Home | Solutions | News, Blogs & Events | State Info | Kids' Chance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Some kids have it, some don't

Cody is my 10 yr old son. He has Autism, and other health related disabilities. He is verbal, but speaks very slow.

When his behavior is good, other then his speech a person would not know he has autism.

Today he started "Kids College" classes held for 90 minutes at the local college.

Cody is enrolled in an art classs. there are 2 other children in the class, both girls.

Today I over overheard a conversation Cody had with one of the girls in the class and I wanted to share........

Cody to one of the girls, "I have autism"
Other student, "Whats that"
Cody, "Some kids have it, some don't"

This is the first time that I know of that Cody has tried to explain his disability. I thought he did a very good job explaining.

sounds like hes got the right answer in a nutshell

........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Bummer..that is so up lifting also. His explanation is so simple and yet so trusting, accepting, and shows a lot of self confidence. I commend you and your husband. I have had the pleasure of hearing your husband speak of his son, and I walked away knowing that your son even with his disability will grow up with lots of confidence in himself... this is just one example ... thanks for sharing this .. love Red

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

Bummer,
What a wonderful response he gave his new friend. The strides they can make are amazing at times. God bless you and your son.

Cajun Hugssssssssss,
MJC

Lumbar Laminectomy L5 - S1, Lumbar Disectomy L 4 -5, Cervical Microdisectomy C-4 -5, Cervical Anterior Fusion C 4 -5, Cervical Anterior Fusion C 5 - 6, Lumbar Disectomy, Laminectomy and Foraminotmy L 3 - 4, Cryo Surgery Lumbar. --Ongoing Problems.. Permanently Totally Disabled.

That was a Wonderful Reply, and You should be Very Proud of Your Son!!Smile

Thank you everyone.

I am proud of my son.

I tell him just because he has autism, really dosen't make him any different then other children.

Course my son my other kidos, have bipolar, ADHD, Dyslexia, and Learning Disabilities.

Sometimes my kidos will try and use their disability as an excuse not to do something.
I tell them, "Your disability is not an excuse, I'm short so what"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by California_Help
04-18-2014, 01:42 PM
Last Post by jayne
01-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Last Post by red1030
01-12-2009, 01:31 PM