Missouri Workers' Compensation Legal Library
Missouri Home Page > Missouri Regulations
287.812. Definitions. -As used in sections 287.812 to 287.855, unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the following terms shall mean:
(1) "Administrative law judge", any person appointed pursuant to section 287.610 or section 621.015, or any person who hereafter may have by law all of the powers now vested by law in administrative law judges appointed under the provisions of the workers' compensation law;
(2) "Beneficiary", a surviving spouse married to the deceased administrative law judge or legal advisor of the division of workers' compensation continuously for a period of at least two years immediately preceding the administrative law judge's or legal advisor's death and also on the day of the last termination of such person's employment as an administrative law judge or legal advisor for the division of workers' compensation, or if there is no surviving spouse eligible to receive benefits, any minor child of the deceased administrative law judge or legal advisor, or any child of the deceased administrative law judge or legal advisor who, regardless of age, is unable to support himself because of intellectual disability, disease or disability, or any physical handicap or disability, who shall share in the benefits on an equal basis with all other beneficiaries;
(3) "Benefit", a series of equal monthly payments payable during the life of an administrative law judge or legal advisor of the division of workers' compensation retiring pursuant to the provisions of sections 287.812 to 287.855 or payable to a beneficiary as provided in sections 287.812 to 287.850;
(4) "Board", the board of trustees of the Missouri state employees' retirement system;
(5) "Chief legal counsel", any person appointed or employed under section 287.615 to serve in the capacity of legal counsel to the division;
(6) "Division", the division of workers' compensation of the state of Missouri;
(7) "Legal advisor", any person appointed or employed pursuant to section 287.600, 287.615, or 287.616* to serve in the capacity as a legal advisor or an associate administrative law judge and any person appointed pursuant to section 286.010 or pursuant to section 295.030, and any attorney or legal counsel appointed or employed pursuant to section 286.070;
(8) "Salary", the total annual compensation paid for personal services as an administrative law judge or legal advisor, or both, of the division of workers' compensation by the state or any of its political subdivisions.
(L. 1984 H.B. 1106, A.L. 1987 H.B. 564 merged with H.B. 713, A.L. 1994 H.B. 1149, A.L. 1997 H.B. 356, A.L. 1998 H.B. 971, A.L. 2005 S.B. 1 & 130, A.L. 2014 H.B. 1064)
*Section 287.616 was repealed by S.B. 1 & 130, 2005.