• Please excuse our dust
  • We are continuing the redesign of our forums
  • We'll get there eventually!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Settlement offer on work comp
I received a settlement offer today from the wc attorney.
This letter reads:

Regarding minor work injury.
An attempt is being made regarding a settlement.
The settlement would include a statement regarding the disputed nature of the total knee replacement as well as the upper right extremity claims.

The letter reads; I have a rating of 37 % to the left lower extremity worth $9,000.00.

A rating of 10% to the right lower extremity worth $3,000.00.

With a 46% whole body.

The letter read the attorney has been given authority to offer $25,000.00 to close out all issues. The insurance company wants to settle and avoid going to court Dec 17th.

History:
The knee replacement surgery was 6/08 and by judges order.

On 1/09 information was presented at a hearing on adding to the claim, the upper right extremity &lumbar spine. (I wait to receive medical treatment for both)

No decision has been made yet and we return to court 12/17 to present additional medical evidence & for the judge to make a decision.

In my opinion this offer is totally crazy.

Thats is crazy!Half you body is disabled and 25 grand to compensate for that.Wait it out go to court.I wish I could even get to a judge!!!lol.IMO that offer to me is insulting to what you've had and have to go through.Good luck and God bless.

I was offered 13k on my 1st settlement offer and the WC Doctor said after a IME that I was Pand Totally Disabled!

We said no and the IC has "upped" the offer during a 8 Hour mediation to approx. 150k plus a MSA. We still have not finalized a settlement because of the MSA cost but I am continue to receive a weekly check and all my medical/prescription cost taken care of. I am over 6 years post injury.

They are probably"low balling you" to see how "hungry" you are.
I do not know the laws of your state on Body Ratings though. What about a Medicare setaside or your future medical?

Good Luck

BK, as you know, every state is different when it somes to WC..

I haven't been on much for the last two months due to schooling. However, when I think back about things you have posted. I am worried about "closing medical". Has everything been taken care of as far as the medical goes?? Is there anything that my need further treatment?? I know you are wise enough to look at the medical issue before the monitary issue, but I thought I would ask.

As far as the monitary issue goes, I would try and look at others with in your state.

Take Care
8-05, Micro laminectomy/disectomy. 10-05 lumbar fusion L5-S1. 2-07 exploritory surgery. 12-07 medical implant, Spinal Cord Stimulator. now receiving SSDI. Jesus died for our sins. Soilders died for our freedom.

It seems to me that first a decision has to be made on the added injuries. Maybe Bummer with some luck that will be taken care of first on the 17th....then you can talk settlement. You know what your injuries are worth and so does you attorney. You'll know when to sign. Best of luck.

The insurance company is wanting to settle prior to the Dec 17th hearing to avoid going to court.

The purpose of the Dec 17th hearing is to present additional medical evidence on the back and arm and to try to convince the judge to make a decision on the above.
We first went to court a year ago on the back and arm and still wait for a decision to be made.

I have 2 IME reports with both doctor's saying the back injury is related to the original injury and 1 IME report that relates the use of the cane to the right upper extermity. And my primnary doctor wrote a letter to my attorney saying the back & upper extermity are related to wc.

My arm grows weaker every day and, I have moderate wasting of the muscles of the hand along with an entrapement of the ulnar nerve at the elbow.

Bummer Knees

I spoke with my attorney this morning and told him we are going to court on the 17th. I want my medical taken care of!

He asid do not take this personal as it is all about the dollar amount with the insurance company.

My attorney said sometings I do not understand, he said due to SSD and work comp offset I may be better off if I settle at $25,000.00, anyone know why that may be?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Work Comp Lien with Fradulent Amounts samistheman 4 617 06-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Last Post: samistheman
  Looking for input - CA work comp *relapse BB019 20 1,557 06-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Last Post: California_Help
Smile 1st offer / Lump sum settlement Mongrel_Money 20 2,501 05-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Mongrel_Money
  can i get a second surgery from work comp due to re-injury during post -op linemanmjk 4 1,199 02-24-2015, 12:29 AM
Last Post: linemanmjk
  re-injure after comp settlement vinga 10 1,284 01-31-2015, 08:43 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Injury while out on work comp Ny state chris T 1 910 12-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Exclamation Work Comp stopped payments unbeleivable lack of knowledge rps 1 1,055 11-13-2014, 03:04 PM
  Settlement offer need advice Junius White 7 2,236 08-25-2014, 07:55 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Alabama WC first settlement offer: suggestions please atvrep1 1 2,459 06-26-2014, 11:12 AM
  First settlement offer Dianaaa 4 2,329 06-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Last Post: bronco54501