Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone do research on their condition?
I have done so much reserch on my condition that I am just about a pro when it comes to it...lol

Seriously though, I have done alot of research and alot of times I just come up empty handed until.......

The first doctor I went to told me that I tore all the ligaments in my hand. That was after having an MRI and a thriple injection arthrogram.
After I had surgery I found out six months later that one of the ligament repairs had failed. This was discovered with a simple x-ray.
The first surgery was a total of 5 procedures. The doctor that did it was only a plastic surgeon not a hand surgeon.
Anyways as some of you know my wrist is in alot of pain. So I still do research and I came across something very interesting. The doctor said I tore all ligaments in my hand. At least the top part of my hand because I never had any test on the palm side of my hand.
That doesn't concern me as much as a ligament on the ulnar side of the wrist. Also where my pain is and it is called the UT ligament. (Ulnotriquetral) Injuries to this ligament are not detected by common methods such as x-rays, MRI or arthrogram. To know if this ligament is Split surgery must be done and at the same time can be fixed as well.
After two years of constant research I came across this from the mayo clinic. So since I can not see my doctor for another 3 months, I faxed him over this information and asked him about it. I don't know if I will hear back from him but It is worth a shot.

I just had to tell everyone =D

Yes, but, was also advised by my doctor and surgeon, to do the research, so I could learn what my body is doing and going through, so I could ask questions. In return, these doctors and surgeons, seen my interest, and then taught me as we went along for 4 or 5 years. Even showed me the basic's of reading X-rays and such. I was taken under their wing, and treated as if I was one of their family.

But, not only had I research my stuff, I also performed research to help others.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Bad Boy,
I have to tell you that through all of the research you have done regarding your own condition, all of us on this forum reap the benefits of your knowledge. I must tell you how much I have appreciated your knowledge and I know other members on here has to feel the same way. So, at this time I want to send a great big 'THANK YOU" for all of your help you have given to all of us. It is people like you and Limbo that have been through so much and you both so unselfishly give of yourselves to help others on this forum. May our Lord always Bless you in ways that you so fully deserve. Love ya, friend!

Cajun Hugssssssssssss,
MJC
Lumbar Laminectomy L5 - S1, Lumbar Disectomy L 4 -5, Cervical Microdisectomy C-4 -5, Cervical Anterior Fusion C 4 -5, Cervical Anterior Fusion C 5 - 6, Lumbar Disectomy, Laminectomy and Foraminotmy L 3 - 4, Cryo Surgery Lumbar. --Ongoing Problems.. Permanently Totally Disabled.

Cookie,
I have done alot of research on my condition as well. Sometimes I beleive that is how I can keep my doctors on their own toes. You have to do this especially when you injuries that are very involved and especially when you continue to have difficults like I have. It is good to learn about your condition this way your doctor knows you are aware of your own situation and they can't try to get by with blowing smoke up your butt. Why, because you are on top of your own issues. At times there are issues I may not quite understand but with the help of people like Bad Boy and Still In Limbo that have similiar problems as myself I know I can always count on the two of them for answers. This is a nice thread and I will be interested in following it to see what type of responses you receive. God Bless you and take care!

Cajun Hugsssssssssss,
MJC
Lumbar Laminectomy L5 - S1, Lumbar Disectomy L 4 -5, Cervical Microdisectomy C-4 -5, Cervical Anterior Fusion C 4 -5, Cervical Anterior Fusion C 5 - 6, Lumbar Disectomy, Laminectomy and Foraminotmy L 3 - 4, Cryo Surgery Lumbar. --Ongoing Problems.. Permanently Totally Disabled.

I am one of the lucky one's ( so Far) I injured the same area of my back twice, and so far no surgery, maybe in the future. I settled my case, but then I was already of retirement age by the second injury. Bad Boy Bad Boy was a big help to me during my settlement , He was a god send and without his help and knowledge I would not be where I am today.
Yes I did research my injury, The inquireing mind of a nurse.........

I follow my restrictions and live with pain daily and there have been times that I try and do to much and then suffer.

Thanks MJC. yeah my last appointment I had with my doctor. Well I think he was blowing alot of smoke up my butt. I asked him to do an x-ray and after the x-ray we went back in the office and he said you don't have a normal wrist. My bf was with me and he asked, is she going to need surgery again. He said never say never and some other crap that went with it and then he said well heres a referral to a PM and when he got up he was so nervous he dropped everything he was carrying. My bf said he is just telling me what I want to hear.
So I sent a fax over to my doctor and with this UT ligament I found out about asked him if it could be that. Not saying he will offer anything but it was worth a shot.
I should probably send him the same thing in the mail as well.
Oh yes I also asked him for a referral for my left hand I have over compensated so much that I can barely pick up anything without feeling a stretch/burning sensation by my elbow. Only more research I guess.

I found out early in this WC game that Knowledge was key. I have spent the last 5 out of my 6 years researching my Injury and my claim. I picked up a ton of knowledge from another forum but thats another story.

Anyone who depends on there Attorney to have all the answers is fooling themselves. I brought a 2nd Attorney onboard when my 1st Attorney finally admitted hw knew nothing about WC. I was lucky to get another Attorney onboard 5 years into my Injury but I was blessed and he is a jem of a Attorney. He actually knows more than I do about WC in my state. LOL I am dangerous bad dangerous though from all my research on the web.

You have to fight these people like there is no tomorrow. They will try and demoralize you., financially devasted you and kick you to the curb the whole time your Attorney has not a clue whats going on.

Be damn sure you have a WC Attorney. A IW needs knowledge in advance to make sure a Attorney is knowledgeable of the laws and statutes of your state.
If a dumb old country boy like me can learn, so can anyone. Never sell yourself short.

Cookie, I know More about the Lower Spine and Pennsylvania w/c Rules and Regs. than I Ever Wanted to Know!!!Rolleyes But without the Knowledge of both, I would have Never been Prepared for the w/c Battles I have Endured, or the Way My Body is Reacting due to My Injury! Knowledge is Power, and knowing what to Expect from Your Body as the Injury Changes it Helps a bit to be Better Prepared, and it also Helps You Protect Your Health by knowing Your Boundaries! What You are doing is a Great Thing, Keep it Up!!Wink

I honestly think my pain is caused by either that UT ligament being split or the orginal surgery debridement of the TFCC, which is were they take out the bad part, well I have a feeling that the whole tfcc could have torn, my first surgeon who repaired that, said there wasn't much left.
After getting the new doctor he only fixed half the problem and has never done an MRI to see if that tfcc healed correctly or is completely torn.
Right before I went on to a new doctor the old one told me I needed a MRI to make sure. Everything I have found on the internet suggest a MRI or arthrogram.
This person I was talking to told me to tell the pain management doctor and he would get auth for a MRI. He works with this doctor and said most of the time his patients with hand injuries come in he gets a MRI they find the problem, correct it with surgery and then he never sees them again in pain management.
So next week I will see what happens

ive done research on my condition ,to see if i can find out about facial ,throat ,head right side numbness ,i just get confused.anyone ever had this with herniated disc in c spine. thanks and hope youve found something to go on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I have done lots of research Louann1963 3 502 02-23-2018, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Louann1963
  c-84 adding a condition in oho samtheyam 10 5,698 05-24-2017, 12:22 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Broken fib/tib with pre-existing condition seestock 3 1,382 02-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Do i have the right to be informed about my own medical condition??? alvinf478 4 2,104 04-03-2015, 01:03 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  Change in physical condition form help KT4411 3 5,160 09-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Last Post: KT4411
  PhD Research Assistance in Ohio PhD Dissert Assistance 1 2,426 12-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Research Study planetboxer 5 2,902 07-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Work starus change question and pre-existing condition linagirl 2 2,864 05-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  post employment medical history report and pre exsisting condition lucy1959 13 13,812 11-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Last Post: kate
  work comp research Bernie57 5 3,731 06-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Last Post: tweety00