• We are continuing the redesign of our forums
  • We'll get there eventually!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
crps
Question 
HI
I am new here and looking for anyone who suffers from complex regional pain syndrome. I live in Indiana and was hurt on the job 2-16-06. On 12-21-06 I had elbow surgery due to the injury at work. I developed crps from the shoulder to the tips of my fingers. WC sent me to a Pain Management Anesthesiologist and he has been treating me with Lyrica,altram er, and stelliate ganglion blocks which help reduce the pain aprox 50%. WC now refuses to authorize these blocks and Dr appointments. They tried to settle for $9700.00. I refused and I do not have a lawyer and have filed with WC board for adjustment of claim for future medical expences as this is a lifelong condition. This is a chronic pain condition. They assigned a nurse case manager to me and she continually violated the HIPA laws by discussing my case in the waiting room. Their Dr. apparently gave me a MMI and rating of 15% loss of arm. He told me to just " live with the pain" and does not agree with my Pain Management Dr for the need of these blocks and med's for the rest of my life. I have my first pre-trial conference in a month. Any suggestions?

have a plan to resolve the disputes before you go into the conference.

Check out a posting on the off topic site here. There is a utube video about this condition and at the end of it is an Aussi support group web site. Don't know if this can be of any benefit. Worth a try though. Must admit I have never heard of this condition either.

I have an answer for you. You are going through this the EXACT same way I did except I accepted the 10% impairment rating as I did not have a lawyer to fight for me. The only difference we have is my doctor said that I had a 32% impairment which was my TREATING doctor for 1 1/2 yrs. and then they (WC) thought it was way to high to pay so they sent me to their doctor. When it came down to push n shove the court made the WC lawyer go to a hearing with me over the dispute. I did not have a lawyer on my side nor did I do any work on how many IME's this doctor that did the IME for the IC had done. The court officer took me out in the hall and took me aside and said " get yourself a lawyer". He knew right then and there before I even got the verdict that I did not have a chance without one to fight. It seems you have to have a lawyer these days or they walk all over you. Maybe you look better by having one on your side??? I have no idea why this court officer would say that if he did not know what I was in for. Then I got the verdict of their doctor being more credible.

The court system knew this doctor from the WC IME very well and found him more credible. They knew the lawyer that walked in to my hearing even. Now if I could do things all over again I would first GET A LAWYER to go to the hearing with you, Second I would look into how many IME's this doctor did for the WC IC and how many times he was more credible. I went and got information on the doctor that did my IME for the IC after I lost the hearing and NOT ONCE did it say he ever did IME's. He was a sports doctor and his credentials were all teaching and nothing to do with CRPS or anything to do with what I was diagnosed with. He even stated in his notes that he saw me in his NH office when in fact he saw me in his Ma. office. That is how much this doctor paid attention to who he was doing the IME on. They do so many of them and just write what the IC wants to hear and what they pay him for.

After the hearing I received the $7,500.00 and still had my treatments and doctor visits paid for up until I was told from my PM doctor that I needed a SCS ( spinal cord stimulator ) did they tell me that my case has been closed due to not being work related..LOL Now how can they tell me it is NOT work related after accepting my case BECAUSE IT DID HAPPEN AT WORK????? My boss is the one that filed the report. I did not want to and was forced to sign it before I could go home. So # 1 get a Lawyer. You do not have to pay unless you win. # 2. If you choose to do it on your own, make sure you know all about this doctor that did your IME and how many he has done in his lifetime and for the WC IC that you are dealing with. That is very important to show how credible he /she is. Also if you can go get a IME done from YOUR OWN doctor and pay for it yourself and have it documented on paper. My doctor that did the MMI took 1 1/2 hours testing me. He tested my strength etc. The IC doctor looked at me for 10 mins and just had me squeeze his hand and he was done. When I said this in court I had no proof. I even had a letter from my doctor of what he thought of the IC IME doctor and what he had to say about my MMI and still did not help. If you have any questions, feel free to send me an email. Good luck.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

Great Advice Sparky !

Get yourself a lawyer ithurts. You will definitely need one, as your medical problems now involve you having to endure pain, and the need of medical help for the rest of your life! You need to be covered by WC, and the only way that will happen is if you have someone 'in the know' fighting for you!

Lilly
Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!

ithurts Wrote:HI
I am new here and looking for anyone who suffers from complex regional pain syndrome. I live in Indiana and was hurt on the job 2-16-06. On 12-21-06 I had elbow surgery due to the injury at work. I developed crps from the shoulder to the tips of my fingers. WC sent me to a Pain Management Anesthesiologist and he has been treating me with Lyrica,altram er, and stelliate ganglion blocks which help reduce the pain aprox 50%. WC now refuses to authorize these blocks and Dr appointments. They tried to settle for $9700.00. I refused and I do not have a lawyer and have filed with WC board for adjustment of claim for future medical expences as this is a lifelong condition. This is a chronic pain condition. They assigned a nurse case manager to me and she continually violated the HIPA laws by discussing my case in the waiting room. Their Dr. apparently gave me a MMI and rating of 15% loss of arm. He told me to just " live with the pain" and does not agree with my Pain Management Dr for the need of these blocks and med's for the rest of my life. I have my first pre-trial conference in a month. Any suggestions?
first of all it is nice to be able to chat with someone in the same position as i. first of all in ill. we do not have to allow a case manager to go with us--find out your law in indina if you do not have to have them go with you tell them you no longer want this person following you. years ago without this knowledge i allowed a nurse case manager to follow me--what lies they tell and what they do are unbelievable--they work for w/comp to stop any payments and treatments. i also was on w/comp and when needed the injections they refused--everything was fine until then i think they must have some sort of info that says if a person gets to this point than they have a serious problem with the rsd/cprs and try and get out asap. it was the same with my spinal cord stimulator. i was lucky as i am covered by ssdi however, it took w/comp almost a year to write me a denial letter so medicare could pay for the treatment i needed. by then my rsd had spread through the rest of my body. i had two blocks by then it was too late. spinal cord was implanted last year it really does help and as soon as i can go 90 days without an antibotic(i get sores from lack of circulation)i can have a trial to insert one in my neck. so it sounds to me like your w/comp is just like mine--i have a great atty. and won at my first trial in regards to all aspects yet of course they want to appeal as the cost of insuring me for life will be high. i wish you well get an attorney fight if possible get rid of the nurse case manager look up the laws for your state regarding it--my husband still wants to dismantle the one i had years ago. let me know if there is anything else i can help you out with i got rsd from a brokne ankle in 1994. was off work for 5 yrs. subsided and i returned to work until this accident take care and good luck

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CRPS Settlement Midnigh51 12 2,500 06-25-2015, 12:02 PM
Last Post: dolphins
Sad Has anyone with CRPS/RSD have blisters show up out of no where? Sunshine7 16 13,577 03-30-2015, 08:08 PM
Last Post: dolphins
  crps/ wc whats gonna happen midget 6 2,344 01-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Last Post: 1171
  is CRPS a factor in MMI? sonny1 7 8,314 12-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Last Post: dusty boy
  REVISED is CRPS part of total loss of use? sonny1 1 3,887 04-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Last Post: 1171
Exclamation CRPS/RSD traveling scared* sonny1 3 6,901 02-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Last Post: sonny1
Shy NY, any difference in CRPS/neuropathy? sonny1 1 7,259 02-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Last Post: UndercovrAngel
MyBB CRPS/RSD and The FCE test suffers from crps 42 31,748 01-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Last Post: bronco54501
  New find of CRPS after Final Admission of Liability lefty 8 8,984 11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Last Post: lefty
  rsd/crps flipper 11 9,880 05-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Tuffy