Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums
Just found forum...hope this helps! - Printable Version

+- Workers' Compensation Discussion Forums (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general)
+-- Forum: Category (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Injured Worker Forum (https://www.workerscompensation.com/forums/general/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Just found forum...hope this helps! (/showthread.php?tid=10384)

Pages: 1 2

Just found forum...hope this helps! - injuredinidaho - 05-24-2010

I have a state job in Oregon and was injured in February of this year carrying a heavy load (approx 65lbs) in my right arm. My WC case was accepted and I have been receiving bi-weekly checks in the right amount and have had zero problems to this point in my case.

My main problem is I have an SI joint injury in my lower back and have a really hard time walking/bending/sitting and am reliant on pain medications to help with my mobility. The doctor called my injury a strain but its been 3 months, physical therapy, chiropractor and a cortizone injection and I still feel like I did at the time of injury. My next step after physical therapy may be a hip fusion to my sacrum and I do not want to see that happen. I was a physically active 37 year old male and the success rate on this procedure is questionable.

My concerns are my options if my current physical therapy doesn't help and I am stuck with this pain long term?

RE: Just found forum...hope this helps! - AQA - 05-24-2010

welcome to the forum.

There are a great deal of people that suffer from a sprain/strain here. Don't let the word get to you. I still suffer from a sprain/strain and I am disabled. just like others here.

If PT doesn't work and the dr. is recommending surgery. Then you have three choices. 1) have the surgery, 2) request a second oppinion, 3) don't have the surgery. If you choose not to have the surgery. The IC may close your case.

Take Care

RE: Just found forum...hope this helps! - Regrets - 05-25-2010

Usually when a Back is Injured, especially in the Lower Back Area, the Beginning Term Used by the Original Treating Dr.'s is Strain/Sprain, Mine was Diagnosed the Same Way, and even though I have had Surgery that has Failed, and I'm Disabled, the Original Report still shows Sprain/Strain of the Lower Back. That was fought here in Pa. a Little while Back, where a Dr. did Surgery on an Injured Workers Lower Back, and the Ins. Co. tried not to Pay saying that a Sprain/Strain needs Rest and Pt Only, but it was Shot Down in the Courts because the Ins.Co. Approved the Surgery and even though the Original Diagnosis Petition wasn't Changed, the Ins.Co. knew it was More than That.

I was 42 when Injured, have You had an MRI or CT Scan to See what the Actual Damage is? I would assume You have as They are Talking Surgery if the Invasive Procedures don't Provide Relief, I just wanted to Check to Make Sure. Second and Maybe if You can get away with it, or can Afford to Pay for it a Third Opinion should be Done Before Spinal Surgery just to be Sure it's what's Needed. Too Many Dr.'s Out There in too big of a Hurry to Operate to Make the Big Buck! Continue with Caution, and be Sure of Your Decision before You make it! Best of Luck!

RE: Just found forum...hope this helps! - Bad Boy Bad Boy - 05-25-2010

It might be possible to talk these issues over with your treating doctor. Ask if there is any reasonable advancement measures that can be taken, to further look into your pain and problems. And see what happens from there.

RE: Just found forum...hope this helps! - bronco54501 - 05-25-2010

injuredinidaho Wrote:I have a state job in Oregon and was injured in February of this year carrying a heavy load (approx 65lbs) in my right arm. My WC case was accepted and I have been receiving bi-weekly checks in the right amount and have had zero problems to this point in my case.

My main problem is I have an SI joint injury in my lower back and have a really hard time walking/bending/sitting and am reliant on pain medications to help with my mobility. The doctor called my injury a strain but its been 3 months, physical therapy, chiropractor and a cortizone injection and I still feel like I did at the time of injury. My next step after physical therapy may be a hip fusion to my sacrum and I do not want to see that happen. I was a physically active 37 year old male and the success rate on this procedure is questionable.

My concerns are my options if my current physical therapy doesn't help and I am stuck with this pain long term?

I have had that fussion, by mine was a different for I was in a head on mva and sshattered my hip and pelvis. I have 40 + screws and 20 some plates holding my pelvis together....

Alot of peope have this procedure and every one has different results... My hardware cant be removed and I am in pain 24/7, but I am working full time and am not allowed to drive with meds (per employer).. I am a delivery driver and when I am 45 min to an hour from home I pop my meds.. While working my pain levels range from a 6 to a 8, on meds I can get it down to a 4 or 5... The best relief is to lay down on my right side.. i am one of the lucky ones with a wc injury, I,m able to work, and ins has been there for what ever I need...

I am now to the point of realizing my future, I am slowly getting worse and it has made a big dent in my life and destroying our family activities.. I'm ready to throw in the towel... I cant take the pain while working and sometimes makes me in capable to concentrate while driving.......

I do think you need to talk all alteratives with your dr on any decisions you make..... I wish you the best of luck and hope your pain gets under control..........Bronco

RE: Just found forum...hope this helps! - jayne - 05-25-2010

Bronco have you tried floating? it really helps me to just float on my back in a warm pool it takes all the weight off and helps alot

RE: Just found forum...hope this helps! - injuredinidaho - 05-25-2010

Thank you so much for all of your help and suggestions. After this round of PT, I will see how I feel but I am 90% sure I don't want my hip fused at 37. We will see how it goes I guess.

RE: Just found forum...hope this helps! - bronco54501 - 05-25-2010

jayne Wrote:Bronco have you tried floating? it really helps me to just float on my back in a warm pool it takes all the weight off and helps alot

Yes I have and yes it does help.. We have not got ours running yet for weather issues here, we had a snow storm just over a week ago and now that june is near we will be getting it up and running..
I have had traction in pt and almost caused me to go to the er... It sounds wierd but laying in a pool or hanging on tho the edge getting wieght off my back is like traction but less aggresive.. But the water has to be warm for my injured leg cramps so bad I cant get out of the pool...

RE: Just found forum...hope this helps! - jayne - 05-25-2010

MMMMMM while you are here if you have time we will camp one nite at beaver bend state park it is a beautiful lake that is so clear you can see the bottom... and Monsters sister lives close by so we might get her to come down....

RE: Just found forum...hope this helps! - freebird - 05-25-2010

Regrets Wrote:Usually when a Back is Injured, especially in the Lower Back Area, the Beginning Term Used by the Original Treating Dr.'s is Strain/Sprain, Mine was Diagnosed the Same Way, and even though I have had Surgery that has Failed, and I'm Disabled, the Original Report still shows Sprain/Strain of the Lower Back. That was fought here in Pa. a Little while Back, where a Dr. did Surgery on an Injured Workers Lower Back, and the Ins. Co. tried not to Pay saying that a Sprain/Strain needs Rest and Pt Only, but it was Shot Down in the Courts because the Ins.Co. Approved the Surgery and even though the Original Diagnosis Petition wasn't Changed, the Ins.Co. knew it was More than That.

I was 42 when Injured, have You had an MRI or CT Scan to See what the Actual Damage is? I would assume You have as They are Talking Surgery if the Invasive Procedures don't Provide Relief, I just wanted to Check to Make Sure. Second and Maybe if You can get away with it, or can Afford to Pay for it a Third Opinion should be Done Before Spinal Surgery just to be Sure it's what's Needed. Too Many Dr.'s Out There in too big of a Hurry to Operate to Make the Big Buck! Continue with Caution, and be Sure of Your Decision before You make it! Best of Luck!

Whats up SIL? Have any Regrets? Just pickin chickin. LOL