Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums
what can a attorney recieve from your backpay? - Printable Version

+- Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general)
+-- Forum: Category (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Injured Worker Forum (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: what can a attorney recieve from your backpay? (/showthread.php?tid=11290)

Pages: 1 2 3

what can a attorney recieve from your backpay? - DANIELLE38 - 11-07-2010

I finally recieved my back pay from workers comp not my settlement. I recieved $30,000 plus $6,000 in penalties. My attorney recieved $12, 600 by the judge. Now here is the thing, he said that he is to get 20% of my back pay and also that my weekly checks will go to his office and put into a iota account which will be 20% of my weekly checks. do anyone know if this legal? He is ripping me of, I am living in the state of louisiana can someone give me some advice. I sit to late to change attorneys?

RE: what can a attorney recieve from your backpay? - 1171 - 11-07-2010

no it's not too late to change. you can switch anytime.
atty fees are controlled by the comp court.
you can contact the Office of work comp
http://www.laworks.net/PublicRelations/PR_Contacts.asp
for detailed information about atty fees.

RE: what can a attorney recieve from your backpay? - Bummer Knees - 11-07-2010

Yes it is legal, in Kansas the wc attorney receives 25%.

RE: what can a attorney recieve from your backpay? - jayne - 11-07-2010

if he fought for you and got it for you he earned it for you

RE: what can a attorney recieve from your backpay? - DANIELLE38 - 11-07-2010

[quote=jayne]
if he fought for you and got it for you he earned it for you
/

Please dont talk stupid to me about this question. yes he did do work for me to get my back pay and was also awarded 12,600 by the workers comp judge and still want 20% of what I get especially my weekly payments and back he is already paid why be greedy?

RE: what can a attorney recieve from your backpay? - jayne - 11-07-2010

it is his job....I am not talking down or stupid to you.....did you read the paper work you signed? if you get nothing he gets nothing .....he gets 20 % of what you get back and forward.....he will also get a % of your settlement...

RE: what can a attorney recieve from your backpay? - Bummer Knees - 11-07-2010

Your state legislators sets the amount the work comp attorney's receive in your state.

If you don't like this then contact them and tell them why. Learn to advocate
and testify before your state legislature for a change in the law.

My attorney receives 25% of any money, TTD or settlement I receive.
If not for my attorney I would not have received my total knee replacement and would not be able to walk today.

My attorney has earned every penny of the 25% is paid.

RE: what can a attorney recieve from your backpay? - chrischris - 11-07-2010

It's up to the attorney and your agreement made with him. Many attorneys will collect their percentage from all settlements and BENEFITS you are paid due to the work they did to get those benefits for you.

Think of it this way. Without your attorney, you may have received zero dollars.

Congrats on your backpay.

RE: what can a attorney recieve from your backpay? - nursedina - 11-08-2010

My attorney takes 20% of his amount out of all my checks. It's the agreement I signed. He will also get 20% of my settlement.

You asked if this was legal, and you asked if he was ripping you off. You got the answers but I don't think you like the answers. It is legal if that is the agreement you signed and as you see, some other people here pay upwards of 25%.

I know it sucks to have to give up any money when you have not had it in so long, but the attorney did his job, and this is how he gets paid. It's not being greedy, it's his paycheck.

Glad you got your back pay.

Good luck,
Dina

RE: what can a attorney recieve from your backpay? - DANIELLE38 - 11-08-2010

jayne Wrote:it is his job....I am not talking down or stupid to you.....did you read the paper work you signed? if you get nothing he gets nothing .....he gets 20 % of what you get back and forward.....he will also get a % of your settlement...

I know that he gets a % of my settlement most attorneys get payments after the case is settled. He wants money out of every thing that I get. I did read the papers and also I am letting another attorney aslo look over them. Thanks for the advice hopefully I can change attorneys I just dont trust him.