Workers Compensation - Workmans Comp Service Center

Current time: 04-27-2015, 06:27 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Important Notice: We have deployed some new anti-spam measures that have enabled us to once again allow registration with a simple email verification. However, please do not hesitate to report suspected spam threads should they arise.

Spammers take note - your posts, if successful, will not last here. Our community is vigilant in identifying and reporting spam posts for IMMEDIATE removal. Don't waste your time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Distal bicep tendon tear
08-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Distal bicep tendon tear
My hubby was told by the dr. that his injury is probably a bicep tear. They sent it to WC to get an MRI approved. They approved it, and the MRI is set for tomorrow. Also he was told that they only had 3 weeks from the date of the injury to do the surgery. That would be this Friday. Has anyone else seen WC move this quickly to approve treatment. I am just wondering if he will really have surgery this week or not? We are in Nevada.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2008, 05:08 PM
RE: Distal bicep tendon tear
Boy that is fast I really dont know but hang tight someone will come along that will know more for you Good luck

........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......
08-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Hmmm....I donno either, but someone on here does!
I'm bumping this question up for you.
Good Luck, LillySmile

Injured worker, & tired of it all! I'm too old for games!!

A careless word may kindle strife, a cruel word may wreck a life, a timely word may level stress, and a loving word may heal and bless!
08-27-2008, 09:10 AM
That is rather fast for WC, but with a bicep tendon tear it is my understanding that the tendon starts to shrink almost immediately, so any delay in surgery could result in permanent impairment, which in bean counter terms could also be permanent liability.
08-27-2008, 09:35 AM
hope you have a good lawyer

........I love cats, I just cant eat a whole one by myself......
08-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Well, if the Doctor calls it an emergency surgery, then it must be done RIGHT.

I had 1 emergency surgery, never had any problems since then...

Reply's are intended solely for informational purposes. They are based on personal opinions, experience, or research and are "not to be taken as fact or legal advice", otherwise, always consult an attorney or a doctor.
08-27-2008, 02:18 PM
We have been told that they have the best results if the surgery is done within 3 weeks, but they can go out as much as 4 weeks. After that no dr. will touch his arm. Today he called both the wc and the drs to see what is taking so long, and was told that the dr never told wc that surgery was needed so they are under the assumption (and told my hubby) that the MRI was needed to disprove a bicep tear. Also the drs office is telling him that they can't get him in to go over the MRI results until next week. It almost seems like they are dragging their feet on this one so he will be permanently disabled. We are not out for money, we just want his arm fixed so he can go back to work and support our family.
08-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Okay I have decided that this whole WC system is not set up to help the IW. The MRI shows a total bicep tear, also the Dr. says that the muscle has moved up his arm 3 inches. They are doing the surgery on Tuesday, but they wont know if they can even repair it until they get in and see how much the tendon has shrunk. Also the Dr. told him that he will have a loss of range of motion in his arm, and it could be as much as 30%. We called a lawyer and he told us that since WC is paying for the surgery and the claim was accepted that we have no need for an attorney.

Is there a time frame in which we would need to hire an attorney? Or can we wait until after the surgery and PT to see if he does lose any range of motion.

We were also told that if he can never go back to his original job, that the company is going to create a new position just for him, but at about 1/3 of his pay before the injury.
What should we do, we can't support a family on the amount they are going to pay him.
Any advice would be great, Thank you.
08-29-2008, 01:06 PM
your husband can obtain legal representation for his comp claim at any time.
Your husband should familiarize himself with the Nevada work comp laws governing vocational rehabilitation
http://dirweb.state.nv.us/WCS/Handouts/Voc%20rehab.htm
08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
I am admittedly bias, but in my opinion it is best to have a lawyer from day one. The IC starts working on cutting or terminating your benefits from day one, so it is important to have someone on your side to monitor what is going on to make sure everything is on the up and up.

disneyland fans Wrote:Okay I have decided that this whole WC system is not set up to help the IW. The MRI shows a total bicep tear, also the Dr. says that the muscle has moved up his arm 3 inches. They are doing the surgery on Tuesday, but they wont know if they can even repair it until they get in and see how much the tendon has shrunk. Also the Dr. told him that he will have a loss of range of motion in his arm, and it could be as much as 30%. We called a lawyer and he told us that since WC is paying for the surgery and the claim was accepted that we have no need for an attorney.

Is there a time frame in which we would need to hire an attorney? Or can we wait until after the surgery and PT to see if he does lose any range of motion.

We were also told that if he can never go back to his original job, that the company is going to create a new position just for him, but at about 1/3 of his pay before the injury.
What should we do, we can't support a family on the amount they are going to pay him.
Any advice would be great, Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  rotator cuff tear...please advise :) maggiemae4321 3 1,252 01-23-2015 12:04 AM
Last Post: workcomptired
  Achilles tendon fred6060 1 847 03-24-2013 05:03 PM
Last Post: 1171
  Hand Injury Involving Middle Finger Tendon Razortceps 1 6,519 02-29-2012 01:04 PM
  Bulging Disks, Annular Tear, Doctor Says Back to Work Georgedroy 7 7,232 11-20-2011 05:00 PM
Last Post: NYScomp
  Complex Meniscus Tear and Arthritis=WC Covered Total Knee Replacement allison 5 10,072 04-02-2011 11:57 AM
Last Post: Bummer Knees
  R/ shoulder rotator cuff tear jsbbull 2 10,183 03-24-2010 04:38 PM
Last Post: jsbbull
Toungue rotator cuff tear Bernie57 0 3,804 03-04-2010 12:43 AM
Last Post: Bernie57
Sad Possible Rotater Cuff Tear shortapplespice 3 3,825 01-22-2010 02:29 AM
  Tear in L4, 5 ljackson6195 8 6,279 11-05-2009 03:45 PM
Last Post: Bad Boy Bad Boy
  distal bicep tear then tore muscle titansfan55 5 7,543 10-13-2009 03:45 PM
Last Post: Tuffy