102.82 Uninsured employer payments.
(1) Except as provided in sub. (2) (ar) , an uninsured employer shall reimburse the department for any payment made under s. 102.81 (1) to or on behalf of an employee of the uninsured employer or to an employee's dependents and for any expenses paid by the department in administering the claim of the employee or dependents, less amounts repaid by the employee or dependents under s. 102.81 (4) (b) . The reimbursement owed under this subsection is due within 30 days after the date on which the department notifies the uninsured employer that the reimbursement is owed. Interest shall accrue on amounts not paid when due at the rate of 1 percent per month.
(2) (a) Except as provided in pars. (ag) , (am) and (ar) , all uninsured employers shall pay to the department the greater of the following:
- Twice the amount determined by the department to equal what the uninsured employer would have paid during periods of illegal nonpayment for worker's compensation insurance in the preceding 3-year period based on the employer's payroll in the preceding 3 years.
- Seven hundred and fifty dollars. (ag) An uninsured employer who is liable to the department under par. (a) 2 shall pay to the department, in lieu of the payment
required under par. (a) 2. , $100 per day for each day that the employer is uninsured if all of the following apply:
- The employer is uninsured for 7 consecutive days or less.
- The employer has not previously been uninsured.
3. No injury for which the employer is liable under s. 102.03 has occurred during the period in which the employer is uninsured.
(am) The department may waive any payment owed under par.
- by an uninsured employer if the department determines that the uninsured employer is subject to this chapter only because the uninsured employer has elected to become subject to this chapter under s. 102.05 (2) or 102.28 (2) . (ar) The department may waive any payment owed under par.
- or (ag) or sub. (1) if the department determines that the sole reason for the uninsured employer's failure to comply with s. 102.28
- is that the uninsured employer was a victim of fraud, misrepresentation or gross negligence by an insurance agent or insurance broker or by a person whom a reasonable person would believe is an insurance agent or insurance broker.
- The payment owed under par. (a) or (ag) is due within 30 days after the date on which the employer is notified. Interest shall accrue on amounts not paid when due at the rate of 1 percent per month.
- The department of justice or, if the department of justice consents, the department of workforce development may bring an action in circuit court to recover payments and interest owed to the department of workforce development under this section.
- (a) When an employee dies as a result of an injury for which an uninsured employer is liable under s. 102.03 , the uninsured employer shall pay $1,000 to the department.
- The payment under par. (a) is in addition to any benefits or other compensation paid to an employee or survivors or the work injury supplemental benefit fund under ss. 102.46 to 102.51 .
History: 1989 a. 64 , 359 ; 1991 a. 85 ; 1993 a. 81 ; 1995 a. 27 s. 9130 (4) ; 1997 a. 3 , 38 ; 2003 a. 144 ; 2009 a. 206 .