• Please excuse our dust
  • We are continuing the redesign of our forums
  • We'll get there eventually!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about neurotin?
I take neurotin for the nerve pain.

I understand that some medication no longer work after a period of time, is this also true with neurotin?

The nerve pain has increased but I really don't want to share the details.

Haven't done anything to cause an increase in the pain so I am wondering if it is the meds not working.

Usually, people who take neurontin work up to 1800 mg total per day before a good pain relief is felt. I was told I could go as high as 3600 mg if needed. It's one of the meds you take the lowest dose possible that gives you relief. Everyone is different.
Let Go, and Let God......

PM sent

Thanks chrischris, I can't take that high of a dose because of the side effects.

I can not afford the cost of Lyrica so I have stayed with neurotin.

Wc isn't paying for meds other then Loratab because we are still waiting for the judge to make a decision, been 15 months now.

Bummer Knees Wrote:Thanks chrischris, I can't take that high of a dose because of the side effects.

I can not afford the cost of Lyrica so I have stayed with neurotin.

Wc isn't paying for meds other then Loratab because we are still waiting for the judge to make a decision, been 15 months now.

I do not understand how WC can refuse to pay for your meds that a PM Doctor says you need.
I have been on WC for almost 7 years and I have never had a medication request from my PM Doctor denied.

Lyrica is expensive but it is a God Send to me for nerve pain and WC pays for this in my state because my PM Doctor wrote the prescription for it 3 years ago along with the 4 other meds used for PM.

Good luckj; I am glad I am not in your shoes because PAIN suxs snd you should be supplied with the best for your work related injury.

Bummer, I'm up to 2400 mg. of Neurontin Daily, and I'm allowed 600 mg. more If I Feel I Need it. Oddly enough, even though Lyrica is supposed to be the New Version of Neurontin, I use 150mg. of Lyrica Daily for Restless Leg Syndrome, the Neurontin Helps the Inflammation, but not Restless Leg for Me, it's Odd how Meds. Effect People Differently. Over My Injury Time I have tried Weening, with My Dr.'s Approval from All of My Meds. at One Time or another, as I Only want the Minimum in My Body, and Neurontin Works at this Level for My Crushed S1 Nerve Root Inflammation. You May want to Check with Your Dr. it May be Time for a Slight Raise in Your Dosage! Good Luck!!Wink

Morning Bummer......I started Neurontin at 100 mg 3 xs a day and worked up to 900....at 900 I have horrible anger attacks. I am safe at 600.can't go any higher.....I know it works because if I lower it or stop taking it my nerve damage in my shoulder and big toe are unbearable...I still have bad days in spite of taking this.....COuldn't take Lyrica.....I blew up....

Limbo....Bill has taken Requip for about 5years for RLS...works like a charm for him....just so you know if the Lyrica ever stops working there are other meds out there for it.

Smile

Freebird the nerve pain meds is for the back and we still wait (15 month) for a decision from the judge to add the back to the claim.

So I pay for the medication.

Thanks for the Tip Cap.!! I'll keep that in Mind should I Need it!!Smile

Hi Bummer... Neurotin or gabapentin is a drug that must be gently increased. Its absorbtion rates are different for different people and can also be influenced by other drugs. Depending on your dosage, as said above, it may be time for a gentle increase. I had a doctor who put me on it for neuropathy due to the MS, and started me out at 600 mg three times a day... that caused me to be drugged and no it. I could barely walk with it...so I only took it for a few days and decided it wasn't a drug that I wanted on my list... so I walk with my knives pushing into my feet. My positive side to that is at least when I take a step I know where they are....lol... Del is also taking it and it was increased over a period of about 8 months... he is now taking 3200 mg daily and he says it is better than taking a Vicodin for his pain.

also Still, there is Miraprex... for RLS...that is what I take. I take the max dose right now.. so may have to come off of it. Also know that anytime your iron is low from blood loss or other reasons, your RLS concerns will rise to the point that medications will not help. They check my iron levels every 3 months for that very reason. I experience RLS in my shoulders, hands, and abdomin area which is very rare, but not with people who have both RLS and MS... so Miraprex is very good also..however it is a drug that is usually used for other health issues and its side effect is it impact on RLS...good luck bummer...
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DR visit & going on neurotin Bummer Knees 9 2,402 08-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees