Home | Solutions | News, Blogs & Events | State Info | Kids' Chance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Back injury in FL Need Help Please!!!

My fiancé hurt his back over a year ago at his job and he reported the incident the same day. He's been to two different doctors, both of which were doctors his job sent him to, had two MRI's and had a cortizone injection in his back which never helped. The doctor he was sent to by his work told him he needs spinal decompression surgery. He had two ruptured discs in his lower back and today they just informed him he now has three ruptured discs. His workers comp at the job denied the surgery, and his back is hurting more than ever. Even the doctor that he was told to go to by his job is telling him to get a lawyer involved now, but he's afraid of losing his job if a lawyer does get involved. We have no idea where to go from here! Any answers would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much!

If he doesn't want to get an attorney, he can try starting with the Employee Assistance office. You can find the number for the closest office here: http://www.workerscompensation.com/flori...acts01.php

if he physically can't do his job he will lose his job.
it doesn't sound like getting an atty or not will change that.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

He can do his job, he's on light duty and is able to work like that. So he's not in any danger of losing his job though.

He really should get an attorney as it can help with the whole process. He neds to file for a hearing at the least so that a judge can decide wether the IC should authorize the surgery. I know worrying about a job in todays economy is tough but his health and welfare should be more important than any job. If they fire him solely because he gets an attorney involved that is called discrimination. The back is nothing to mess with. I have a neck and upper back issue and have experienced problems due to the IC stall tactics and am currently awaiting another day in court over them not authorizing treatment.

if he wants the surgery he can appeal the denial to the work comp commission. He doesn't need an atty to appeal.
more information:
http://www.fldfs.com/WC/employee/education.html

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Normally, you lose your job no matter what. This is what I have seen happen to people. They don't want to continue to keep you as a risk on their payroll and will replace you. It's a tough world out there. Wishing you the best of luck.

Cajun Hugsssssssssssss,
MJC

Lumbar Laminectomy L5 - S1, Lumbar Disectomy L 4 -5, Cervical Microdisectomy C-4 -5, Cervical Anterior Fusion C 4 -5, Cervical Anterior Fusion C 5 - 6, Lumbar Disectomy, Laminectomy and Foraminotmy L 3 - 4, Cryo Surgery Lumbar. --Ongoing Problems.. Permanently Totally Disabled.

In Florida, the procedure is:
When there is a dispute as to compensability or benefits owed, the employee may request assistance from the Employee Assistance Office.

If the dispute is not resolved, the employee may file a Petition for Benefits. Within 14 days after receipt of a petition for benefits by certified mail, the carrier must either pay the requested benefits without prejudice to its right to deny within 120 days from receipt of the petition or file a response to petition with the Office of the Judges of Compensation Claims.

Once the petition for benefits is filed, a Mediation conference must be held within 130 days.

The Final (Merits) Hearing must be held and concluded within 90 days after the mediation conference is held. (210 days after receipt of the Petition for Benefits)

Appeals of an order of the Judge of Compensation Claims (JCC) are heard by the First District Court of Appeals.

Hurt in FL Wrote:My fiancé hurt his back over a year ago at his job and he reported the incident the same day. He's been to two different doctors, both of which were doctors his job sent him to, had two MRI's and had a cortizone injection in his back which never helped. The doctor he was sent to by his work told him he needs spinal decompression surgery. He had two ruptured discs in his lower back and today they just informed him he now has three ruptured discs. His workers comp at the job denied the surgery, and his back is hurting more than ever. Even the doctor that he was told to go to by his job is telling him to get a lawyer involved now, but he's afraid of losing his job if a lawyer does get involved. We have no idea where to go from here! Any answers would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much!

Hi hurt in Fl,
The first thing u ever need to do when dealing with and injury especially like this one is contact a lawyer...once work comp is involve his job has no concern with the situation...actually if he has 3 ruptured discs he should not be on light duty at work...he should be out collecting a chk...otherwise ur gonna find WC getting out on some sort of a technicality and u will be stuck with the surgery bill...to give u an idea i am having double disc replacement on aug 11, 09 and have been waiting out of work since sept 07...of course see a lawyer(a good one) and he will inform uu of all of the laws in your state...also once u have a lawyer u do not under any circumstances speak with work or esp the insurance comp... they will record all calls...the ins comp that i deal with is afraid of my attorney...they dont even go to my Dr appointments anymore....of and DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING FROM INS COMPANY....GOOD luck and if u have any questions email me at vontyson@gmail.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by 1171
10-26-2019, 07:26 PM
Last Post by 1171
07-07-2017, 01:49 AM
Last Post by dolphins
04-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Last Post by aceiam
04-02-2015, 09:07 PM
Last Post by Robby
09-12-2014, 01:59 PM