• Please excuse our dust
  • We are continuing the redesign of our forums
  • We'll get there eventually!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impairment Ratings
Hi,
Can anyone help me to understand this? I have a permanent impairment to my spine, even after surgery. How do they calculate the benefits?
Thank you.

each state has different formula; some are very complex. you can contact your state work comp agency for information or visit their website.
generally they all result in a fixed number of weeks. there is a separate calculation for determining the weekly payment rate.

1171 Wrote:each state has different formula; some are very complex. you can contact your state work comp agency for information or visit their websit.
generally they all result in a fixed number of weeks. there is a separate calculation for determining the weekly payment rate.

Hi and thank you,
I am in SC. I haven't been able to find much info so I was hoping to get a starting place here. Do they award 500 weeks for all permanent disability? Then, how is the impairment rating calculated? Is that on top of that?

you can read more about impairment and disability ratings in the South Carolina code covering workers compensation.
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t42c009.htm
partial disability only awards the worker a percentage of 500 weeks.

1171 Wrote:you can read more about impairment and disability ratings in the South Carolina code covering workers compensation.
http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t42c009.htm
partial disability only awards the worker a percentage of 500 weeks.

Thank you so much. I am at such a loss here and the lawyer that I had is of no help.
Mariannerita

With out know the rating percentage is hard also. But as per your State, the back would have to be at 50% or better to collect 66 2/3 your scale pale up to 500 weeks of pay. You will not really be able to figure it out though. None of us can as each and every case is different, and the amounts are never the same.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:With out know the rating percentage is hard also. But as per your State, the back would have to be at 50% or better to collect 66 2/3 your scale pale up to 500 weeks of pay. You will not really be able to figure it out though. None of us can as each and every case is different, and the amounts are never the same.

Thank you all. The previous responder sent me the link that states about the the over/under 50% information. I am waiting for the rating from the doctor that did the surgery. There are other circumstances and they want me to go to a different doctor for post-op treatment. I'm assuming that is because this doctor will lessen the rating and send me back to work status prematurely. This is the most awful situation. How can we help others that are going through this?

by staying on this site and walking the newbys thru...its a cold cruel world dealing with WC welcome and sit a spell
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

what are your injuries and what surgery did you have?
SETTLED!!!

jayne Wrote:by staying on this site and walking the newbys thru...its a cold cruel world dealing with WC welcome and sit a spell

Thank you Jayne,

Yes, I am learning about the unfair practices (if not unlawful) practices that are going on. I will stay on and as I learn, I'll share the information.

Do you know if it takes years or months to get an impairment settlement?

Also, what are the next steps...will there be another IME? When are you considered MMI?

Thanks for your help and patience with a newbie. I just fired my lawyer. He was no better than the nurse or the insurance co or the hired gun doctors they sent me to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ratings tbrghtmn 6 826 01-17-2015, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tbrghtmn
  Stacking of PPD ratings in WA?? doglover61 4 3,566 11-17-2013, 12:13 AM
Last Post: doglover61
  Wrong ratings, etc. bethsha211 3 2,754 08-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Last Post: bethsha211
  Disability ratings Safecracker 3 4,525 11-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Last Post: 1171
  2 impairment ratings hurting in tn 5 5,690 06-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  AVERAGE $$ VALUE OF PPD RATINGS IN CALIFORNIA 1171 13 17,021 01-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Last Post: bronco54501
Question Need information on impairment ratings, not sure what to do! Sha49 7 13,844 11-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
Question ratings stormy3 8 5,449 02-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Last Post: lfoster21
  some of the way they figure ratings out. VT shoulder2 4 3,956 04-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Last Post: 1171
  Ratings robert38 17 7,058 03-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Last Post: stiffnecked