Home | Solutions | News, Blogs & Events | State Info | Kids' Chance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New and have a question

I live in Iowa. I was hurt at work and was sent to a chiropractor. He told me to take this entire week off. I told my employer and they want me to work half days - if I work half days, against the dr's orders, how is this going to effect my claim?

Welcome to the forum!

Has your employer filed a work comp claim on your injury?

Is the chiropractor you are going to the treating doctor the insurance company has sent you to?

If the treating doctor says no work for one week then you must follow what he says, not the employer. The treating doctor will give you work restrictions that says no work and this should be in writting.

That's pretty bad advice by your DC, against all the medical science and associated with an INCREASE is disability and slow recovery. Go with your employers offer, much better for you and meaning less as it pertains to your claim.

Ok, first thanks for the advice - my employer has filed a claim for me with work comp - I haven't spoken to them as of yet. The chiropractor was one suggested by my employer, and he has given me a note, which I gave to my employer, telling me to take this week off.

The chiropractor told me today that he thought I was prorgressing well and if I continue on this same path, then I should b able to return to work next week - for half days. This is the information that I passed onto my employer today.

However, the two of u gave me different advice - how do I know who to listen to?

listen to your body......you simply must follow Drs orders period....if you think you can do half days ask your Dr if you can try half days if he says ok then you can try if he says no then you have to follow drs orders or be in non complyance(sp)which in the WC world can get you in lots of trouble

........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

I have always been told to follow what my treating wc doctor says with the work restrictions.

Perhaps 1171 will be along shortly and we will see what he has to say.

A dr. wins the battle!!!!!

I understand what Cycler is saying. A return to work can speed up recovery. However, returning to work to soon can cause more damage. That is why the dr. wins the battle. Not the employer.

8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system. 

there really is no rule against working sooner/earlier then the doctor releases you.
Iowa will pay disability on the amount of wages lost.

my 2 cents:
the employer should not have put you in the middle. if they had a problem with the disability they should have discussed it with the chiropractor and worked out an agreement and and not made you a pawn.
the doctor doesn't know the details of your job duties and the employer doesn't know your functional limitations. both are working with half the story. they need to collaborate.

Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

the Dr is usually wrong. Can you do what your employer is asking of you ? If so then do it. If it was YOUR business would you go in ?

1171, as usual. Well said.

Cycler, I am not sure about you. The statement " the dr. is usually wrong ". What are you trying to say????? What do you think the author is going to think???? What do you think others are going to think?????? You do have a wealth of information, but do you think anyone is going to take you seriously with the statement " the dr. is usually wrong "?????

8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. After going back to school, I received my degree as a mechanical engineer. What can I say, it was the only way I had to beat the system.