Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums
Accept $3,000 Settlement offer for head injury??? - Printable Version

+- Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general)
+-- Forum: Category (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Injured Worker Forum (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Accept $3,000 Settlement offer for head injury??? (/showthread.php?tid=17640)

Accept $3,000 Settlement offer for head injury??? - Andalasia - 10-23-2018

I'm deciding whether to accept a settlement offer.
THE FULL STORY: I slipped on a wet floor at work (it was not marked wet) over a year ago. I had preexisting migraines that I was taking preventative medication for that was minimizing my migraine days to a few a month. Since the fall, even with an increased dose of medication, I have about 15-17 migraine days a month now. I was offered a few thousand a few months ago, but before I would accept, my neurologist and I insisted that I have an MRI done. I didn't have it done in the ER because they knew from my pupils and overall confusion that I had a concussion, and I had other injuries/sprains that they felt needed to be scanned. After the MRI, at my followup, my neurologist suggested additional treatment (Botox and nerve blockers - he suspects I bruised a nerve in the fall) to help with my migraine. This is in addition to his initial analysis that I would need cognitive therapy to help with my memory as I still have symptoms of post-concussion syndrome. With the two added treatments, I'm a bit surprised that they didn't increase the settlement amount at all. The injections are expensive, and I would need to pay out of pocket for part of them. I'm not getting a large settlement as it is, so I'm really trying to avoid getting a lawyer, but if anyone has any insight, I just don't know if I should have expected more than a few thousand for something like this. I was out of work for over 4 months (at a minimum wage part time job), but the migraines are causing me to use sick time at my new job too, so they are obviously still affecting my life.
SUMMARY: I'm being offered a few thousand dollars for a head injury I got slipping on an unmarked wet floor. I was offered a settlement 11 months after my fall, but didn't accept since I never had an MRI. Post-MRI: my neurologist added Botox and nerve blocking injections to my treatment for the next year, but I was still only offered the same amount as before the MRI and treatment change. Should I be accepting that?

RE: Accept $3,000 Settlement offer for head injury??? - 1171 - 10-23-2018

Each state has different comp benefits without knowing what you are entitled to it’s difficult to say what the settlement value is.
You might consider keeping your medical open; you are not required to buy them out.

RE: Accept $3,000 Settlement offer for head injury??? - Andalasia - 10-23-2018

(10-23-2018, 12:16 AM)1171 Wrote: Each state has different comp benefits without knowing what you are entitled to it’s difficult to say what the settlement value is.
You might consider keeping your medical open; you are not required to buy them out.

Thanks, 1171. I live in CT. That is the full settlement amount. No option to keep medical open.

RE: Accept $3,000 Settlement offer for head injury??? - 1171 - 10-23-2018

i don't think you understand all the benefits that comp provides.
a lump sum buyout is not the only kind of settlement available.
if the parties can't agree on an amount, the carrier/employer is still liable for continuing necessary care for the injury.
more information here
https://wcc.state.ct.us/download/acrobat/Info-Packet.pdf
you may benefit from professional advice and representation, if only for your peace of mind.

RE: Accept $3,000 Settlement offer for head injury??? - 1171 - 10-24-2018

Glad that nformation was helpful.

RE: Accept $3,000 Settlement offer for head injury??? - Andalasia - 10-24-2018

(10-24-2018, 09:39 PM)1171 Wrote: Glad that nformation was helpful.

I wouldn't say it was helpful...

RE: Accept $3,000 Settlement offer for head injury??? - 1171 - 10-24-2018

Expectations are often a big obstacle to many going thru a "no fault" workers compensation claim for the first time. They don’t know how it works or what questions to ask.
you might be confusing "helpful" with "joyful." you didn't win the lottery but you have information that could provide better options for your injury.
hopefully the many others that search these posts will have a different experience.
Be well.

RE: Accept $3,000 Settlement offer for head injury??? - California_Help - 10-26-2018

(10-24-2018, 11:56 PM)1171 Wrote: Expectations are often a big obstacle to many going thru a "no fault" workers compensation claim for the first time. They don’t know how it works or what questions to ask.
you might be confusing "helpful" with "joyful." you didn't win the lottery but you have information that could provide better options for your injury.
hopefully the many others that search these posts will have a different experience.
Be well.

Well said.