Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FCE
hey Lilly some of us have just cant drive on narcs....I wont even try to run my sewing machine when on narcs....tried it once ruined some nice material...lol.Freebird each and everyone of us here have been going ther the WC nightmare some of us have settled and stay to help the newbys get thru....some get well enough to go back to work...some gets pushed back to work before they are fixed and more damage is done...some put the finace part of thier lives ahead of the health part...I choose to stay to help ...fussing with you doesnt help...the fact is of us old timers that have been thru several FCEs with good and bad....I have had them call and say do not take your meds and others say to take your meds.....so not knowing I spoke to my doc and lawyer..they said to be a true reading it has to be without meds....at my last FCE a court appointed one she asked if I had taken a pain killers when I said no she asked if I had them with me I said yes and she said you may need them when we are done.I am judgemental I never said I wasnt anyone who comes on here and says something that may hurt an injured worker I am gonna speak up....now I have been in the system about 4 years Limbo over 5 and Badboy even longer AQA just as long... these people know the system. Lilly has been here as long if not longer than I......so you dont care for me...I will get over it but dont discount the wisdom of the other oldtimers on here they stay to help....
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

jayne, I never said I did not care for you. We disagree and thats okay. I have been and still am in the WC System over 6 years. I also know WC.
I have been through much in 6 years. Surgeries turned down, delays, major mid back surgery that was a failure,4 IME, etc.
I still watch for the mail to run to see if the mailman pulls in wanting a signature for a certified letter.
I have had to fight for my benefits, had to fight for SSDI. I just refuse to let this system destroy my integerity of life.

My point in taken prescription Narcotics along with other meds on a daily basis is to have quality of life not warp my mind to a point I cannot function normally. I feel most who take prescription narcotics for pain adjust to the side effects after a period of time.

If I was a IW who was found MMI, told to take a FCE with the hope of going back to work, why would I not take my pain meds before the FCE?
Realize, most FCE's are performed to place someone back to work.

I know I am a newbie on this site but with 6 years of being in the WC System should qualify me to know a teenie little about the ends and outs of this system.

I have also learned not to carry my feelings on my shoulder. I try hard to give it over to Jesus and let him handle my problems.

freebird Wrote:
TiredOfHurting09 Wrote:Everywhere I have ever worked did NOT allow you to take narcs of any kind while you were working or going to be working.

JMO but I would not take my pain meds before because I would want it to show what I was or wasn't able to do naturally on my own.

I have never worked at a Industrial site that said you could not take prescription narcotics and work if released to do so by your Doctor.

Taking a narcotic is not a automatic pass to not working. If this was true, Half the Baby Boomer crowd would be unemployed.

If your dosage is so high it impairs you in working and or driving then you should be declared totally disabled by your Pain Management Doctor.

How can a Doctor release you back to the workforce if you are on a controlled prescription narcotic? It happens all the time.

Really it all boils down to what kind of work you have to perform. I drive 7days aweek 180 miles aday and my employer said no way.... Not only does it risk them but thier insurance too.
Now for instance, you get in accident, and you kill someone and you have vicodin, oxxy, fentnal. or what say you. and your higher then a kite even though you have script who do you think is responsable. I have been through this and when it comes right down it should not be alowed for there is a line and when does it stop.......................My oppinion only

bronco54501 Wrote:
freebird Wrote:
TiredOfHurting09 Wrote:Everywhere I have ever worked did NOT allow you to take narcs of any kind while you were working or going to be working.

JMO but I would not take my pain meds before because I would want it to show what I was or wasn't able to do naturally on my own.

I have never worked at a Industrial site that said you could not take prescription narcotics and work if released to do so by your Doctor.

Taking a narcotic is not a automatic pass to not working. If this was true, Half the Baby Boomer crowd would be unemployed.

If your dosage is so high it impairs you in working and or driving then you should be declared totally disabled by your Pain Management Doctor.

How can a Doctor release you back to the workforce if you are on a controlled prescription narcotic? It happens all the time.

Really it all boils down to what kind of work you have to perform. I drive 7days aweek 180 miles aday and my employer said no way.... Not only does it risk them but thier insurance too.
Now for instance, you get in accident, and you kill someone and you have vicodin, oxxy, fentnal. or what say you. and your higher then a kite even though you have script who do you think is responsable. I have been through this and when it comes right down it should not be alowed for there is a line and when does it stop.......................My oppinion only

So you are saying if you take narcotics for pain, you should have your Drivers Liscense revoked?
If one is "higher than a kite" they should not be driving. I am not "higher than a kite" when I take my Pres. narcs. for pain.

Quote: Really it all boils down to what kind of work you have to perform. I drive 7days aweek 180 miles aday and my employer said no way.... Not only does it risk them but thier insurance too.

Bronco I agree with you 100% . My job is home health and I care for the elderly in their home. No way would I want someone who is on narcs caring for my elderly aunt or family member. Just imagine what could possibly happen. Not to mention I have to take them to the doc run errands and also a over 60 mile round trip just to go to work. I know some people think that the narcs do not affect them but no matter how long you have been on them they do mess with your reflexes and other things in the brain. Kind of like a person who is a drinker he has a beer and says oh I am fine it doesn't affect me and in all reality it slows things down. I watched a special on the effects of narcs and also alcohol (not taking both at the same time) and the people they did the testing on were in tears when it was over because they never dreamed that it effected them like it had and both side studied had been drinking or taking narcs for years and never felt high or funny from it.

So then.... we all agree that you should or should not take your pain meds prior to an FCE depending on how you personally feel about the matter.

Jayne, While I understand your comments about your Dr and lawyer and your own driving issues and one should follow their Drs advice, I would argue the opposite; that the FCE is to determine current functional ability once the IW's condition has stabilized and that the all treatment ( which by definition wold include medication) is assumed be necessary to maximize current functional ability. To not take the required daily meds then is deceptive by presumably lowering functional capacity.

While that underestimate may be good for the atty's settlement fee it would not represent a valid result if, and only if, the IW did use significant pain meds on a a daily basis just to function around the home etc. Sporadic, as needed use would not be expected to alter the test results.

That's the theoretical consideration answer. The real answer from the PT and rehab journals is that it doesn't make a difference in classifying the IW as none, sedentary, light medium or heavy work ability since the meds don't allow a large jump in function.

Why not to take pain medications for a FCE?

Because, medications don't remove the pain, it does dull the pain, and help remove the sharp pains. Masking the mind from knowing now if a person is causing themself harm. Next, since a persons medication will get alltered through life, and in some cases even stopped or no longer needed. Being this is a true fact, I had been instructed not to take pain medications while performing an FCE.

And once again I repeat;

My True Proven EXAMPLE of and FCE on Pain Medications; I had performed several FCE's. When I did perform one of them, I was on Pain Medication that you just couldn't stop taking, and you must slowly get off them. The results of my FCE this time while on those Pain medications, shown that I could perform at a very Heavy Duty work. Why? Because without knowing there were any real hard sharp pains, I pushed myself self through these task, and was very lucky I didn't do more damage to myself. I was in major pain after this FCE for a total of 3 months.

My proven FCE's off pain Medication; These FCE's, I was able now to say, I was getting sharp pains, in the injured areas, and then the task was stopped in time. The results were even more true, the when on Pain medications, for I and the person performing such FCE's, could then get a better idea of what was or wasn't bring on pain. After these FCE's, I was sore but didn't have to suffer 3 months of major pain like I did when I took a FCE on Pain Medications.

It's my opinion, that I wouldn't take pain medications while performing an FCE, but bring your medication with, so after the FCE you can take them. Without pain medication, you able to be the real you, and not a masked person behind medication, allowing for better judgement on what will and wont cause you pain.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

I think you proved my point but simply used poor judgement in overdoing the tasks asked of you more than you would have at home.

Show Off.......

Must have been a cute Physical Therapist.

Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:Why not to take pain medications for a FCE?

Because, medications don't remove the pain, it does dull the pain, and help remove the sharp pains. Masking the mind from knowing now if a person is causing themself harm. Next, since a persons medication will get alltered through life, and in some cases even stopped or no longer needed. Being this is a true fact, I had been instructed not to take pain medications while performing an FCE.

And once again I repeat;

My True Proven EXAMPLE of and FCE on Pain Medications; I had performed several FCE's. When I did perform one of them, I was on Pain Medication that you just couldn't stop taking, and you must slowly get off them. The results of my FCE this time while on those Pain medications, shown that I could perform at a very Heavy Duty work. Why? Because without knowing there were any real hard sharp pains, I pushed myself self through these task, and was very lucky I didn't do more damage to myself. I was in major pain after this FCE for a total of 3 months.

My proven FCE's off pain Medication; These FCE's, I was able now to say, I was getting sharp pains, in the injured areas, and then the task was stopped in time. The results were even more true, the when on Pain medications, for I and the person performing such FCE's, could then get a better idea of what was or wasn't bring on pain. After these FCE's, I was sore but didn't have to suffer 3 months of major pain like I did when I took a FCE on Pain Medications.

It's my opinion, that I wouldn't take pain medications while performing an FCE, but bring your medication with, so after the FCE you can take them. Without pain medication, you able to be the real you, and not a masked person behind medication, allowing for better judgement on what will and wont cause you pain.

You performed a FCE? I am a little confused here.

May I ask what the results were from these 2 different FCE's from the Therapist who performed the FCE's pen?
I was found sedentary with restrictions after a T12 Corpectomy with a fusion from T11 - L1 and a Titanium cage with bolts and screws. T12 Vertebrate was sheered.

What prescription narcotics/drugs were you taken and what was the strength of these meds?

I am fairly sure that most who suffer from chronic pain knows that narcotics only alter the minds train of thought concerning pain hence chronic.

I am trying to understand the super human strength you obtained and also you saying you were addicted having to detox?

I have never heard a explanantion like this in my life.

oh no you didnt just dis Bad boy mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what nerve
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......