Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Treatments for Back Pain
I had physical therapy, I only have one session left on the doctor's orders.

The therapist re-evaulated me today, she said I have not made progress in the 6 weeks I have been in PT and the level of pain has not reduced.

PT plans to call my doctor and talk to him about other forms of treatment.
I had physical therapy; I only have one session left on the doctor's orders.

The therapist re-evaluated me today, she said I have not made progress in the 6 weeks I have been in PT and the level of pain has not reduced.

PT plans to call my doctor and talk to him about other forms of treatment.

I am lost here, not having back problems before I am not familiar with types of back treatment.

My problem is low back with sciatic nerve involvement.
Also today the PT said my muscles in the thoracic area were very tight. (This may be from the fall I had Friday.)

I am open to any information you care to share.

Thanks,

Bummer Knees

I am lost here, not having having back problems before I am not familiar with types of back treatment.

My problem is low back with scatic nerve involvement.
Also today the PT said my muscles in the thoracic area were very tight. (This may be from the fall I had Friday.)

I am open to any information you care to share.

Thanks,

Bummer Knees

Hi BK..... I bulged two disks that healed and then two others that also healed. This time it's all 4. When you talk of tight muscles, no matter where they are on the body it is extrememly painful and also painful to stretch them out. I found for my back that aquatic therapy was the best. Loosens all the muscles in your back and legs and makes it so much easier to walk. Of course it depends on what the dx is. I did it at first with a PT and am going to start on my own within the week. Just walking, some squats is really a good work out in the water. relaxes everything. If you're under far enough ( I don't know how tall you are , I'm only 5'2") I have been able to work my arms doing some circles which loosens us the thoracic area. Stretches underwater hurt much less and enable you to get a good workout. Out of everything I've done from injections to work hardening PT I found the aquatics to be the best. I also have fibro so know what the muxcle pain is like. Best of luck . I really hope you get some relief. Also for the sciatic pain look up piriformis stretches. I suffered from piriformis syndrome for a long time. Can't describe the stretch so try to do a cearch maybe you'll find a site with a picture. This also helps greatly for sciatic pain. Again it depends on the dx. I only have the 4 bulged didks. No nerve compression or major herniations. Let me know how you make out.

CAP

I apologize for doing a double post.

I was hurting a lot after todays physical therapy session when I posted.

Thanks Cap for the information.

I am looking for information on different options availible for treatment so I can read up before ther doctor appointment.

Have you had an mri or anything? I had a herniated disc and two bulging discs. I tried pt, no help at all, pain meds and muscle relaxers, no help. Dr said he could try the epidurals (?) but he didn't think they would help. I had surgery.
I think ice helped me more than anything, but I know that won't fix it.
When I had back problems four years ago I tried chiropractic treatments and they didn't help. I guess a lot of it depends on what is actually wrong.
Sorry, I guess I probably didn't help any. I hope you are feeling better soon.

I had MRI & CT scan in March that didn't show anything.

My symptoms started in early April with my right foot/leg pain.

Had same symptoms with the left foot/leg after my knee injury 11/05.

I am glad you cleared that up about the double post, I am having trouble with my eye again and I just thought i was seeing double. I am really sorry that you are having all this trouble BK. I don't know a lot about a back either except that it does hurt. I think an MRI is in order however, so they can find the area that is pitching the nerve. Carol
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

bummer I was told its facet arthropathy aka joint artritis .. on my l5s1 area
as in its pain that is mainly bottom of feet to tops and depending on how long im walking or standing it moves upwards.. My toes feel stiff .. I dont know how to explain it .. i get tingling , burning , weakness and numbness ... but for ecerises t had my doing leg lifts , one at a time but holding onto the back of knee area ..
that seemed to make it not hurt as bad when stretching but let go of the back of knee area and ouchie feel those ham string muscles pulling .

Never had any of this before the fall
and drs all took xrays and seen neck and went hmm lets start here first so still waiting to find out why my left side is like this yet ..reflexes how are yours ?

Bummer, as far as exercise goes, stay at a comfortable pace and don't over do it until they know everything is O.K., but before the Scar Tissue started growing to a point that it put me where I am Today, I used to walk the Bike Trail every day. Our trails were made by taking out old Railroad tracks, and the base is solid enough to walk on but also gives a little, kind of a Pea gravel sand Base. And the incline on a Train can be no higher than 5%, and that makes the trail more user friendly. But don't set around and let things stiffen, try to move as much as you can! My condition is now Chronic Back Pain, my Signature Below, along with Spondyldosis. (Not Sure of that spelling) I also have Facet Athropothy, so as you can see, complications can arise. I hope you have none of these and you are back and at it in no time!!!Wink

Hi Bummer,

I don't know all of the different options for treatment that there might be. I think a plan of treatment probably depends on all of the symptoms a patient has. However, I can tell you what has happened so far with me. Right after I hurt my lower back I started off with PT for a week that was doing absolutely no good at all, sent to have MRI. MRI showed large herniated disk at L4-L5, S1 and I was taken off of PT to avoid further damage. Steroid Injection given; no help. Had surgery and a little relief was given after surgery. At this point they are sending me for a CT Mylogram to see what is still causing me pain.

Bummer I can also tell you that I get the most relief from the pain in my back when I am walking but it increases the pain in my ankle. Sitting is ok for a little while then it really starts to burn around the tail bone and throb at the hip. Heat seems to help my lower back some.

Hope this helps you.
Deb

BK....so it seems we all agree on one thing. Keep it moving. If you don't those tight muscles will get tighter. Light stretches, don't push it. It appears the MRI showed nothing. could be your knee causing it all, back too. You might be walking funny and throwing off balance causing alot of muscle spasms.

CAP

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why you should not get fusion surgery for plain back pain California_Help 5 2,970 10-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Last Post: dusty boy
  Exercise and back pain California_Help 10 3,916 01-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Back from Pain Management UndercovrAngel 6 2,402 08-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Manley2
  back arm pain keeping me up backache 13 3,384 03-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Last Post: backache
  Vickinat & low back pain Bummer Knees 14 5,069 12-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  RSD ALERT..Medications, creams and patches all treatments. Spring 14 6,980 06-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Spring