Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums
FCE - Printable Version

+- Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general)
+-- Forum: Category (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Injured Worker Forum (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: FCE (/showthread.php?tid=8294)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: FCE - Cycler - 09-05-2009

Actually the Federal Commercial Driver regulations do allow for driver certification while on Schedule II narcotics with the exception of Methadone. As a matter of fact your DOT drug test will be reported as a negative if you have a valid prescription for the positive lab test drug; i.e. lab positive but DOT negative. State regs vary.

RE: FCE - freebird - 09-06-2009

Cycler Wrote:Actually the Federal Commercial Driver regulations do allow for driver certification while on Schedule II narcotics with the exception of Methadone. As a matter of fact your DOT drug test will be reported as a negative if you have a valid prescription for the positive lab test drug; i.e. lab positive but DOT negative. State regs vary.

Well, that should answer a lot of myths. Thanks Cycler.

RE: FCE - sparkey - 09-06-2009

With the exception of methadone? I take methadone 25mg. and it is a drug that causes no high effects and even feels like your not even taking it. It even tells you in the pamphlet from the pharmacist that methadone does not cause a high feeling.

I am confused by the post of " exception of methadone". Does that mean methadone you should not be driving on? It is actually a very good drug for pain. It is the first drug in alot of narcotics I have been on that has ever really taken away some of the pain. I am just curious what you meant by the methadone comment.

RE: FCE - Bad Boy Bad Boy - 09-06-2009

But, most likely the employer will not accept it.

RE: FCE - freebird - 09-06-2009

This thread was a extremely educational. There is always a learning curve in WC. The bottom line is You can drive safely and take prescription narcotics under a good PM Doctors supervision. You can work at most places using a prescription narcotic under the proper care.

I drive a 200 mile round trip every month to my PM doctor. I take 5 different drugs for pain control two are Narcotics.

I must have a really good PM doctor considering some of the post I read here and I thank God for this.

I would hate to know I could not drive or have restrictions on me because of pain control.

I believe mind games can put anyone in a early grave. Do not let Satan control you with negative thoughts. Satan wants you to stay down and depressed. Not cool!

RE: FCE - Cycler - 09-07-2009

Methadone is in fact a very effective pain drug, has a few side effects like sudden death but actually pretty safe. The absolute ban on driving while prescribed methadone that applies to no other opiate is due to the fact that it is used in heroin detox and so many years ago it was assumed methadone users might relapse to heroin.

It has nothing to do with safe or not safe to drive.

sparkey Wrote:With the exception of methadone? I take methadone 25mg. and it is a drug that causes no high effects and even feels like your not even taking it. It even tells you in the pamphlet from the pharmacist that methadone does not cause a high feeling.

I am confused by the post of " exception of methadone". Does that mean methadone you should not be driving on? It is actually a very good drug for pain. It is the first drug in alot of narcotics I have been on that has ever really taken away some of the pain. I am just curious what you meant by the methadone comment.

RE: FCE - Cycler - 09-07-2009

not accept what - a drug test result ?
The employer only gets a pos or neg. they never see the lab result - in DOT testing anyway.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:But, most likely the employer will not accept it.

RE: FCE - Bad Boy Bad Boy - 09-08-2009

State regs vary.

RE: FCE - Cycler - 09-08-2009

BBB - I think all states regs are pretty much the same and that wasn't the question. Most (if not all states) laws do allow driving while taking prescribed opiates IF ( the key statement) the driver has been fully informed by the prescribing physician that the medication will not cause impairment and that it is safe to drive. This would encompass most long acting opiates once acclimated to them and exclude ALL short acting opiates.

The employer will have no knowledge of the drug test result and therefore nothing to "not accept." The MRO may notify the employer that there is a medical issue that may effect safety and should be looked into but may not go beyond that.

This does not address the employees obligation to inform the employer of being on a prescribed medication or what the employment agreement requires.

RE: FCE - sparkey - 09-08-2009

So because I am on Methadone I should not be able to drive? If I was pulled over by the police I could lose my right to drive? I also take percocet 10 mg. and feel that I get more dizzy on that and with the methadone you cannot even tell your on it. It is very effective for pain and is the best pain med I ever took in these two years since my injury. I take 25mg. a day.

I am just very surprised that people taking oxycontin, or valium or any other high class narcotic would not be banned from driving before a person using Methadone. I guess I would have to look it up online the laws of narcotics and driving in NH. Also, I see my doctor tomorrow and could question her also about the driving restrictions on Methadone. Thank you Cycler for the info. I never knew that.