Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
I need advice
My wc claim is from the state of Maryland.

I'll start with my claim information. In July 2011 I injured my right shoulder. It happened at work and my boss was working with me at the time. I saw a doctor and was diagnosed with a rotator cuff strain. At the time, the only imaging done was an x-ray to rule out possible bone spurs, the rest of my exam was physical tests. I had 2 months of pt and was on light duty for those 8 weeks. At the end of my therapy I returned to work, full duty, with no restrictions. Then, at the beginning of this year, I started having pain again. I saw my doctor again when my symptoms didn't improve with home treatment. My dr ordered an MRI arthogram. I got the results on 1/26/12. The imaging showed a labral tear, SLAP type, from 11 o'clock to 3 o'clock as well as a partial tear of my rotator cuff. My doctor placed me on light duty and ordered arthroscopic surgery. While waiting for ic to approve surgery, my symptoms worsened and on 2/01/12 my doctor ordered that I could no longer work until after surgery. This is where the problems began.

On 2/6/12 the ic said they would not approve payment for lost wages or further medical treatment until an IME was performed. At this point I hired an attourney. I had to wait until 3/05 for my IME. My attorney then filed for an emergency hearing. The ic was given a consideration date of 4/05. My hearing is now scheduled for 4/30.

My problems are as follows;
1. I have no source of income now. I've been with my company for 9 years and had a considerable amount of PTO that I would accrue this year. When the ic denied payment of lost wages, I used my PTO (accrued and unaccrued) to pay my bills. That money stopped on 4/01.

2. I have to move out of my apartment. Without any further income, I will not be able to pay my rent for May. I will have to vacate my apartment but midnight on 4/30.

3. The only friends/family that I can live with are in Raleigh NC. This is the only place where I have people who can "take me in" when I loose my apartment, and the only place where I have people who can help with my personal care after surgery.

4. My former position has been filled. There are no positions available in the area for me.

5. It's been nearly 3 months since I saw my dr last and had surgery ordered. How do I know if my injury has not gotten worse?

So, onto my questions. Once I go to court, can I "get back" my PTO? can I get reimbursed for moving expenses? Can I arrange to have my surgery and aftercare take place in NC? Without local living arrangements, how will I get to court? Can i get the ic to get me a hotel room? My only vehicle is a stick shift, since my right shoulder is affected, can I get the ic to get me a rental, or would they coordinate other forms of transport for me, for both court and for pt after surgery. What happens if my company doesn't have a position for me? Can I request for a transfer? Can I request to have another MRI done to assess my injury now? Or would my doctor just wait until the surgery?

whether the employer will let you buy back your leave is up to the employer not the comp board.

no, moving expenses are not a comp benefit.

comp will pay medical mileage only @.555/mi
rates are here:

if the permanent restrictions from the injury prevent returning to your usual job workers comp provides vocational rehabilitation benefits:

you can request whatever treatment you want; it's up to your doctor whether you need it or not.

no; pain & suffering is a negligence based claim. workers compensation is "no fault" and based on disability.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.

Forum Jump:

Browsing: 1 Guest(s)