• Please excuse our dust
  • We are continuing the redesign of our forums
  • We'll get there eventually!
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Failed Anterior Cervical Fusion
I had multiple level ACDF surgery October 7 2008, I have worn my Bone Stimulator every Day for 4 Hour's. My last visit to my Dr. showed on my x-ray that one level did not fuse. Cadaver Bone was used and a Titanium Plate as well. I still have pain and numbness in my neck, shoulder's, as well as my forearm and hand. Now I am looking at another surgery this time on the back, Posterior neck region, and will have bone from my hip used. I would like to know if anyone has had a surgery like this and if so what should I expect. On March 9 2009 I had a c-scan done and now am waiting for a surgery date to be set. The plate that I have has 7 screws instead of 8, could that be why it didn't fuse? Any input would help, thank you, Michael49

mmmmm man I cant help you... stiffneck and Bad boy could tho as both had multiple surgeries on the cervical area
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Michael: I had a 3 level fusion, one level failed and it took 5 years for the disc to finally fuse but it did with time. Currently, the level below the fusion is failing so I will be having the posterior surgery with a rod.
Here's a link to a site that will tell you about the surgery. Hope it helps.
http://www.eorthopod.com/public/patient_...usion.html
Babebahn..."Tongues don't have erasers"
Injured 1999 3 level anterior cervical fusion 2001
Settled Work Comp Case 2006 w/ Lifetime Medical Currently, C7-T1 is being watched will possibly need surgery front/back fusion from C3-T2, lower back needs another facet injection.

First is, you didn't say what the levels were that are fused. Like C4 -C5 or C4 to C6 and so on. Next it has only been a little over 5 months. Sometimes one fusion takes much longer then the others to fuse. I had one that didn't show fused for about 11 months.

I had 4 surgeries. 3 were anterior 1 was Posterior. When I had the Posterior perform with the Rods, I demanded a Bone Stimulator be placed inside, it's an implant, and it worked well. For I am now fused at 6 levels, from C3 to T1. After 1 year, it then gets removed. I had always used the Cadaver Bone, and never a Hip Bone. Cadaver Bone is Cell free, meaning your blood gets sucked up into the cell free Cadaver Bone to create your cells and promote growth and fusion. You bodies Anti-Bodies rush to this area, as if they sence an infection, but there isn't one. Pre-medication before and after surgery is well needed. You must tell your Dentist of this implant, and pre-medicate before any work is done, even a cleaning.

Pain and numbness will and could be common for a great deal of time, it depends on how bad an injury it was and how much damage was done. Plus the fact of how much effect the nerves took on. Nerves take a long time to heal.

Either operation is about the same to me. Just one is from the front, and the other from the rear is all.

I had 3 cervical surgeries, a posterior microdisectomy and then 2 anterior fusions. The healing and the pain from the surgeries as per recovery were about the same. The only thing different was with the fusions I had to wear a hard collar for a long time then a soft collar for a while after that before I could go without anything support for my neck. They used cadaver bones and I had no hardware. My surgeries so far appear to be successful. I am so sorry to hear of your ongoing problems. Praying that this surgery will take care of your problem and you can have a good recovery.

MJC
Lumbar Laminectomy L5 - S1, Lumbar Disectomy L 4 -5, Cervical Microdisectomy C-4 -5, Cervical Anterior Fusion C 4 -5, Cervical Anterior Fusion C 5 - 6, Lumbar Disectomy, Laminectomy and Foraminotmy L 3 - 4, Cryo Surgery Lumbar. --Ongoing Problems.. Permanently Totally Disabled.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad 2 failed FCEs Beetendwn2 4 1,609 05-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Last Post: dusty boy
  CA FAILED TO INFORM CONSULTANT I HAVE AN ATTORNEY inquiringMIND 4 2,176 03-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Last Post: inquiringMIND
  failed rfa...back to surgery FunPops 4 3,477 08-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Last Post: FunPops
  Failed Spinal Fusion at S1-Pelvis area brentaw 6 6,738 03-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  failed laminectomy-discetomy highdesertguy 2 5,665 12-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  failed drug test jezuzfreak 12 16,297 06-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  cervical fusion and discectomy questions BooBoosNeck 3 7,026 04-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  returning to work after global(anterior/posterior) fusion jstadfrntpn 8 7,956 11-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Last Post: jstadfrntpn
  cervical fusion hurt at work 2 2,653 09-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Last Post: hurt at work
  What happens if failed drug test? gitrdonegrouper 21 18,369 03-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Last Post: lostinconnecticut