Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums
Question about W2 while on WC - Printable Version

+- Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general)
+-- Forum: Category (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Injured Worker Forum (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Question about W2 while on WC (/showthread.php?tid=6688)

Pages: 1 2 3

Question about W2 while on WC - cumminstd06 - 02-15-2009

Does the bureau of worker's compensation have access to your W2 tax information ? The reason I ask this is because before I was hurt I had 2 jobs and I just got all my w2 information and I have reason to believe that the IC found out I had another job and they think I was working while receiving benefits. I received a certified letter from the IC about employee verification of employment, self-employment or change in physical condition. What is the definition of self employed? If I did a few small things for family and friends is that considered self employed?

RE: Question about W2 while on WC - Still in Limbo - 02-15-2009

Is Your "Second Job" Registered with a License from Your State, or were You Working for Someone Else, or were You Working "Under the Table" and not taking Taxes Out? These are Important Answers We need to Help!!Wink

RE: Question about W2 while on WC - cumminstd06 - 02-15-2009

Still in Limbo Wrote:Is Your "Second Job" Registered with a License from Your State, or were You Working for Someone Else, or were You Working "Under the Table" and not taking Taxes Out? These are Important Answers We need to Help!!Wink

Yes my 2nd job is a company that I did work for a few times a year I was not on there payroll I was paid by them for each job I did for them then I get a 1099 misc income from them each year

RE: Question about W2 while on WC - bronco54501 - 02-15-2009

I file a 1099 too but was still able to collect WC benifits. I was selling thier product. But I could be wrong-- even if you did have 2 jobs and was still able to stay within restrictions while off other job, they would still have to pay % of job you couldnt do. I think But someone more knowing will be along to help.

Keep us posted on how this turns out, and from what state are you from. This will help others answer you better as workmans comp varies state to state..............Bronco

My Suggestion would be to Get Your Taxes Done, and Send them a Copy of Your Return and all W-2's and 1099's. Also Explain the Last Day You Worked for the Second Company, if You could get a Letter from them to Back You Up would be Great, showing You did no More Work for them After Your Injury. It's always best to be Upfront and Honest when Dealing with w/c, if You Helped Out a Friend or Relative I wouldn't necessarily include that, a Favor is not Directly Work related, and I would also Send them My last Dr. Report showing My Condition, I Wonder why they don't already Have that Form? As My Attorney Said to Me: "When You Enter the Wonderful World of W/C, Your Life becomes an Open Book"! But Only give them what they Ask for and No More, and if You don't have an Attorney that Deals with w/c, You May want to Consider Talking to a Few, Most First Consultations are Free! Best of Luck, and Please keep Us Updated!!Wink

Still in Limbo Wrote:My Suggestion would be to Get Your Taxes Done, and Send them a Copy of Your Return and all W-2's and 1099's. Also Explain the Last Day You Worked for the Second Company, if You could get a Letter from them to Back You Up would be Great, showing You did no More Work for them After Your Injury. It's always best to be Upfront and Honest when Dealing with w/c, if You Helped Out a Friend or Relative I wouldn't necessarily include that, a Favor is not Directly Work related, and I would also Send them My last Dr. Report showing My Condition, I Wonder why they don't already Have that Form? As My Attorney Said to Me: "When You Enter the Wonderful World of W/C, Your Life becomes an Open Book"! But Only give them what they Ask for and No More, and if You don't have an Attorney that Deals with w/c, You May want to Consider Talking to a Few, Most First Consultations are Free! Best of Luck, and Please keep Us Updated!!Wink
Can I still work for another company getting a 1099 if the work I was doing met the restrictions of the doctor ?

RE: Question about W2 while on WC - fencer11 - 02-15-2009

I had a similar situation, I worked part-time at a second job but the restrictions prevented me from doing either job. The IC requested a payroll statement from second job showing how much I was making there and when I last worked there. I gave them what they wanted and the $$ I made at second job was added into lost wages. Honesty is the best policy.

when you say lost wages, can you explain that? Also you said you worked there part time so you mean you were on the payroll correct and got a weekly bi weekly paycheck?

My situation is that I'm not either part time or full time I work for them maybe 3 times a year and they pay me what I bill them and then i get a 1099 misc income for taxes the work i do for them is changing bulbs and ballasts in there warehouse which meets the restrictions of the doctor, but my employer will not allow me to return to work with restrictions so they keep me on WC through the IC i really don't understand this it is all very confusing for me ? help

If You do Continue to Work for the Second Co., You are going to have to Report ANY Monies Made to w/c, and they are going to Deduct from Your Payments from them. I would be Very Leary of going Back to Work at all if You think You have Issues that are going to be long going with w/c, such as Surgeries etc. You Really didn't explain Your Injuries and Restrictions, so it's Hard to Answer Your Question Fully. Also Your State would Help. It's always the Goal to get back to Work when Injured, but You also have to Look at Your Rights and Benefits from Your Injury, and if Returning to Work is the Right thing to do at this Point. It may very Well be, but Your Thread lacks a lot of Info. for Us to try and Assist You, You May want to Explain Your Situation More, Injury, State, how Long Injured, Restrictions, etc. With that Info., More on Here, Hopefully Some from Your State can give You More Precise Info.!!Wink

in 09/2008 I cut my arm with a band saw I had surgery and have been in therapy since then 3 times a week, my last doctor visit was 01/2009 and his restrictions are no heavy lifting of left arm more then 5 pounds and limited or no use of left arm but said i could return to work on light duty, my employer will not allow me to return to work on light duty, soon I'm going to need a new job or a settlement from the IC because I'm broke and can't pay my bills and have burned through all my savings.