Hello There, Guest! Login Register
Index    |     Search    |     Members    |     Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illinois knee question
I had a torn ACL and torn meniscus. Had surgery( double bundle acl repair) and cut down the meniscus. Everything has been taken care of by work comp (no problems).
I've been told in Illinois each body part is worth a certain amount as far as a settlement is concerned.
My question is this what kind of settlement am I looking at? I know my attorney has an impact on that.
Bills are starting to creep up and I'm just looking for a ballpark. Some friends said $20,000 others said $35,000. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks, Mike

Maybe $10,000.00 to $17,000.00 sounds more in the norm.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

In Illinois, settlements are based on permanent partial disability (PPD). PPD is how the injury affects one on the job in terms of work ability. It is not "pain and suffering". That is a term used in civil law rather than workers' compensation law.

PPD is based on the injury, type of job, and restrictions. The main factors to be considered in settlement include how the injury affects the employee at work, wage changes, hours worked changes, current medical treatment and future medical treatment.
Besides a monetary settlement, one may be entitled to retraining benefits or future medical benefits.
Within types of injuries, there are "ranges" that a case might settle in. They depend an many factors as stated above.

there is no way to give a precise settlement figure as each case is different; and each knee injury is diffferent.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there were so many variables.
Nothing is ever easy is it?

not when it's designed by lawyer legislators to keep them and their colleagues in business.
Reminder :
........Each state has their own comp system; POST YOUR STATE to get accurate information. Use the search feature to find information from similar questions.
THANKS FOR POSTING.

I know that VA's W/C laws are taken from IL's laws, which is where I am located. Just to make sure I was giving you the right info. about an award for a perm. disability, I looked it up online, and this is what I found.

"Where the worker is able to return to regular work but retains permanent limitations or restrictions as a result of the work injury, Illinois law provides for an assessment of permanent partial disability or a % impairment or loss of the particular body part affected.

For example, an arthroscopic knee surgery which results in permanent disability is often compensated at 15% to 20% loss of use of the leg. In cases of permanent injuries of this nature, Illinois law uses a formula for compensation based on the average weekly wage and based on a schedule for the value of each body part."

I hope that helps a little.

lfoster21 I'm from Illinois also. My issues is, as I do have Attorney friends, and some are work comp Attorney's. I get information from them, and I share information with them that helps injured workers. I have yet to see a case that settled here based on a Percentage of loss yet. Or none recent yet. I have been told last week, by one of my Attorney WC friends, that in Illinois, they are seeing more and more $200,000.00 to $250,000.00 claim settlements lately.

My knowledge of the knee settlemenets has been seen as a Mim, of $10,000.00 to $17,000.00, as of last year. I am then guessing from the rencent news that knee's may then increase as well soon, or following with this year also.
Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.

I love the figures...I can only hope I get soemthing like thatWink. As for the %, this article that I found online was only talking about a Permanently impairment award, which is seperate for a settlement. The settlements have to do with loss of income and future health insurance. The 200-250,000 is the settlement amount and not the PI award. See if you can find out from your friends if this article correct about how they figure the Perm. Impairment award. I'd love to hear thier thoughts on that.

So here in NH I received a PI rating of 10% and got my award a few weeks ago. As far as my future medical, I have not heard anything about how long I am covered for my doctors appointments,treatments. I go monthly to PM and also have gangloin injections ( 3 ) that I am going through.[/i]

Is there a time limit for treatment in NH? I cannot seem to find anything to find out that answer. I have never been offered anything from the IC to settle to get me off their backs. If anyone has that answer, I would appreciate it.
carpal tunnel recurrence/ neuropathy / RSD.
1/29/07 injury date. Permanent. PIR settlement 8/4/08 10%

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rolleyes Illinois Question MrRuinedACL 3 571 02-28-2018, 03:35 PM
Last Post: tbear6410
  I cant seem to find out tax question Illinois Steveo190 11 6,753 01-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  Knee Replacement/Knee Injuries HarryO 39 28,063 08-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  Knee Question? Bummer Knees 11 4,775 11-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Babebahn
  Knee Question? Bummer Knees 9 4,542 06-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Bummer Knees