Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACDF recovery time
hey Bad Boy

I think it was the slurry thing with the cage. The doctors office called me back and prescribed some muscle relaxers. said it should make a big difference over the next couple of days. She said it may have been the way I was on the table that aggravated the muscles. We'll see, I have a followup visit on the 19th

Be Well
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

TPM, I asked because many people I talked too that had the cage seem to be hurting after the surgery. Well, just take it easy, if you find out if it really was a cage or not, let me know.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

Another question

As you know this is my second time around with a ACDF. Lately when waking I find my upper spine, entire neck including a sore throat, plus across my shoulders are very stiff or frozen. Once I try to turn or change positions everything loosens up. I never experienced this with my first surgery. How about anyone else?

Thanks and Be well
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

Well, to my world now TPM. Naw just kidding.

You just had C4 - C5 done. That is the shoulder or connection with the muscles and nerves. The sore throat I had for awhile either on surgery 2 or 3 and lasted about a month, coming and going.

You didn't state what type meds your on or taking?

The stiffness I had like you also. Once you start PT, get a list of these things to do on paper, for you have to perform them for life now.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

ahhhhhhhhhh the stiffness it is a lasting thing if you dont do your pt daily ......the lump in your throat will go away in a couple of weeks it will just get less and less each day.....I hated that choaking feeling worse than the pain....you will do fine be patient that was my biggest stumbling block I am not patient
........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......

Thanks guys

Luckily my throat is OK for the most part. It only acts up when I wake up with that frozen feeling. Sometimes the meds don't go down too well

Bad Boy
I am taking Norco. Ultram, Robaxin 2000 a day, and Moltram. The Robaxin pills are pretty large
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

Here is a study from The Spine Journal in 2002 comparing RTW and function after cervical fusion between WC and non-WC patients. Group 1 is WC and took 2 months longer.

We won't get into the why's......

"Results: At follow-up no discernible difference was noted for functional outcomes. Eighty-three percent of patients in Group 1 and 90% of patients in Group 2 noted excellent or good results. This was not statistically significant (p=.280). In Group 1, 97% of patients returned to work at an average of 18 weeks, whereas 98% of patients in Group 2 returned to work at an average of 10 weeks postoperatively. Upon radiographic evaluation, 64% of patients in Group 1 were determined to have a solid fusion (Grade 3). The fusion rate in Group 2 was 72%. This was not statistically significant. However, the fusion rate among smokers was 50%, and among nonsmokers it was 80%. This was statistically significant (p=.001)."

link to abstract:
http://www.thespinejournalonline.com/art...2/abstract

Cycler Wrote:Here is a study from The Spine Journal in 2002 comparing RTW and function after cervical fusion between WC and non-WC patients. Group 1 is WC and took 2 months longer.

We won't get into the why's......

"Results: At follow-up no discernible difference was noted for functional outcomes. Eighty-three percent of patients in Group 1 and 90% of patients in Group 2 noted excellent or good results. This was not statistically significant (p=.280). In Group 1, 97% of patients returned to work at an average of 18 weeks, whereas 98% of patients in Group 2 returned to work at an average of 10 weeks postoperatively. Upon radiographic evaluation, 64% of patients in Group 1 were determined to have a solid fusion (Grade 3). The fusion rate in Group 2 was 72%. This was not statistically significant. However, the fusion rate among smokers was 50%, and among nonsmokers it was 80%. This was statistically significant (p=.001)."

link to abstract:
http://www.thespinejournalonline.com/art...2/abstract

I'm sorry Cycler but the point being??

I can only assume the first group was able to stay out longer as they had or may of had some job protection seeing as they were hurt in the work place. Although the numbers are not that dramatic. I can tell you first hand That I was out with my first ACDF for exactly 12 weeks because my job protection ran out. I was NOT ready to go back to work as I do physical labor
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

I would Guess the w/c Patient would take 2 Months Longer because they would have to wait for EVERY PT Appt. to be Approved by the Adjuster, would have had 2 IME's, 3 IRE's, was Placed at MMI while in the Recovery Room, (That takes Time to Fight), and waiting for the Employer to Contact Their Attorney, to Make Sure if they took the Worker Back, how long Before They could Fire Them!!!Tongue All of this takes Time Cycler, it just doesn't Happen Overnight!!Wink

Seriously TPM, I Hope You are feeling Better Soon, I know what You have had to go through to get as Far as You have, and You Deserve a Break!!Wink

Thanks Limbo !
Take Care and Be Well
Tom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 level acdf c5-t1 sore neck 6 1,651 09-10-2016, 04:00 PM
Last Post: sore neck
  Approaching my mmi after a 2 level acdf surgery and the nightmare has no end in sight gopack4mvp2 5 5,644 10-25-2014, 12:18 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  lvl 3 acdf cervical bossjld 2 1,879 08-03-2014, 12:45 AM
Last Post: bossjld
  recovery time rickandsandy 3 2,911 11-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Med recovery management Speedyro1970 2 3,950 08-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Last Post: Speedyro1970
  ACDF AND SHOULDER SURGERY NevadaCervical 4567 4 7,649 01-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Last Post: NevadaCervical 4567
  My Recovery after laser surgery darrinb 15 9,289 07-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Last Post: jayc123
  Want to take charge of my recovery Lostinsystem 1 2,556 02-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Last Post: 1171
  ACDF at c5-6 QLD Australia Bilistik 0 2,011 06-08-2011, 03:46 AM
Last Post: Bilistik
  After settlement letter from WC recovery service badbehavior 4 8,767 09-08-2010, 11:14 AM
Last Post: 1171