Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
helthcare
We ,in the health care field have seen over the years how the ins Co's have taken over the health system.. Something the general public dosen't think much about.

Thanks OMOC

Thanks Old MAN......Your words are music to my ears. I am waiting for there to be some competition. I pay an exuberant amount of money for health insurance. I have good insurance BUT I am stuck with what I have because there is nothing else. I agree that the health insurance industry needs to be "overseen" by the government. I also believe there should be a public option. If the Federal Government wants to offer me good health insurance at a better rate than I have now you can bet I'll give them my money and not BCBS. I don't want anything for nothing. I have no problem having to pay for my insurance BUT it is not affordable at all right now and I have no where else to go. Add my premium up plus co-pays and it's almost my entire income which I might say my income isn't bad.

I believe that congress should 1st address the high cost of premiums and the high cost of health care in general.
I went to a Urologist last year. When I got the statement from my private insurance company, I noticed he had charged a $100 dollar office fee and a $236 dollar cosultation fee! WTH! He did no consultation with me. The Insurance company had paid for this! I called the Insurance company and they said there was nothing they could do about it!

I got the statement for my second visit and there was a $400 dollar charge for a procedure that was not done. I was fed up with this and called this Urology Clinic. After me threatenig to report them, they dropped this charge.

I believe the system as a whole is corrupt. I will never use this Urologist again. He along with many Doctors and Hospitals bleed the Insurance carriers for every nickel. This is what Congress needs to stop 1st along with the high premiums!
My opinion.

Just my note on cancer treatment.

Oncologist $700 weekly
Chemotherapy $6000 weekly

The Dr.'s and Pharmacies are raping the Insurance co. and the insurance co. are raping us. I do not believe if the government had some control here that ALL the medical professionals would stop practicing because they are making less $$$. Where would they all go?? Everyone thinks healthcare is going to go down the toilet. I still have that question of where are all the medical professionals going. Are they going to go onto different professions or just quit their practices and not work. As Jayne said a Pharmacy tech in Germany can treat a migraine and ovarian cyst. I'm sure a Nurse Practitioner could do the same.

Something has to be done to fix this. It is a huge problem that effects almost every American.

Cap

Medical treatment related to cancer is very expensive!

When I was going to the Cancer Center for the tumor at T-12, it cost me $7,600. (my share) for test ran by the onocologist. Then I had the cost of the biopsy, MRI, CT scan, and PET scan, and hospital charges.

Think I had a total of $23,000.00 I paid for medical that year.

Yet, not one single person will answer this question. Why is it the governments job to provide you with healthcare?

Stiffnecked....I don't feel the governemnt HAS to offer me health insurance. I believe the health insurance industry needs some competition so maybe it would be more affordable and if that competition comes from a public plan that's fine with me. I feel health insurance needs to be more affordable not so high priced that folks are spending their entire incomes on it. If it means the government steps in and puts some controls on it I have no problem with it. I believe health insurance is the only insurance that there is no competition with. Car insurance, life insurance , homeowners, etc you can get quotes a dime a dozen. My health insurance, only mine, not including my husband's here is more than all other insurances I pay combined. That's all I'm asking is something to compare to and having a choice. If others feel the government owes them health insuranc ethere's nothing I can do about that.

Bummer...that's a disgrace. I asked one of the nurses one day when my husband was in the hospital what happens to someone without insurance. She said her mother only had medicare and had the same treatment my husband got and they had a man in this hospital( a cancer patient) for 3 months scott free because he was homeless. I don't begrudge anyone medical care but is this why my insurance is so high in order to pay for Chemo for 3 different people....two of which don't have insurance. In that case , yes , I think everyone should have coverage and maybe then it will be more affordable.

freebird Wrote:I believe that congress should 1st address the high cost of premiums and the high cost of health care in general.
I went to a Urologist last year. When I got the statement from my private insurance company, I noticed he had charged a $100 dollar office fee and a $236 dollar cosultation fee! WTH! He did no consultation with me. The Insurance company had paid for this! I called the Insurance company and they said there was nothing they could do about it!

I got the statement for my second visit and there was a $400 dollar charge for a procedure that was not done. I was fed up with this and called this Urology Clinic. After me threatenig to report them, they dropped this charge.

I believe the system as a whole is corrupt. I will never use this Urologist again. He along with many Doctors and Hospitals bleed the Insurance carriers for every nickel. This is what Congress needs to stop 1st along with the high premiums!
My opinion.

boy u changed your tune thanks oldmannnnnn

capricorn Wrote:Stiffnecked....I don't feel the governemnt HAS to offer me health insurance. I believe the health insurance industry needs some competition so maybe it would be more affordable and if that competition comes from a public plan that's fine with me. I feel health insurance needs to be more affordable not so high priced that folks are spending their entire incomes on it. If it means the government steps in and puts some controls on it I have no problem with it. I believe health insurance is the only insurance that there is no competition with. Car insurance, life insurance , homeowners, etc you can get quotes a dime a dozen. My health insurance, only mine, not including my husband's here is more than all other insurances I pay combined. That's all I'm asking is something to compare to and having a choice. If others feel the government owes them health insuranc ethere's nothing I can do about that.

Bummer...that's a disgrace. I asked one of the nurses one day when my husband was in the hospital what happens to someone without insurance. She said her mother only had medicare and had the same treatment my husband got and they had a man in this hospital( a cancer patient) for 3 months scott free because he was homeless. I don't begrudge anyone medical care but is this why my insurance is so high in order to pay for Chemo for 3 different people....two of which don't have insurance. In that case , yes , I think everyone should have coverage and maybe then it will be more affordable.

good stuffff cap

OldManOnCampus Wrote:My Great Grandfather was a explosives man in an underground iron mine in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. He was hurt pretty badly when an blast went off early. The company gave him $20 and told him to come back if he could ever work again. He still had rock in his face and could only walk with a crutch until he died. Thank god insurance was mandated by the government for injured workers. How many think that the system would not have changed if the government had not mandated it? I think we are at the same point with our healthcare insurance system. It has to change or it will bring down our our employers and our state governments as they spend more and more on healthcare.

Our health insurance system will not change unless mandated by the federal government. In most states there is very little competition for insurance services since they cannot sell health insurance across the nation. The majority of states have very little competition for health insurance services. A AMA study found that in 313 metropolitan area the health insurance offerings are dominated by one insurer. A couple examples are; Alabama where Blue Cross Blue Shield of AL has 94% of the market, Arkansas where BCBS AK controls 75%; Georgia where Wellpoint controls 61%; Iowa where Welmark controls 71%; Louisiana where BCBS controls 61%; Michigan where BCBS controls 65%; Missouri where Wellpoint controls 68% of the market.

This shows how little competition in the marketplace. The insurance industry got congress to kill the provision that would have allowed insurance sales nationwide and opened it up to some real competition. The Insurance industry is one of two industries that have an anti-trust exemption. The other is the NFL. There was a proposal to get rid of the anti-trust exemption but the insurance lobbyists got rid of that too. This shows that the health insurance system is violating the basic precepts of the American system of fair competition. They have gamed the system so they have no competition in the individual states.
thanks oldmannn i love reading your thread