Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums
Chemical Sensitivity - nurse visit tomorrow - Printable Version

+- Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general)
+-- Forum: Category (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Injured Worker Forum (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Chemical Sensitivity - nurse visit tomorrow (/showthread.php?tid=10834)

Pages: 1 2

Chemical Sensitivity - nurse visit tomorrow - CavScout - 08-05-2010

Hi All,
Yes I'm a newbie, but I did search for a thread that similar and didn't find one. I work in Minnesota, but live in Wisconsin.

I have an accepted claim from WC for an extreme sensitivity to a fragrance that we use at work. New job, new fragrance, didn't really bother me that much for a week or so. Then it really kicked in and I got a splitting headache, numbness and tingling in fingertips, parts of my face, my nose, nausea, and more not-fun stuff. Anyway it's been cruddy at work. I have to wear a respirator when I'm near the stuff, but the dang stuff if EVERYWHERE. Not only that, but my boss thinks I'm faking it and that is really messing with my head.

My claim was accepted by Fireman's Fund and now they are sending a nurse to visit me at home tomorrow. They told me I'd receive paperwork in the mail and I haven't seen a thing but one small check. I'm a little freaked out after reading all the posts here about how they're going to try and cut benefits as soon as they can. The problem with the sensitivity is that now other people's cologne and perfume also make me sick. I had to leave a store today because of it. From what my doctor has told me, an allergist, this is going to stick with me the rest of my life. I'm really going to watch what I say tomorrow, but I'm worried about it and am thinking of hiring a lawyer.

Are there any other chemical sensitive people out there who can share their story with me?

RE: Chemical Sensitivity - nurse visit tomorrow - fireball - 08-05-2010

cavscout,, not a professional in any means--dont know ur state others will be ablke to help u more
make sure ur state says u have to see this nurse case manager coming to ur house tommorow. if not i would not answer the door or answer any questions--they r not out to help u but work for the w/comp in ways u do not know-----
personally until u hear from ur atty about this nurse or anyone else on here--my doorbell is not WORKING!!!!!!---seriously!!!!

cheers!!!!!!

A fool is one that opens a door onlyto have them decieve them!!!!!!

RE: Chemical Sensitivity - nurse visit tomorrow - Cycler - 08-06-2010

I disagree. NCM"s can be your most helpful ally in comp matters and they are hired by the carrier specifically to fact find and facilitate communication. That some here are not enamored of them reflects more the nature and complexities of their own situations as outliers in the comp injury spectrum.

There IS a medical workup for environmental sensitivities and one exposure can lower the threshold to other scents and chemical so that other products starts causing reactions. Meeting the NCM at leasts once for fact finding and reporting purposes is better than creating further suspicion by refusing and it's naive, paranoid and foolish to say otherwise.

RE: Chemical Sensitivity - nurse visit tomorrow - jayne - 08-06-2010

cavscout I agree with both of them above she can be your best friend or your worst enemy.....I am also chem sensitve which makes it fun to go anywhere....watch to see if your NCM comes tomorrow with perfume on if she does dont let her in...let someone else answer the door sniff and refuse her if she has it on..you have to have an advocate being chem sensitive..my husband or daughter walks ahead of me by about 5 steps and lets me know when someone has decided to take a shower in perfume.....the laundry soap aisle is really good for a killer head ache....stay away from stores at christmas time the heavy scents women wear combined with the heat in the store will make you ill unless you wear a mask..... I have been known to wear a mask and take my portable O machine to get shopping done ......now with Walmart open 24/7 I go late at night......careful tho I find men now days are even wearing some scents that are good for a migrain.....

RE: Chemical Sensitivity - nurse visit tomorrow - Bummer Knees - 08-06-2010

Many with chemical sensitivity are allergic to store purchased cleaning products, same as with the scents.

Google online safe cleaning products

with the bigger walmarts the ones that are like warehouses the scents are drawn to the top its easier on you.....always call ahead to a hotel you are going to and tell them NOT to spray your room with air freshener and drive in movies take on a whole new meaning

RE: Chemical Sensitivity - nurse visit tomorrow - CavScout - 08-06-2010

Thanks all! I really appreciate the input. Yep, it wasn't but a month after I started have big problems with that specific raw material that I started getting hit by all kinds of stuff like cleaning products, scented candles, etc. My house has been cleaned out of that stuff and we're trying for scent free things. So I guess we'll see how it goes.
Thanks again!

alot of companies are coming out with "green" products now but most of your cleaning can be done with vinegar and baking soda believe it or not.....

RE: Chemical Sensitivity - nurse visit tomorrow - Bad Boy Bad Boy - 08-06-2010

(NCM) Nurse case Manager.

Why are they coming to your house? It's easy to answer. They come to your home, they are going to be looking around, they will ask to use the washroom and such. Why? Because they are looking for scents, chemicals and such, that are related to what you now claim are bothering you. Then if they find one single thing, they will say your problem started from your home and not work. Trying to then end your work comp claim. Why? Because you had just started working at such employer.

You never ever have a visit in your home ever. You always tell people to meet you in a place such as a McDonalds or Library.

RE: Chemical Sensitivity - nurse visit tomorrow - Cycler - 08-06-2010

Nonsense. If you have cleaned things out as you say then the NCM cannot report otherwise. Also, not ALL scents and chemicals will set it off and the literature supports that.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:(NCM) Nurse case Manager.

Why are they coming to your house? It's easy to answer. They come to your home, they are going to be looking around, they will ask to use the washroom and such. Why? Because they are looking for scents, chemicals and such, that are related to what you now claim are bothering you. Then if they find one single thing, they will say your problem started from your home and not work. Trying to then end your work comp claim. Why? Because you had just started working at such employer.

You never ever have a visit in your home ever. You always tell people to meet you in a place such as a McDonalds or Library.