Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Current time: 04-28-2015, 01:18 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ACDF recovery time
03-08-2009, 03:28 PM
ACDF recovery time
Hello again
Tomorrow (Monday) I am going back in for another ACDF of my C4-5. I had previous surgery on my C5-7 back in May of 2007. My first surgery the doctor gave me a minimum of 12 weeks to recover before going back to work. What can I expect this time providing he only does one of my 2 bad discs? Should I be thinking if it is only one disc the recovery time will be less OR because of previous surgery I can expect a least another 12 or so weeks. The one question I forgot to ask the surgeon. Sad

Thanks and Be Well

Take Care and Be Well
Tom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2009, 03:54 PM
RE: ACDF recovery time
you can bet at least 12 weeks...maybe longer as he will want to be really sure you are ok

........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......
03-08-2009, 04:22 PM
OK Jayne Thanks much
Guess I'll know soon enough
Be well

Take Care and Be Well
Tom
03-08-2009, 05:18 PM
TPM be prepared to really take it easy for awhile you have had 2 major operations in 2 years on your cervical....please be very careful

........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......
03-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm planning on it Jayne

Thanks

Take Care and Be Well
Tom
03-08-2009, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2009 06:02 PM by Bad Boy Bad Boy.)
It's only my Opinion. Is since only 1 of two known bad disc are in the picture, I would see a time of way more than 12 weeks here. I don't understand your surgeons plan with you, knowing there are 2 trouble disc in this picture. I don't understand how he/she is seeing this. Other than looking at another surgery soon down the road.

Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
03-08-2009, 06:13 PM
I agree with Bad Boy. I would expect once he is inside he is going to be looking at everything else, you know poking & prodding...I bet your recovery period will be about 6-9 months...wishing you all the best.

Babebahn..."Tongues don't have erasers"
Injured 1999 3 level anterior cervical fusion 2001
Settled Work Comp Case 2006 w/ Lifetime Medical Currently, C7-T1 is being watched will possibly need surgery front/back fusion from C3-T2, lower back needs another facet injection.
03-08-2009, 06:16 PM
I agree with you Bad boy. I think he is trying to buy me time with minimizing my rom and whatever else. But I will plead my case again before the surgery tomorrow.
As for the recovery time if in fact I am able to resume driving a truck again I can afford to be out as long as October, later than that I won't have a job.
I have to remain optimistic and Thank You

Take Care and Be Well
Tom
03-08-2009, 07:25 PM
And I of all people want you to be (optimistic) and (positive).

I must say, I don't know what kind of truck your driving, or what kind of CDL License your holding? But, there are some Rules, in the big CDL book, on this kind of work being done to your body, which prohibits you from driving with a CDL. Plus the fact, your employer, is to have you perform not only an FCE, but a full DOT (medical & physical ability) work up. And Re-certified for the DOT. Most companies Insurance Carriers require this. If none of that is done, and you do drive, you and the employer could be sued if you were in an accident, and your medical gets found out.

I had told you before I carry a CDL also. I drove 18 wheelers and down. When the Attorney's performed a Depo on my Surgeon, they asked him if I was able to drive a truck again. He stated flat out no, and that if I did drive a truck now, that he would not want to share the road with me. Then they requested the same information from my W/C treating doctor, which is occupational Medical, and does do DOT certifacations. he pointed out I could not possibly pass the DOT requirements now, and he copied the pages from CDL Laws and Rules, showing I should not be allowed to drive trucks.

Needless to say, I am trying to help you prepare for the possible (what's) next issue for you soon. Hopefully everything works out well for you.

Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
03-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Bad Boy Bad Boy Wrote:And I of all people want you to be (optimistic) and (positive).

I must say, I don't know what kind of truck your driving, or what kind of CDL License your holding? But, there are some Rules, in the big CDL book, on this kind of work being done to your body, which prohibits you from driving with a CDL. Plus the fact, your employer, is to have you perform not only an FCE, but a full DOT (medical & physical ability) work up. And Re-certified for the DOT. Most companies Insurance Carriers require this. If none of that is done, and you do drive, you and the employer could be sued if you were in an accident, and your medical gets found out.

I had told you before I carry a CDL also. I drove 18 wheelers and down. When the Attorney's performed a Depo on my Surgeon, they asked him if I was able to drive a truck again. He stated flat out no, and that if I did drive a truck now, that he would not want to share the road with me. Then they requested the same information from my W/C treating doctor, which is occupational Medical, and does do DOT certifacations. he pointed out I could not possibly pass the DOT requirements now, and he copied the pages from CDL Laws and Rules, showing I should not be allowed to drive trucks.

Needless to say, I am trying to help you prepare for the possible (what's) next issue for you soon. Hopefully everything works out well for you.

I hear what you're saying Bad Boy. I went back to work after my first double ACDF back in 2007 and passed my DOT recert. even with a couple of meds that had to be approved by the DOT. My concern is that I won't physically be able to do it any longer. I drive an 18 wheeler also and must "couple and uncouple" a few times a day. Pulling that pin is not the best with an upper injury. I also have limited movement with looking out the back window while moving the tractor around the yard or in the building or even hooking up for that matter.
I'm taking it one day, one challenge at a time. I listen to everything you have been saying over the past couple of years and respect your knowledge and Thank You

Take Care and Be Well
Tom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Approaching my mmi after a 2 level acdf surgery and the nightmare has no end in sight gopack4mvp2 5 1,563 10-25-2014 12:18 PM
Last Post: California_Help
  lvl 3 acdf cervical bossjld 2 778 08-03-2014 12:45 AM
Last Post: bossjld
  recovery time rickandsandy 3 1,199 11-02-2013 06:27 PM
Last Post: Manley2
  Med recovery management Speedyro1970 2 1,776 08-22-2013 08:52 PM
Last Post: Speedyro1970
  ACDF AND SHOULDER SURGERY NevadaCervical 4567 4 3,057 01-29-2013 10:37 PM
Last Post: NevadaCervical 4567
  My Recovery after laser surgery darrinb 15 3,953 07-10-2012 07:54 PM
Last Post: jayc123
  Want to take charge of my recovery Lostinsystem 1 1,394 02-08-2012 02:04 PM
Last Post: 1171
  ACDF at c5-6 QLD Australia Bilistik 0 1,300 06-08-2011 03:46 AM
Last Post: Bilistik
  After settlement letter from WC recovery service badbehavior 4 6,438 09-08-2010 11:14 AM
  3 level laminectomy-diskectomy,recovery highdesertguy 2 7,031 03-18-2010 09:04 PM