Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums
MMI and PPD question in Utah - Printable Version

+- Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general)
+-- Forum: Category (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Injured Worker Forum (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: MMI and PPD question in Utah (/showthread.php?tid=14332)

MMI and PPD question in Utah - utsoaper - 03-19-2013

I was injured at work 03/2012. I dislocated my knee, tore my ACL, LCL, PCL. Tore hamstring, quad, perineal tendon and perineal nerve. I have had 4 surgeries in 2012 with the last one being in dec 2012. I'm done with PT but stiill having issues with proprioception. ( I have no idea where my leg is, I still use a cane)

WC pushing for an MMI. I have been receiving weekly wage benefits as my employer could not hold my job and would not have had any light duty avail. I am unable to return to anything other than sedentary-light duty.

My Dr. thinks I will continue to improve over the next 6 months - so why issue MMI??

I've read the PPD can range anywhere from $1000-$50,000. Any insight on how to get a closer expectation of money that could be received?

Any personal opinions would be appreciated!!!!!

RE: MMI and PPD question in Utah - 1171 - 03-19-2013

yes.
PPD is based on your rating. the better idea you have as to your rating the better fix on your disability $$.

RE: MMI and PPD question in Utah - bronco54501 - 03-19-2013

If your dr does your rating at the stage you are at, you would probably recieve a higher % rating which will increase your ppd.. If he were to wait the 6 months and you improve dramatically, you may not see much at all...

Now there are alot of factors that come to play when you reach mmi and given a rating.. Mine for example just for the hip and nerve pain down leg, he took in consideration on rom, loss of muscle and a few other factors.. I recieved a 25% impairment rating which factored out to $48,000 and was paid out monthly... If this helps...

RE: MMI and PPD question in Utah - utsoaper - 03-19-2013

If the extensive research I have done is correct - and it may very well not be correct - My IR is about 12%. I guess I'm very lucky that I have been getting wage compensation for an entire year - at least from reading the posts it seems I'm lucky. WC has paid out over $500,000 in expenses so far, but the WC vocational counselor hinted that I would be lucky to get $2000 in PPD. The case worker said they have "formulas" they plug in and that gives them the PPD amount. Are these "formulas" available any where on line? It seems to me $2000 is very low for my damage, and I have worked VERY hard at getting back as much function as possible? But I will not be able to ever go back to making the kind of money I did before the accident - I'm just not physically able to. In Utah, it seems that this PPD is not a settlement, it's not a choice to accept it or not, it just happens whether I agree with it or not.

I spoke with an attorney, but he doesn't think I have anything to dispute so he said I didn't need a lawyer.

Any insights???

Thanks!!!

If the extensive research I have done is correct - and it may very well not be correct - My IR is about 12%. I guess I'm very lucky that I have been getting wage compensation for an entire year - at least from reading the posts it seems I'm lucky. WC has paid out over $500,000 in expenses so far, but the WC vocational counselor hinted that I would be lucky to get $2000 in PPD. The case worker said they have "formulas" they plug in and that gives them the PPD amount. Are these "formulas" available any where on line? It seems to me $2000 is very low for my damage, and I have worked VERY hard at getting back as much function as possible? But I will not be able to ever go back to making the kind of money I did before the accident - I'm just not physically able to. In Utah, it seems that this PPD is not a settlement, it's not a choice to accept it or not, it just happens whether I agree with it or not.

I spoke with an attorney, but he doesn't think I have anything to dispute so he said I didn't need a lawyer.

Any insights???

Thanks!!!

the conversion of an impairment rating into disability payments is contained in the state's work comp laws:
http://le.utah.gov/code/TITLE34A/htm/34A02_041200.htm

1171 - thank you. Kind of confusing, I mean I didn't lose my leg but it is still numb AND If I read it correctly, it would mean 88 weeks of payments - does anyone know if that is at 66 2/3% OR do they plug in another amount. I notice it always says UP TO 66 2/3%.

I don't want to get my hopes up with any certain amount, but i am trying to decide if I can support myself for 6 months while I get retraining to do a new job. Sorry for the dup post, not sure hpw that happened.

Also concerned my DR may low ball my rating. Do i have the right to a second opinion?

1171 - thank you. Kind of confusing, I mean I didn't lose my leg but it is still numb AND If I read it correctly, it would mean 88 weeks of payments - does anyone know if that is at 66 2/3% OR do they plug in another amount. I notice it always says UP TO 66 2/3%.

I don't want to get my hopes up with any certain amount, but i am trying to decide if I can support myself for 6 months while I get retraining to do a new job. Sorry for the dup post, not sure hpw that happened.

Also concerned my DR may low ball my rating. Do i have the right to a second opinion?

I don't know how much research you did but the state website has a lot
http://laborcommission.utah.gov/divisions/IndustrialAccidents/guides_and_pamphlets.html

the insurance carrier is not obligated to authorize or pay for a second opinion.