Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums
EMG test - Printable Version

+- Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general)
+-- Forum: Category (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Injured Worker Forum (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: EMG test (/showthread.php?tid=14784)

EMG test - sherryme032980 - 09-06-2013

I recently had a EMG I was not told to cancel and meds, when I got there I explained I had a dorsal column stimulator. I was hold that it would work fine with it on and I didn't turn it off for the test, even though it covers the region from my middle back to my toes. It would seem to me it would. Does anyone one know if it can change the results. Thanks in advance

[/quote]

RE: EMG test - 1171 - 09-06-2013

probably a neurologist.
why do you suspect the testing physician is lying to you?

just my opinion but I would think interference depends on the nerves being tested.
for example:
if they were testing for carpal tunnel, I would not think nerve activity in the spine-whether affected by the stimulator or not- would change the readings in the hand/arm.
Generally an EMG evaluates specific nerve pathways not all nerves in the body.

RE: EMG test - sherryme032980 - 09-06-2013

(09-06-2013, 01:09 PM)sherryme032980 Wrote: I recently had a EMG I was not told to cancel and meds, when I got there I explained I had a dorsal column stimulator. I was hold that it would work fine with it on and I didn't turn it off for the test, even though it covers the region from my middle back to my toes. It would seem to me it would. Does anyone one know if it can change the results. Thanks in advance

[/quote]

It was my back and legs being tested

RE: EMG test - Manley2 - 09-07-2013

I have a SCS and have had several EMG's done on my legs and never turned off my stim. Always asked and was told it didn't interfere with the test

RE: EMG test - Cycler - 09-08-2013

Your SCS will have no effect on the EMG/NCV. While the reasons why are too technical to fully explain, basically the SCS is altering signals ascending to the brain on one highway while the test is measuring signal speed in the opposite direction once outside the spinal cord. They are not related to each other and so you have nothing to concern your self with.

(09-06-2013, 01:09 PM)sherryme032980 Wrote: I recently had a EMG I was not told to cancel and meds, when I got there I explained I had a dorsal column stimulator. I was hold that it would work fine with it on and I didn't turn it off for the test, even though it covers the region from my middle back to my toes. It would seem to me it would. Does anyone one know if it can change the results. Thanks in advance

[/quote]

RE: EMG test - sherryme032980 - 09-09-2013

Thank you to all that responded. The reason I had concern was the Doctors response was Well I really don't think s but I'm not sure.