Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums
2Level Discectomy w/fusion and hardware - Printable Version

+- Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general)
+-- Forum: Category (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Injured Worker Forum (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: 2Level Discectomy w/fusion and hardware (/showthread.php?tid=12028)

Pages: 1 2

2Level Discectomy w/fusion and hardware - ttguns - 03-30-2011

Recently went back to work from surgery, and my job is slowly forcing me out. Had me do every kind of job that wld hinder my healing, or that I cld even handle doing without an extreme amount of pain. So now they cut my hours from 6hrs/day 6 days a week to Mon and Fri no specified time amount. The Idaho Right To Work Law in no way shape or form helps hurt employees. Im still doing 3days a week physical therapy and apparently the top screw is already starting to protrude back out. Almost time to get my impairment rating..Just freaked out by all this and broke trying to make ends meet. Any Advice, I do have a Lawyer, but he doesnt seem to wanna say much without knowing my rating. Far as where Im at in the healing process..It hurts to stand.It hurts to sit..It hurts to move my head around much. My neck and shoulder muscles r so sore and inflammed and full of spazms I can barely move or put my right arm above my shoulder, and the numb and tingley feelings are returning. Even my physical therapist is pretty overwhelmed by my issues.

RE: 2Level Discectomy w/fusion and hardware - 1171 - 03-30-2011

your recourse for restricted job duties is from your physician.
get your work limitations in writing.
under federal ADA they have to discuss reasonable accommodation with you.
your job is also protected for 12 weeks by FMLA.
more information here
http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/index.htm
http://www.ada.gov/

RE: 2Level Discectomy w/fusion and hardware - ttguns - 03-30-2011

Ive gotten all the above...but under the Right to Work law they can fire me for whatever reason deemed necessary..but theyre being slick and simply trying to get my hours so short I quit and then they can use it in argument against me later for settlement stating they offered work I denied it..and quit..surgery for me was Dec 16th, so Im past 12weeks

RE: 2Level Discectomy w/fusion and hardware - Cervical_Fusion - 03-30-2011

If the screws are loose or protruding you need this checked out, you man need a second surgrey, so i would put off getting a rateing right now.

RE: 2Level Discectomy w/fusion and hardware - Bummer Knees - 03-30-2011

CF just curious why you mentioned the screws might be loose. Would that be due to the symptoms.

I ask because my syptoms are the same although I am 6 weeks out of surgery. Plus the X-ray taken last weeks shows no fusion happening at this point.

ttguns I had a 1 level ACDF on Valentine's Day of this year, my DX was Large herniation of C5-6 pressing on the spine with displaced nerve root on the left & right side alo placing pressure on the spine, stenosis & kyphosis.

RE: 2Level Discectomy w/fusion and hardware - jayne - 03-30-2011

Bummer it may take 6 months or more for the fusion to take place.....mine never did...however you have the titianum plate there for protection.....the loose screw I have had since the first x-ray after surgery in fact the surgeon gave Bill a copy of the x-rays and told him here is proof your wife as a loose screw.....he said they can back out a bit with no problems....Mine never fused so I cant have all the hardware removed....I got less than a weeks relief from the surgery it is now worse than before.....I wish I had never had it done...I have had several x-rays since and it hasnt moved....

RE: 2Level Discectomy w/fusion and hardware - Cervical_Fusion - 03-30-2011

my first cervical fusion was a single level with hardware, 3 yrs ago my hardware shifted and the screws came out some, i had a second surgrey a year later this surgrey involved 2 more levels. with a total on 8 screws and a large bracket ,and a new bone in place for a total of a 3 level fusion.

RE: 2Level Discectomy w/fusion and hardware - Bummer Knees - 03-30-2011

Thanks Jayne & CF, I do have a lot to learn about neck injury.

The neurosurgeon made it clear the surgery was being done for stablity & correct the pressure on the cord & nerve.
He said the surgery may help a little with the pain.

I do think I have seen a little relief with the surgery, so my surgery may be a success, I hope.

RE: 2Level Discectomy w/fusion and hardware - boilerman - 03-30-2011

Bummer knees,
I have been out of surgery for over a year now and still have problems with stability and balance, even after p/t for almost a year.

RE: 2Level Discectomy w/fusion and hardware - jayne - 04-03-2011

the only relief I got was while in the hospital on the IV drugs......now I just deal with it.... and live on narcs.....