Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Current time: 05-28-2015, 12:01 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ACDF recovery time
03-23-2009, 01:25 PM
RE: ACDF recovery time
The point being nothing more than most ACDF's are back to work in 4 months or so regardless of circumstances. Litigation is said to prolong disability and perhaps it does but no one is going to quibble over a few weeks. I don't think job protection is a consideration on the whole.

tpm Wrote:
Cycler Wrote:Here is a study from The Spine Journal in 2002 comparing RTW and function after cervical fusion between WC and non-WC patients. Group 1 is WC and took 2 months longer.

We won't get into the why's......

"Results: At follow-up no discernible difference was noted for functional outcomes. Eighty-three percent of patients in Group 1 and 90% of patients in Group 2 noted excellent or good results. This was not statistically significant (p=.280). In Group 1, 97% of patients returned to work at an average of 18 weeks, whereas 98% of patients in Group 2 returned to work at an average of 10 weeks postoperatively. Upon radiographic evaluation, 64% of patients in Group 1 were determined to have a solid fusion (Grade 3). The fusion rate in Group 2 was 72%. This was not statistically significant. However, the fusion rate among smokers was 50%, and among nonsmokers it was 80%. This was statistically significant (p=.001)."

link to abstract:
http://www.thespinejournalonline.com/art...2/abstract

I'm sorry Cycler but the point being??

I can only assume the first group was able to stay out longer as they had or may of had some job protection seeing as they were hurt in the work place. Although the numbers are not that dramatic. I can tell you first hand That I was out with my first ACDF for exactly 12 weeks because my job protection ran out. I was NOT ready to go back to work as I do physical labor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Surgical billing coding covers all reasonable and necessary care including visits so there is no need for prior approvals in any jurisdiction I am familiar with but perhaps you are correct.

On the other hand the insurance industry data blames secondary gain issues and litigation as prolongers of recovery.

I suppose it depends where you are standing.

Still in Limbo Wrote:I would Guess the w/c Patient would take 2 Months Longer because they would have to wait for EVERY PT Appt. to be Approved by the Adjuster, would have had 2 IME's, 3 IRE's, was Placed at MMI while in the Recovery Room, (That takes Time to Fight), and waiting for the Employer to Contact Their Attorney, to Make Sure if they took the Worker Back, how long Before They could Fire Them!!!Tongue All of this takes Time Cycler, it just doesn't Happen Overnight!!Wink

Seriously TPM, I Hope You are feeling Better Soon, I know what You have had to go through to get as Far as You have, and You Deserve a Break!!Wink
03-23-2009, 01:37 PM
That was just a Joke Cycler, I was just in a Good Mood and thought I'd throw One Out there!! I haven't had any Injuries in that Area, know nothing about the Recovery Time, and Trust Your Research on the Subject. Litigation May be a Small Part, but I Wonder if Anyone took into Consideration that w/c May Actually want to take a Bit Longer with an Injured Worker, to Make Sure they are Well Enough to Return, thus less chance of Re-Injury? I know I am not the Person to be Siding with w/c on just about Anything, but that could be a Theory!Wink

Failed Back Surgery, Chronic Pain, Totally Disabled.

Knowledge is Power, Especially in the World of w/c. Learn as Much as You can about Your States w/c Laws, and don't Fight Battles alone, They Use Attorney's, and so Should You!!
03-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Cycler states....
"I don't think job protection is a consideration on the whole"

I can tell you first hand it most definitely plays a role but it appears your opinion is what it is and no one is going to change it for whatever reason

Take Care and Be Well
Tom
03-23-2009, 05:30 PM
tpm;
I understood from your post that you were "forced" back early so accepted it was a consideration in your case. To be a larger consideration though would mean that 12 weeks or less of disability is the norm and I don't believe that to be the case for most. I am no HR manager though and so accept that 12 weeks may be the the case for many employees.

tpm Wrote:Cycler states....
"I don't think job protection is a consideration on the whole"

I can tell you first hand it most definitely plays a role but it appears your opinion is what it is and no one is going to change it for whatever reason
03-23-2009, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2009 05:33 PM by Cycler.)
Still in Limbo Wrote:That was just a Joke Cycler, I was just in a Good Mood and thought I'd throw One Out there!! I haven't had any Injuries in that Area, know nothing about the Recovery Time, and Trust Your Research on the Subject. Litigation May be a Small Part, but I Wonder if Anyone took into Consideration that w/c May Actually want to take a Bit Longer with an Injured Worker, to Make Sure they are Well Enough to Return, thus less chance of Re-Injury? I know I am not the Person to be Siding with w/c on just about Anything, but that could be a Theory!Wink

Yes, reflecting of just some of the many travails of the IW outside of the acute phase of treatment. Some of my recent reading contains suggestions a new health care paradigm rendering the whole concept of WC obsolete which would be a boon for all stakeholders (which is really only the employee and the employer, everyone else is just a vendor.)
03-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Cycler, I have read that Journal years ago. As it seems it may apply in a study setting only.

That fact here is, TPM has now under gone a second surgery with an add on fusion. He has a Disc above this cervical disc that is an ify disc that wasn't fused, yet it has been left alone for now. Studies show, healing and fusion rate of time after each ongoing surgery takes longer each and every time, if it does fuse. Major studies have proven, that an implanted bone growth stimulator will help accelerate the fusion process in many with re-peat surgeries, and also with those that smoke, when surgeries in the same area.

Now not so much of a delay in returing to work RTW, as if the employee makes a stand, they don't wish you back till your fully healed, and given a full medical release. Now, that is totally up to an employer. My understandings are, a doctor doesn't wish to fully release their patient, till the person is showing full complete fusion, and can perform a FCE to the functions of their work.

Now with TPM's new surgery here, he has to get in and out of a truck cab, and in and out of the back of the truck / trailer. This takes using his arms over head reaching and pulling upward. If he hasn't built up enough muscle tone in these areas, he can force on even more damage then when he started.

I've had 4 cervical surgeries, 3 level fusion, 3 level revision, healed and went back for a 6 level fusion with Stimulator. I've been around the block on this enough, study and research, and taught by doctor and surgeon.

Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
03-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Knowing that that truck drivers are the number one occupation for developing spine problems, posited on prolonged sitting, bouncing and a theory about low frequency vibrations from expansion joints being detrimental to discs from an old DOT study I would never get back in a truck after two fusion surgeries. Better odds with Russian roulette in my view.

IF I were the employer I would not allow said employee to drive again for my company. It would seem that further deterioration is a given with the very real possibility PTD as an outcome.

My thoughts only....
03-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Cycler, then read back a page or two. You will see more on that subject also.

Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
03-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Geez Cycler:
Then I should have been back to work 7 years ago! After my 3 level fusion, I was told that since one disc/fusion failed but 5 yrs later it grew, I was considered a liability to our Hospital Clinic! Give me a break. I loved my job and even tried to negoiate with my doctors and attorney to go back to work to no avail...so please be careful when posting "journal notices/studies" because again...EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT...CASE BY CASE!Smile The truck driver knows what he can and cannot do, it is up to the individual to decide along with his doctor to determine whether he/she can return to driving. Just my humble opinion.Smile

Babebahn..."Tongues don't have erasers"
Injured 1999 3 level anterior cervical fusion 2001
Settled Work Comp Case 2006 w/ Lifetime Medical Currently, C7-T1 is being watched will possibly need surgery front/back fusion from C3-T2, lower back needs another facet injection.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Approaching my mmi after a 2 level acdf surgery and the nightmare has no end in sight gopack4mvp2 5 1,725 10-25-2014 12:18 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  lvl 3 acdf cervical bossjld 2 818 08-03-2014 12:45 AM
Last Post: bossjld
  recovery time rickandsandy 3 1,265 11-02-2013 06:27 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Med recovery management Speedyro1970 2 1,877 08-22-2013 08:52 PM
Last Post: Speedyro1970
  ACDF AND SHOULDER SURGERY NevadaCervical 4567 4 3,254 01-29-2013 10:37 PM
Last Post: NevadaCervical 4567
  My Recovery after laser surgery darrinb 15 4,070 07-10-2012 07:54 PM
Last Post: jayc123
  Want to take charge of my recovery Lostinsystem 1 1,434 02-08-2012 02:04 PM
Last Post: 1171
  ACDF at c5-6 QLD Australia Bilistik 0 1,322 06-08-2011 03:46 AM
Last Post: Bilistik
  After settlement letter from WC recovery service badbehavior 4 6,536 09-08-2010 11:14 AM
  3 level laminectomy-diskectomy,recovery highdesertguy 2 7,164 03-18-2010 09:04 PM