Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Current time: 04-26-2015, 03:25 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MMI question
11-11-2008, 04:05 PM
MMI question
At what point is MMI determined? I'm about to possibly go back to work with restrictions if my employer will honor them. Working with restrictions is not the same as being at MMI, right?

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2008, 04:39 PM
RE: MMI question
An MMI determination can be made at any time after an injury.
MMI is defined by Industrial Commission Rule 4121-3-32 as “A treatment plateau (static or well-stabilized) at which no fundamental functional or physiological change can be expected within reasonable medical probability in spite of continuing medical or rehabilitation procedures. A claimant may need supportive treatment to maintain this level of function.”
there is no minimum or maximum time limit.
11-11-2008, 11:00 PM
1171 Wrote:An MMI determination can be made at any time after an injury.
MMI is defined by Industrial Commission Rule 4121-3-32 as “A treatment plateau (static or well-stabilized) at which no fundamental functional or physiological change can be expected within reasonable medical probability in spite of continuing medical or rehabilitation procedures. A claimant may need supportive treatment to maintain this level of function.”
there is no minimum or maximum time limit.

So, who does put me at MMI? And they should tell me when I'm at MMI right?

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
11-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Your Drs. that are now treating you on a regular basis, should be the ones to put you at MMI, and yes...they should tell you. I can tell you in my situation, I was being seen for a couple of years, by a surgeon and then that Dr. sent me to a Pain Management dr., who has been seeing me for the past 2 years. In these past 2 years, I have also seen a neurologist and a urologist. I am now at the point that the pain management dr. has done everything that he can think of, to make me better. I will live my life out, on meds. and accupuncture for maintanance. So, my PM dr. said that at my next visit, he will be putting me at MMI. At that point, I will then make an appt. to see my original surgeon and he will also decide if I am at MMI, with him. (It is possible to be at MMI with 1 dr. and not another, since they have different specialties.) My surgeon, since he was my original dr. that w/c approved me to see, will then rate my injured legs and decide if he thinks I am disabled or if I can go back to work with restrictions.

I hope that example helps you to understand the MMI process.
11-12-2008, 01:10 AM
MMI is a medical determination made by any physician at any time.
11-12-2008, 08:57 AM
and thats the truth....you can be seeing your regular doc and he can be treating you for months and say you are NOT at MMI...WC can send you to a quack and he can with a 30 second visit put you at MMI and the rounds at court start

........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......
11-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Yep, I second that. The IC sends you to see their doc, he looks at you for 3 1/2 minutes, says your fine, says nothing was wrong with you to begin with and then says your at MMI. Checks end, the troubles begin.
11-12-2008, 12:43 PM
in the interest of fair discussion you may also be seeing your DR. for years for hot packs and heat, meds or whatever plus ineffective management and being told you are not MMI and then be sent to a highly qualified medical expert with years of experience who can honestly opine that more of the same will not and cannot be expected to resolve the damage and that MMI has been reached.

Not to implicate any poster who would be taking the time to search out help on sites like this but you must recognize that one of the myriad reasons that workers comp is what it is has to do with the amount of perceived and real bogus claims.
The point many miss is that fraud MUST involve a doctor and many, primarily DC's, have been accused of making a living on disability and workers comp patients who may have their own aganda.

It all just depends.
11-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I firmly believe that something needs to be done about ic's being able to PAY OFF doctors to say there is nothing wrong with you, or put you instantly at MMI to save the IC money. I also had a bad experience with a IME doctor for the IC that looked at me all but 10 mins and brought my rating from 32% to 10% without fair testing. Also my medication was instantly stopped due to high cost for them.

If I would of known what I know now, I would of hired a lawyer to fight this " so called AMA guideline" unqualified doctor that only picked up one instrument to test my strength as opposed to my doctor that treated me for over a year and did a 1 1/2 hour test using every piece of equipment the guidelines called for. This is a really sad situation when the IC gets by with this, and also the court believeing such bull from this doctor being more qualified because they have seen his name in court before used by this IC. Make sure that you get this IME doctors credentials to make sure he has done this PIR ratings before and follows the guidelines when you reach MMI.

carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%
11-12-2008, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2008 01:33 PM by 1171.)
I believe all states allow either party at their own expense to obtain and submit the opinion of a physician.