Home | Solutions | News, Blogs & Events | State Info | Kids' Chance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What are my options? (AL)
Question 

Hi,

I won't bore you with all the details, but basically I fractured my hand/wrist due to a slip and fall accident in August 2020. I started receiving worker's comp benefits and went through phys therapy (9 sessions.) until the middle of November 2020. I felt that there was a strong possibility of either being let go ASAP or be placed in the same situation I was in that caused the slip/fall in the first place (unsafe working conditions.) and started doing "gig" work delivering groceries as soon as I was released back to work by the orthopedic doctor.

I thought I was at least 95% healed, but I guess I was wrong. I had to carry some heavy items up a flight of stairs today and I am paying dearly for it now. My wrist hurts almost as bad as it did not long after I had the original accident.

Long story short, is it at all possible for me to receive benefits once again, or am I stuck having to work through the pain just to pay my normal bills such as rent, food, etc?

You probably have to file a new claim against your new employer. Talk to your doctor and see if they will support a new injury/aggravation of the old injury. If so have them file a new claim report.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

(04-26-2021, 10:37 AM)1171 Wrote:  You probably have to file a new claim against your new employer. Talk to your doctor and see if they will support a new injury/aggravation of the old injury. If so have them file a new claim report.

The thing is, I'm an independent contractor (1099)....

(04-29-2021, 12:02 AM)beaston Wrote:  
(04-26-2021, 10:37 AM)1171 Wrote:  You probably have to file a new claim against your new employer. Talk to your doctor and see if they will support a new injury/aggravation of the old injury. If so have them file a new claim report.

The thing is, I'm an independent contractor (1099)....

That doesn’t mean you are not an employee for work comp purposes. Most internet “delivery” workers are still entitled to work comp benefits. Most companies that tried the delivery/independent contractor ruse were shot down by the state labor/insurance commission and the courts.
You can contact a comp atty for a free initial consultation.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by 1171
12-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Last Post by 1171
07-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Last Post by nursedina
01-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Last Post by Still in Limbo
10-18-2007, 07:13 PM