crap.....honey better than sugar....My honey is a diabetic and uses only stevia or truvia per his Dr.....that pink and blue stuff is poison....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

(04-16-2011, 11:04 AM)Bummer Knees Wrote: Sonny are you on the Cymbalta for the depression? Just wondering because I wiil be taking it for the off label use of helping with the nerve pain.

Nope, I am on it for nerve pain. In the very beginning I noticed a small change. It seemed to take the sting out of the burning feeling ( I know that sounds weird) and I was only on 30 mg 2x day at that time. As time passed we kept upping the dose. I can't say for sure that it gives me relief unless I were to try going off of it. I am still in a lot of pain. (bilateral hand surgeries = 10 surgeries with RSD/CRPS now).

I hope it works for you or at least helps some. I just worry about the possibility of liver/kidney damage over time. Especially if it is not giving me enough relief. Let me know how you do with it. It gave me insomnia, dry mouth, and back and forth constipation to loose stool. If I think of any other effects I will let ya know!
(04-16-2011, 11:16 AM)jayne Wrote: check see if its on the walmart 4 dollar meds it would save you that much in diet coke money...also the poison that they use to make diet coke can make you hurt......use only stevia or truvia which are natural sweetners....sugar is better for you than that artificial crap.....honey better than sugar....My honey is a diabetic and uses only stevia or truvia per his Dr.....that pink and blue stuff is poison....

Thanks Jayne...I know the artificial stuff is worse for me. What about Splenda? Is that bad too? I use that for my hot tea and in place of real sugar. Luckily I do not drink coffee, never have, only tasted it twice & I'm 40! I suppose Crystal light and all of that stuff is just as bad??? I'm gonna have to drink all natural water...BLAH..Tongue

thanks again!
Live, Laugh, Love ~

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Topamax Cookiecrum 7 4,686 01-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Last Post: capricorn